Conquer Club

Limit number of newbies in a game

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Limit number of newbies in a game

Postby CanuckSteve on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Limit how many newbies can join a game.
  • only allow
    1 newbie in a game of 6 or fewer player,
    2 newbies in a game of 7 to 12 and
    3 newbies in larger games

Specifics/Details:
I am in a game (#17523957) with 6 players. Three are newbies and all three newbies were kicked out after three rounds.

I understand some of them will join and never play. But to have 50% of the players be newbies, adn all three kicked out after round 3 is frustrating[list]

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
I am wiling to help newbies, but too many in one game takes away from the game strategy, and worse, if they all get kicked, as happened in this game, it realy ruins te game.
Corporal CanuckSteve

Re: Limit number of newbies in a game

Postby riskllama on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:41 pm

pony up for premium, you cheap f*ck. boom, problem solved. whenever i have a freemie complain about turns not being taken, i make a point of delaying them as long as i possibly can and tell them why as a punishment. i can only assume this is good for CC/you're welcome, BigWorm... ;)
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:55 pm

riskllama wrote:pony up for premium, you cheap f*ck. boom, problem solved. whenever i have a freemie complain about turns not being taken, i make a point of delaying them as long as i possibly can and tell them why as a punishment. i can only assume this is good for CC/you're welcome, BigWorm... ;)

First of all, llamo ALWAYS delays his turns, regardless of whether his opponents are Freemies or Premies.
Secondly, his response has nothing directly to do with new recruits in a game, particularly with the issues that Canuck addresses.

Solution: llamo, shut the funk up, problem solved.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby riskllama on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:14 am

no, i don't. wtf r u talking about, vegetable lasagne?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:43 pm

riskllama wrote:no, i don't. wtf r u talking about, vegetable lasagne?

Seriously??
Does anyone else want to chime in on llamo's pathetic denial of the obvious?
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby IcePack on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm against this suggestion. I had been here awhile and managed to convince a good 6-8 of my friends to join roughly the same time. We held big standard games vs one another. If the option wasn't there to play together when they were NR, they wouldn't have come in the first place. Some of them stayed around for years, 3-5 premiums were purchased iirc, and it would have been missed out on had this rule been in place

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:55 pm

IcePack wrote:I'm against this suggestion. I had been here awhile and managed to convince a good 6-8 of my friends to join roughly the same time. We held big standard games vs one another. If the option wasn't there to play together when they were NR, they wouldn't have come in the first place. Some of them stayed around for years, 3-5 premiums were purchased iirc, and it would have been missed out on had this rule been in place

I agree, the initial suggestion is stupid too.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Shannon Apple on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 pm

No way.

I also joined this game because of someone who was already a member. We were members of another website and regularly played different games over Skype. We started a 4 player game, him, me and two other complete newbies. If it hadn't been for that game, I would never have joined this site.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:02 am

IcePack wrote:I'm against this suggestion. I had been here awhile and managed to convince a good 6-8 of my friends to join roughly the same time. We held big standard games vs one another. If the option wasn't there to play together when they were NR, they wouldn't have come in the first place. Some of them stayed around for years, 3-5 premiums were purchased iirc, and it would have been missed out on had this rule been in place

I think this does not address the core of the suggestion. One can imagine workarounds for this, like lifting the restriction if players are on each other's "friends" lists.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby mrswdk on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:41 am

I remember signing up to some website for playing Diplomacy a while ago. They had a system where once a game had filled up, all the players signed up for it were alerted and given a certain amount of time to signal that they were still intending to play. If anyone didn't respond they were clearly a deadbeating noob and got kicked out of their slot so that someone else could take it. Something similar would work on CC too - noobs who sign up and then vanish would get chucked out, noobs actually intending to play would still get their games.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby riskllama on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:47 am

where would all your pts. come from then, mrs?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby mrswdk on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

From players like you.

Burn!
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Like in our legendary Eurasia game.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby riskllama on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:44 pm

we should do another one of those...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:

I think this does not address the core of the suggestion. One can imagine workarounds for this, like lifting the restriction if players are on each other's "friends" lists.

The problem needs to be thought of as "how do we get new players to stay". rather than "how do we limit new players from inconveniencing established players."
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Thorthoth on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

The problem needs to be thought of as "how do we get new players to stay". rather than "how do we limit new players from inconveniencing established players."

Blast you all for making me hold a stance similar to that of Sym-bot, but yes, NRs are not a problem, just play around or through them just like you would with neutral terrs.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:

I don't expect a newbie to start working on a friend's list before even playing.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Shannon Apple on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm

I was almost certain that newbies could only join 4 player games anyway? Was this restriction lifted?
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 pm

chapcrap wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

I don't expect a newbie to start working on a friend's list before even playing.

If you try to invite someone and it fails for this reason, it could emit a helpful warning telling you what to do to make the game possible. Maybe even a link that directly does the friend request.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:I was almost certain that newbies could only join 4 player games anyway? Was this restriction lifted?

This isn't about the number of games a newbie can play. This is about the number of total newbies there can be in a single game.

If you sign up for an eight-player game, you hope to play an eight-player game. If five of those are NRs who deadbeat out, you are essentially in a three-player game. Many people hate the dynamics of three-player games.

(I'm not in favour of the suggestion. I think the problem occurs infrequently enough that we don't need to burden the server with another variable to check. I'm posting just to clarify.)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

If you try to invite someone and it fails for this reason, it could emit a helpful warning telling you what to do to make the game possible. Maybe even a link that directly does the friend request.

How is this not the core of the suggestion? Hes suggesting limiting the number of NR in a game, and I provided my opinion and one example of why.
There are workarounds to many things, like not joining a game with a bunch of NR's to begin with. Or creating games that arent' available for NR's due to player size or map selection.

Both of those things can be done if you wish to prevent this, which does address the core of the issue. Hows that for imagination?

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby riskllama on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:10 am

your creativity is off the fuckin' chart, IP. nicely done... =D>
Lieutenant riskllama

Return to Suggestions