Conquer Club

[GO] [Rules] Rank Restricted Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Rank Restricted Games

Postby degaston on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:38 am

clangfield wrote:A tank game I play has a restriction that you can only create games with ranks up to 4 above and below yours (there is a slider bar that allows you to narrow it further).
This approach would cut out newbie farming by people who should know better; intuitively one might think it would make games harder to fill, but in practice it might encourage people to join in the 'middle' slots if they are confident that they won't be followed in by a much lower rank. Certainly I often wait to join last in order to avoid newbies who deadbeat.

I certainly wouldn't want it to be mandatory. People can have friends with a much different rank, and you shouldn't prevent them from playing each other. Also, some people might want to play a map & settings combination that is not very popular, and restricting the rank might make it almost impossible to fill.

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:i dont reaaly think #1 would make much difference. i think the decline is more complex than any one thing. im not arguing that people dont want it. keep that in mind.
no. 2 tho' seems pretty valid. i never looked at it that way, but i know i jesitate in joining games due to the chance of some clown joining that goi.g to attack all of his 3armies on the first turn.

I wasn't saying that it would solve all of the problems here, but I think it would be a step in the right direction. Even better if this were combined with my suggestion for Unlimited Wait-Lists & Maximum Game Limit.
Last edited by degaston on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier degaston

Postby NoSurvivors on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:52 pm

I feel like a big reason they dont implement this is because it would make things way too easy on high ranked players. The highest ranked players would go from being around 4800 to being around like 6000 because they dont lose as many points because they play the same people all the time and dont have to worry about losing points... I dont know if I am just rambling or actually making sense but it makes sense in my head I swear :P...
persianempire wrote:its when ur food goes bad... you get spoils
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby degaston on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:36 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:I feel like a big reason they dont implement this is because it would make things way too easy on high ranked players. The highest ranked players would go from being around 4800 to being around like 6000 because they dont lose as many points because they play the same people all the time and dont have to worry about losing points... I dont know if I am just rambling or actually making sense but it makes sense in my head I swear :P...

Any benefit from losing fewer points should be offset by a lower win rate. Also, within a closed group, the number of points available is fixed, so if anything, the ratings of high level players who only play other high level players would become more stable.
Brigadier degaston

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:57 pm

degaston wrote:
NoSurvivors wrote:I feel like a big reason they dont implement this is because it would make things way too easy on high ranked players. The highest ranked players would go from being around 4800 to being around like 6000 because they dont lose as many points because they play the same people all the time and dont have to worry about losing points... I dont know if I am just rambling or actually making sense but it makes sense in my head I swear :P...

Any benefit from losing fewer points should be offset by a lower win rate. Also, within a closed group, the number of points available is fixed, so if anything, the ratings of high level players who only play other high level players would become more stable.

yeah, this works the same on all the levels. the better you are the more games you win the higher the level you climb.

i did a tournament a while ago that was set up like this. got some complaints from some people about how a player stayed up top nearly the whole tournament, but got knocked out in the end. but in the end the player that won won the most games over all. it was pretty convincing evidence to me that a league system works.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=710&t=148444
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby ViperOverLord on Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:54 am

Anarkistsdream wrote:Another example of High Players being "high and mighty" and snubbing their nose at lower players. If you are going to do it that way, the maximum any player will ever gain from a game is, what 5 points??? Maybe 10? If you do it that way, you might as well just say that EVERY game is only worth so many points, regardless of level.

I found this comment somewhat ironic given the fact that I had just invited and played with him in a doubles game. Flat rate points per game won't work for obvious reasons....It would have players just going to virtual infinity points. But all of this is beside the point of what the great value of point minimums for joining brings to the table.
Major ViperOverLord

foe entire "ranks"

Postby riskllama on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:37 pm

the suggestion : make it so you can just foe an entire rank of players. cooks, for example - but have the ability to foe ANY rank you desire.
why? because 'riskllama gained 5 points in round 14", that's why. something to think about and/or discuss, anyways...*shrugs*
Lieutenant riskllama

Re: foe entire "ranks"

Postby BIG_John on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:01 pm

You gain 5 from them and lose 30 + to them if they beat you. Great idea Llama! I approve of this message!!! ;)
Major BIG_John

Postby Donelladan on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:30 am

This would be the exact same thing that rank restricted game.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=274&p=853&hilit=restricted#p853
Colonel Donelladan

Postby BrutalBob on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:58 am

Donelladan wrote:This would be the exact same thing that rank restricted game.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=274&p=853&hilit=restricted#p853

A suggestion made in 2006. How could we have missed that.

OWEN LIVES!!!
Lieutenant BrutalBob

Postby Donelladan on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:07 am

Well, the suggestion has been made many times, 2006 is only the first occurence, last one was apparently in 2014 but I didn't really look for it.
Btw, I didn't tell you that your suggestion would be rejected or that it has been proposed multiple times and that you were useless and should have used the search function. Neither did I blame you for missing this suggestion.
So please don't compare me with owen.

I simply let you know that something similar existed and give you a link.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby riskllama on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:57 am

yeah, i guess that is pretty much the same thing, isn't it? didn't search, won't call you owen. carry on, everyone...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby BrutalBob on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Donelladan wrote:Well, the suggestion has been made many times, 2006 is only the first occurence, last one was apparently in 2014 but I didn't really look for it.
Btw, I didn't tell you that your suggestion would be rejected or that it has been proposed multiple times and that you were useless and should have used the search function. Neither did I blame you for missing this suggestion.
So please don't compare me with owen.

Its ok Don. You are new at the job and still learning. Give it time to develop the condescending attitude. At least you see the path you need to follow.

:D
Lieutenant BrutalBob

Have the ability to limit ranks when starting games

Postby xroads on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:30 pm

I have played other online games where you could specify a min or max score that you want to play.

Example many high rankers do not like starting public games as there is always a cook that gets a hot drop & dice and you loose 100 points.

Or a lower rank may not want a higher rank to join so they dont get farmed by a superior opponent.
Lieutenant xroads

Re: Have the ability to limit ranks when starting games

Postby IcePack on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:31 pm

Might want to find the older threads w same suggestionand expand on it

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Re: Have the ability to limit ranks when starting games

Postby Arama86n on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:57 am

Screw the older threads.
Great idea: just implement.

To be honest this is something I believe the powers that be were greatly mistaken about. It has been argued that it would have been counterproductive for the site. I believe that was mistaken.

If I believed my post could make a difference I would argue the point.

This must be rather straightforward from a programming point of view. Sad that obvious improvements like this were spurned due to some roundabout philosophy back in the day.
Major Arama86n

Re: [GO] [Rules] Rank Restricted Games

Postby IcePack on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Merged w the other like suggestions

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Re: [GO] [Rules] Rank Restricted Games

Postby DJENRE on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 pm

+1 Give it a go!
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Previous

Return to Suggestions