Conquer Club

CC Dispatch [127] Some big news and some little news

All issues of the newsletter.

Moderator: Community Team

CC Dispatch [127] Some big news and some little news

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Greetings, comrades, and welcome to the 127th running of the Conquer Club Dispatch!

In this issue we have the next installment (getting close to the finale, people!) in dakky's Guess This Map series, iAmCaffeine brings us the round-up of last month's tourney winners, a newly-launched clan announces itself, and bigWham brings us not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE announcements. Any more and it would be hrair! Check that webmonster for some very big new features!

In Great War news, today (two months after the event began) we are changing the token-dropping maps for the first time. The updated List of Token Criteria and the updated search link to find waiting token-eligible games

From the Deck of the Webmonster by bigWham
show

Late-breaking news in cartography: RedBaron0 has opened the door and invited in some new volunteers to take on that beautiful blue nametag and help run the Foundry.

Guess the Map -- Round 8 by dakky21
show

A New Clan Rises by PaulatPeace
show

Tournament Winners Update: October '14 by iAmCaffeine
show
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: CC Dispatch [127] Some big news and some little news

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:02 am

Gabriel12 huh.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:57 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Gabriel12 huh.

Fixed...:)

Thank you.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby stealth99 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:07 am

Great new look BW, awesome; 'can't wait.

Congrats PaulatPeace and The Omega Pantheon Clan. It appears you guys all have very challenging goals ahead of you. All the best.
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby firstholliday on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:54 pm

yeah keep on changing and speed up the proces of CC going dead...

you take risk out of risk...

people are quitting the game coz of the bs.
if they want a real game they play a x box

idiots
7 firstholliday 3589 (58%) General 128-2 Netherlands
General firstholliday

Postby Serbia on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:54 pm

So glad we're getting new sortable options for the game that we CURRENTLY have! New ways to sort and search for our 200+ maps and many settings, just amazing! Much better idea then to add an entirely new game to our RISK-esque site! Because, let's face it, when I want to play chess online, the very first thing I Google search is "RISK online"!

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby betiko on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:24 pm

The new my game page seems like a better display for mobile devices, why not.
So we are really going to be able to play chess here? I think it s a very fun and unexpected news.
Why not? I ve seen tons of cc players saying they are big chess players. Introducing this within the cc community does make some kind of sense and surely doesn t hurt.
I personally suck, but would sure give it a go! Serbia i challenge you!!! :D
Major betiko

Postby Donelladan on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:49 am

Will we have the option for the new design of the "my games" page or will it be compulsory change ? I think I'll prefer the old one.

I am a supporter of most of the new changes made up to now and like the way CC is going. But I have to say I am surprised by this change, there is some features not working correctly - polymorphic deadbeat - map inspect for map with the conditional border for example that should be fixed. There is extremely good suggestion in the suggestion forum that could nicely improve the game. But I don't think anyone asked to change the my games page so why doing smthg which is not demanded while there is stuff to do?
Colonel Donelladan

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:18 am

Donelladan wrote:Will we have the option for the new design of the "my games" page or will it be compulsory change ? I think I'll prefer the old one.

I am a supporter of most of the new changes made up to now and like the way CC is going. But I have to say I am surprised by this change, there is some features not working correctly - polymorphic deadbeat - map inspect for map with the conditional border for example that should be fixed. There is extremely good suggestion in the suggestion forum that could nicely improve the game. But I don't think anyone asked to change the my games page so why doing smthg which is not demanded while there is stuff to do?

Some comments from the Beta Testers forum which may answer your question:
bigWham wrote:Central Command is the old "My Games" page reworked for the modern world.

Aside from looking better, Central Command uses responsive design which you will see if you resize your browser. The main stimulus for this redesign was to make this page work better on mobile devices, small screens, and in situations, such as a Facebook Tab, where there is limited space available.
(emphasis added -- DK)
bigWham wrote:I appreciate that it's a dramatic change and that initially many people will dislike it. However, CC's current My Games page was created in 2006 and basically hasn't changed since... except to add more game settings. It is outmoded, not well structured from an information-design point of view, unattractive, and does not work with small screens.

This change should be better for new players ... since it is more in line with what you get on today's internet. Actually though, the change was not so much for new players but for the need to make this page work more flexibly in a wide variety of scenarios... such as a cell phone or a Facebook Tab.

Donelladan wrote:But I don't think anyone asked to change the my games page so why doing smthg which is not demanded while there is stuff to do?

Actually, demands to upgrade the basic UI are commonplace. Comments such as the following have been repeated by hundreds of people as far back as I can remember:Subject: Is CC Declining?
Army of GOD wrote:I still think the biggest problem is the UI. Site looks like it did in 2006. Looks older than saxi.

Still, cosmetic change is not what this is about. The basic need for the change is, as BW said above, to continue to make CC more scalable in on a multi-platform Internet. As fewer people get their internet from traditional desktop computers and more people get it from phones and tablets, the scalability is a stronger need.

The small tweaks that you mention -- stuff like polymorphic deadbeat not working properly -- do get some of BW's attention. For instance, just a couple of weeks ago he fixed the problem with Panel-mode autosnapshots, and they are now taken at the end of a turn as people wanted, not at the beginning of a turn, as they originally did. Those little tweaks are happening all the time, without any big hoopla or fanfare. But little tweaks won't bring the patient back. Only major surgery will do that.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:11 am

yeah so I guess I figured out what it was about, more adaptability on mobile device!
I'd personally love to take my turns with the same ease on my tablet as I do on my laptop. Right now, I do play turns on tablet, eventually on my phone, but not really the important ones as the ergonomy is way inferior compared to the one on the laptop and we can't have all the information we want displayed on the screen, you need to ress the "i" button and the map disapears. Good luck with that though, as I doubt it will ever be possible to feel as comfortable with a tablet than with a PC to take a turn, but I really hope I'm wrong. What I really don't like on tablet is that you don't have the side bar, and it's a real pain in the ass to go back to "my games".

ps: AOG like a boss. CC's most influential cook! :D
Major betiko

Postby Agent 86 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:17 pm

"One other important factor that distinguishes THE OMEGA PANTHEON from other clans" says PaulatPeace is that each member will be highly valued as individuals and players. Ours will be a clan in which everyone, at all times will have a voice that will be respected and heard! Trust and respect for each other, regardless of rank will be essential and egos will have to be checked at the door." "Our clan" explains Paul, "will also be less demanding than some clans in that we understand that real world commitments and responsibilities come first. Each Omega will determine their own level of participation. Some will be able to do a lot, some a little. The important thing is that we are a team and we will have each other's backs. The Omega Pantheon is One!"

Sorry TOP, but the Immortals are but just this dating back further and probably several others lol. So get in line on your statements please ;)

Kudos on your new clan and hope you do extremely well :P
We are the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness.
Major Agent 86

Postby betiko on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Agent 86 wrote:"One other important factor that distinguishes THE OMEGA PANTHEON from other clans" says PaulatPeace is that each member will be highly valued as individuals and players. Ours will be a clan in which everyone, at all times will have a voice that will be respected and heard! Trust and respect for each other, regardless of rank will be essential and egos will have to be checked at the door." "Our clan" explains Paul, "will also be less demanding than some clans in that we understand that real world commitments and responsibilities come first. Each Omega will determine their own level of participation. Some will be able to do a lot, some a little. The important thing is that we are a team and we will have each other's backs. The Omega Pantheon is One!"

Sorry TOP, but the Immortals are but just this dating back further and probably several others lol. So get in line on your statements please ;)

Kudos on your new clan and hope you do extremely well :P

Yeah made me giggle too as I don t know any clan that works the way he assumes for the most part. Nevertheless, I doubt that a player asking for high participation and showing low involvement & team skills will end up highly valued as a player.
Major betiko

Postby BoganGod on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Betsy, stop being such a cynic. I'm sure they will be at least as competitive as Water's Fury.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby betiko on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:05 am

BoganGod wrote:Betsy, stop being such a cynic. I'm sure they will be at least as competitive as Water's Fury.

Nothing to do with competitivity, but the article makes it look like clans are like feodal societies with peasants that have no right to give their opinion and who aren t listened to because of their rank. And i don t know any clan that works like that, all i m saying.
Major betiko

Postby NoSurvivors on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:15 am

Feel free to challenge me to a game of chess. :) I love it! Great add.
persianempire wrote:its when ur food goes bad... you get spoils
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby codierose on Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:05 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Those little tweaks are happening all the time, without any big hoopla or fanfare. But little tweaks won't bring the patient back. Only major surgery will do that.

you sure about that when was the last time you visited the bug page
it was the little tweaks that made the patients sick
Major codierose

Postby MrBoom on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:14 pm

Serbia wrote:...let's face it, when I want to play chess online, the very first thing I Google search is "RISK online"!

firstholliday wrote:people are quitting the game coz of the bs.
if they want a real game they play a x box

:D

Poly, panel interface, map stats and auto-tournaments were all amazing updates to an already incredible site.

I've never understood the constant drive to advertise CC as if it's a 2nd rate, tower-defence game on miniclip.
Captain MrBoom

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:20 am

The panels are shit. The auto-tournaments are okay but need adjustments and more creativity. I still think most of what bW has brought is good, but there have also been very questionable decisions. That's always going to happen with trial & error though.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Return to Newsletter Issues