Conquer Club

Is there any need/desire for a general newsletter?

Current news, information, and exciting things from the world of Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Is there any need/desire for a general newsletter?

Postby IcePack on Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:13 pm

For those interested in reading the current March Platoon Report

viewtopic.php?f=438&t=217306

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby elfish_lad on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:05 am

That was a good read IP. Nicely done. If I ever got back into clan life I would love to help out.

Cheers,

E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby IcePack on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:07 am

elfish_lad wrote:That was a good read IP. Nicely done. If I ever got back into clan life I would love to help out.

Cheers,

E.

Thanks E, much appreciated! Even if you aren't involved or writing, I'm open and would love article ideas / topics and I can write them up :)

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Fewnix on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:41 pm

I am working on a proposal to run by comrades in the Features Team ( those of us with awfully brightly coloured ids) and BigWham -a bulk mailing once a month to all CC-ers'. Could use some help on the doablity side,starting with server usage - big issue for BigWham. For the sake of discussion, say 10,000 PMs sent out an average rate (higher in off-peak periods) of 100 PMS every 15 minutes. That would mean about 10, 000 PMs sent in a 24 hour period. Say that 24 period has a a fixed date-the last Sunday of the month? That could mean the 8,000 or so listed as members by the Scoreboard can get something like a general newsletter in their in-box , with room to grow.

Is that doable without costing BigWham too much in time or money?

Some sort of Clan report -the Platoon Report and/or F400 and/or updates on CCUPs and Leagues-could be a regular feature, anchors if you will, as be could a monthly update of the Tournament Players Association Scoreboard. Hopefully there could be some indication of what tournaments are hot and what not- special medals available or tourneys in need of rescue. I envision a regular Tribes feature.

A bulk email service could also due separate mailings to target audiences but that is a discussion for later.

Thoughts, please?
8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Few

p.s. I stand by what I say.
and I stand by BigWham
Rule 1
show
Private Fewnix

Postby elfish_lad on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:42 pm

In my line of work (as I advise not for profit service organizations) we use this figure as a bench mark for the cost effectiveness of bulk mailings: 10% and 3%. If 10% read the mailing we want no less than 3% of those to act upon it. Such as: come to the event, sign up for the program, etc.

Those are small numbers. But they are born out in reality. If it's not 140 characters or less or a funny picture of a cat, no one reads anything any more.

A bulk mailing needs to be weighed against cost and it is no life saver.

The next point flows from the first: what is the purpose of the mailing? Is it to drum up more business for bigwham and the site? Cool. But I get paid to help organizations to do that. And I'm effective but not cheap. Be careful in your support of this idea that you aren't underwriting someone else's costs.

A bulk mailing needs to have a narrow focus. A broad blanket mailing is a wet blanket and not worth the cost.

Finally, what is the style? In the last newsletter things seemed like we degenerated into the fart joke times. Now. I love a good fart as well as a well told fart joke. But for the cost of time, creativity and muscle? Not worth it. I like Army of God as much as the next guy, buy let him write his own damn newsletter.

Conversely, if it is to be a bulk mailing it can't merely be about the detritus of tribal back scratching. Less than 1% of 10,000 users care about wether or not my tribe won the guilded loin cloth this past series.

What then will the content be?

I would love to see a smart section like this:

Battle Lines:

ā€œBe careful CC-Warrior of the Pyrrhic Victory. What's that you mumble? It's the name for a ruinous victory of King Pyrrhus of Epirus over the Romans in the late 200 BCE. With a force of 25,000 men, Pyrrhus met the Romans and engaged in battle. In the end, because of his Calvary and elephants, Pyrrhus severely defeated the Romansā€”but at a huge cost. According to Plutarch, when Pyrrhus was congratulated on the victory he said, ā€˜Such another victory and we are utterly undone.ā€™ Apply that truth to your next big esc battle and you may have better results!ā€

Stuff like that. We had some good up and coming writers but they have all left.

My buck fiddy.
E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby IcePack on Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:01 pm

The last newsletter was bulk mailed out, it only seemed to lids people off who hadn't subscribed to it.

On top of that, the newsletter fell apart not to long ago and always struggled to keep everyone on time or get new writers.

The clan team started platoon report again on its own because there was enough information within that area alone to have its own newsletter, adding the F400 etc to the newsletter just turns everything back into what it was before - something that didn't work.

I'm not sure it's something I would get behind again, as my time thee it didn't seem very organized. With the new platoon report, it caters to a specific audience and provides them with info in one spot.

I'm not sure I know anything about bulk mail etc but Elfish seems to.

As far as quality of writing, idk if you're referring to platoon report Elfish or not regarding the fart joke times, I don't claim to be anything exceptional or creative on that front. I'm sure there are wittier or better writers. I just want to provide consistent, regular contact and outreach and have announcements and updates in a central place for users to find easily that participate within clans.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby elfish_lad on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:16 pm

No IP. I was talking about ages ago with regard to farts. 8-)
Major elfish_lad

Postby Symmetry on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:20 pm

IcePack wrote:The last newsletter was bulk mailed out, it only seemed to lids people off who hadn't subscribed to it.

On top of that, the newsletter fell apart not to long ago and always struggled to keep everyone on time or get new writers.

The clan team started platoon report again on its own because there was enough information within that area alone to have its own newsletter, adding the F400 etc to the newsletter just turns everything back into what it was before - something that didn't work.

I'm not sure it's something I would get behind again, as my time thee it didn't seem very organized. With the new platoon report, it caters to a specific audience and provides them with info in one spot.

I'm not sure I know anything about bulk mail etc but Elfish seems to.

As far as quality of writing, idk if you're referring to platoon report Elfish or not regarding the fart joke times, I don't claim to be anything exceptional or creative on that front. I'm sure there are wittier or better writers. I just want to provide consistent, regular contact and outreach and have announcements and updates in a central place for users to find easily that participate within clans.

IDK if my take is worth much, but a newsletter is strongest when it had a clear goal. Either you seek to draw outsiders in, or you cater for insiders. The newsletter always seemed to have no idea what it wanted to do.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby elfish_lad on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Sym, what would like to see in a newsletter, and what would you contribute writing style?
Major elfish_lad

Postby Symmetry on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:03 am

elfish_lad wrote:Sym, what would like to see in a newsletter, and what would you contribute writing style?

I'd suggest two newsletters as an alternative- one designed for new players incorporating beginner advice, directions towards support, showcasing a few maps and the suitable guides, and simple tourneys.

Then a secondary more insider newsletter discussing clan news, maps in development, interviews with old time members, more advanced tournies not intended for newbies.

That'd be my advice.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby elfish_lad on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Sounds good actually. Care to write? This is not a spectator sport.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Symmetry on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:57 pm

elfish_lad wrote:Sounds good actually. Care to write? This is not a spectator sport.

I avoided that part of your question as I don't think people would like my points of view. And I can't guarantee continuous content.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby elfish_lad on Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:26 am

Symmetry wrote:
elfish_lad wrote:Sounds good actually. Care to write? This is not a spectator sport.

I avoided that part of your question as I don't think people would like my points of view. And I can't guarantee continuous content.

Your point of views on Conquer Club, game play, how clans are organized, what views?

You wouldn't have to write every month, but have a column on a regular topic quarterly.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Symmetry on Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:38 am

elfish_lad wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Your point of views on Conquer Club, game play, how clans are organized, what views?

You wouldn't have to write every month, but have a column on a regular topic quarterly.

I'm happy to write occasionally.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby elfish_lad on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Awesome. You are now a staff writer for the hypothetically resurrected yet new and improved CC news letter. Start thinking about your first article, looking at mid April.

Cheers.

E-newshound.
Major elfish_lad

Postby KoolBak on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:28 am

I enjoyed the newsletter.... shout out to Ducky =D>

Have you corresponded with him? I personally can't wait to read olƩ Sym's article.... I would think there would be plenty of regulars in off topics with much to say....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby elfish_lad on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:58 pm

KoolBak wrote:I enjoyed the newsletter.... shout out to Ducky =D>

Have you corresponded with him? I personally can't wait to read olƩ Sym's article.... I would think there would be plenty of regulars in off topics with much to say....

A. Ducky? Hmm... ~flips through the stack of CV's in a pile on his e-desk~ I'll get back to you on that. I'm quite busy at the moment. Like a bee. A... a gentle bumble bee. Buzz.

B. TouchƩ!

Efencer.
Major elfish_lad

Postby dakky21 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:00 pm

I'll just hop in and reveal the old thought we all had... a blog styled news site instead of the (monthly) newsletter, with new articles as they get in. Actually, everything is already set-up, it just needs writers. It has tags so you can tag your posts with for example "news" tag or "F400" so all posts with a specific tag can be viewed quickly... there could be a "guide" tag as well and a lot of other features, but as I already said... it needs writers.

Contact me via PM or meet me in chat for further details if you are willing to write.
Captain dakky21

Postby Symmetry on Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Hmm, I'd go with too many cooks as an analogy, but its only partly right.

You guys need to get an editor. And an editorial policy.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby ooge on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Site news.status of new maps.fixing existing maps.new medals.tourneys.when medals will be received.news on expanding existing medals for those players who have kills well over a thousand.news about completing a thousand games medal, a thousand wins medal and so.medals provide incentive to go after and as a result to stay with the website.
Captain ooge

Postby elfish_lad on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 pm

ooge wrote:Site news.status of new maps.fixing existing maps.new medals.tourneys.when medals will be received.news on expanding existing medals for those players who have kills well over a thousand.news about completing a thousand games medal, a thousand wins medal and so.medals provide incentive to go after and as a result to stay with the website.

I really like some of these mate. Cheers.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Gilligan on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 am

the map section would be extremely small and should almost be omitted because of how embarrassing the foundry is today.
Captain Gilligan

Postby IcePack on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:11 am

Gilligan wrote:the map section would be extremely small and should almost be omitted because of how embarrassing the foundry is today.

Of course that things are so quiet / dead, bringing some attention to it might get new people more interested in developing / commenting on the few maps that are being created instead of ignoring it and letting it die.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby elfish_lad on Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Oohhh... I gots sum fin special in mind for duh maps.
Major elfish_lad

Postby owenshooter on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:15 pm

is this going to be placed in every user PM box like before or is it going to be a subscription request? just wondering...-Bj
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Newsletter