Conquer Club

[CR@W] Homeworld [Cancelled]

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [CR@W] Homeworld [Turn 4 Due Tuesday ]

Postby IcePack on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:38 pm

~30 min left to submit

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby ElricTheGreat on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 am

Who is physically controlling the GOAT?

Do they have a Homeworld as well or only wandering ships?

Are they playing by the same rules as they rest of us? Same movement and economy etc?

Are they strictly our ENEMY (Of all factions) or can they be reached out for Diplo?

--------------------------------------------------------

In general ... is communication only possible when in the same sector as another ship or asset, or can we communicate with anyone in a certain range of one of our assets?
Stormbringer is thirsty --- Thursting for YOUR Soul!
Captain ElricTheGreat
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Postby IanG7 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:41 am

A couple questions (and sorry if they've been asked and answered but I didn't notice in the official thread stuff).

1) A starship needs to be present on a hex in order to be able to build (Satelite, Outpost etc there correct? The bioforming was something different that didn't require presence but building does?

2) I saw mention that one starship can be engaged by multiple enemy at the same time. Can you flesh this out a little more before it occurs. I'm picturing this causing alot of slowplay and/ or arguments otherwise.
For example. Player X1 gets attacked by Y1 and both players have only 1HP left so a loss is certain destruction of that ship. X1 realizes well in advance that they are going to lose so they blitz X2 over to engage Y1. Y1 loses the second game against X2 while X1 has been slow playing and that game hasn't concluded yet but now Y1 is already vanquished by X2. Does that mean the game between X1 and Y1 doesn't matter anymore because Y1 is technically already dead even though they were going to beat X1?
Essentially what I'm hoping for is some sort of initiative based on battle start date or something. I'll suggest that the battle between X1 and Y1 result must be factored before the X2 and Y1 battle regardless of which finishes first even if it means X2 and Y1 are in limbo waiting for the other battle to end. I'd just hate for a game to be drawn out a really long time based on something like this.
There would also have to be a decision for battle that start simultaneously and which battle would get initiative.

Thanks,
Brigadier IanG7

Postby IcePack on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 pm

ElricTheGreat wrote:Who is physically controlling the GOAT?

Billy GOAT

Do they have a Homeworld as well or only wandering ships?

Thats a good question, but not much his known about the goats.

Are they playing by the same rules as they rest of us? Same movement and economy etc?

Not much is known about the GOATs, but yes they live in the same world as you do with the same physical requirements it allows for.

Are they strictly our ENEMY (Of all factions) or can they be reached out for Diplo?

There is nothing stopping you from attempting diplomacy. The semi cooperative mission requirement still stands regardless of diplomatic status

--------------------------------------------------------

In general ... is communication only possible when in the same sector as another ship or asset, or can we communicate with anyone in a certain range of one of our assets?

If you see a Homeworld or a ship within your viewable range, you can conduct diplomacy with that entity. You do not have to be within the same hex.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 pm

IanG7 wrote:1) A starship needs to be present on a hex in order to be able to build (Satelite, Outpost etc there correct? The bioforming was something different that didn't require presence but building does?

Correct, ships must be present in the hex you want to build an off location item such as outpost or satellite etc. Bioforming is the act of changing a planets habitable conditions (aka playable map) and can be done from the Homeworld alone. No ship is needed.

2) I saw mention that one starship can be engaged by multiple enemy at the same time. Can you flesh this out a little more before it occurs. I'm picturing this causing alot of slowplay and/ or arguments otherwise.
For example. Player X1 gets attacked by Y1 and both players have only 1HP left so a loss is certain destruction of that ship. X1 realizes well in advance that they are going to lose so they blitz X2 over to engage Y1. Y1 loses the second game against X2 while X1 has been slow playing and that game hasn't concluded yet but now Y1 is already vanquished by X2. Does that mean the game between X1 and Y1 doesn't matter anymore because Y1 is technically already dead even though they were going to beat X1?
Essentially what I'm hoping for is some sort of initiative based on battle start date or something. I'll suggest that the battle between X1 and Y1 result must be factored before the X2 and Y1 battle regardless of which finishes first even if it means X2 and Y1 are in limbo waiting for the other battle to end. I'd just hate for a game to be drawn out a really long time based on something like this.
There would also have to be a decision for battle that start simultaneously and which battle would get initiative.

battles continue to happen in real time. So yes, if you enter a battle X1 vs Y1 and later X2 vs Y1, the game that finishes first gets its damage applied first. Regardless of X1, or X2 or start dates etc. I know people have an issue with “slow play” but there is zero ability for me to really manage that. Players have 24 hours for their turns.
If Y1 knows they will lose to X2 But is winning vs X1, and X1 is slow playing. Why wouldn’t Y1 slow play it as well to try making it so their damage counts? If they can draw out the second game then they still get their damage dealt. Slow play hurts everyone as it ties up starships, but that is up to the players to adapt accordingly.

Imagine a real battle scenario, space ship A vs B. B is losing and calls in reinforcements. They can continue to try to tie up A until C arrives. If C manages to blow up A before A can deal the final blow to B, then B and C did the right thing strategically. Didn’t they? There’s no pause in battles guaranteeing a death blow to another opponent if you get outmatched.

If it’s a concern there are things you can do, make ships travel together, bring in your own reinforcements, adjust the speed of your own play, etc.

I will leave that to the players and factions to manage. To me, slow play is just part of playing. There are many things you can do or not do that impacts both your factions and others and that’s part of the beauty of the game, you have many options and tools at your disposal within the framework here. I’m trying not to dictate how people play

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IanG7 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm

IcePack wrote:
IanG7 wrote:1) A starship needs to be present on a hex in order to be able to build (Satelite, Outpost etc there correct? The bioforming was something different that didn't require presence but building does?

Correct, ships must be present in the hex you want to build an off location item such as outpost or satellite etc. Bioforming is the act of changing a planets habitable conditions (aka playable map) and can be done from the Homeworld alone. No ship is needed.

For example. Player X1 gets attacked by Y1 and both players have only 1HP left so a loss is certain destruction of that ship. X1 realizes well in advance that they are going to lose so they blitz X2 over to engage Y1. Y1 loses the second game against X2 while X1 has beeno slow playing and that game hasn't concluded yet but now Y1 is already vanquished by X2. Does that mean the game between X1 and Y1 doesn't matter anymore because Y1 is technically already dead even though they were going to beat X1?

battles continue to happen in real time. So yes, if you enter a battle X1 vs Y1 and later X2 vs Y1, the game that finishes first gets its damage applied first. Regardless of X1, or X2 or start dates etc. I know people have an issue with “slow play” but there is zero ability for me to really manage that. Players have 24 hours for their turns.
If Y1 knows they will lose to X2 But is winning vs X1, and X1 is slow playing. Why wouldn’t Y1 slow play it as well to try making it so their damage counts? If they can draw out the second game then they still get their damage dealt. Slow play hurts everyone as it ties up starships, but that is up to the players to adapt accordingly.

Imagine a real battle scenario, space ship A vs B. B is losing and calls in reinforcements. They can continue to try to tie up A until C arrives. If C manages to blow up A before A can deal the final blow to B, then B and C did the right thing strategically. Didn’t they? There’s no pause in battles guaranteeing a death blow to another opponent if you get outmatched.

If it’s a concern there are things you can do, make ships travel together, bring in your own reinforcements, adjust the speed of your own play, etc.

I will leave that to the players and factions to manage. To me, slow play is just part of playing. There are many things you can do or not do that impacts both your factions and others and that’s part of the beauty of the game, you have many options and tools at your disposal within the framework here. I’m trying not to dictate how people play

Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to make sure there was no way for it to become an issue later..
Brigadier IanG7

Re: [CR@W] Homeworld [Turn 5 Due Thursday]

Postby IcePack on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:55 pm

Appreciate it, questions and feedback are always welcome. Helps make sure everything is clear and nothing’s missed. Each edition will hopefully get better as we go and as we get more feedback.

I try to be flexible and help where possible etc but people will always raise some issues but that’s how it gets better.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Map is updated for all, spreadsheets will get finished in about four hours

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:08 pm

Finished the update.
Cheers!

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 pm

FYI if you are pushing up against the deadline, first do your meta map activity. Whether it’s move or buy etc get that done first, then send me the pm to match.

More often then noti tackle the map updates first thing as that parts easiest at home on my Mac, where as the spreadsheets etc can be done by phone later on

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Q: Do I understand this right? If I build a jump gate, it connects to ALL other jump gates? Even ones built by other factions?

A: Yes, they act as a network together. So regardless of the original builder, they act as a transport to any other jump gate. Allowing large spans of travel with relatively low warp.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:14 pm

Q: In Bannermen we had the bards, which while vague gave us small “updates” and milestones. Will we get something like that here?

A: No, one of the big things people commented on was how some of the vague information could be tied to point jumps and what not and give away who did what, why, when, how, who they were, etc.
seeing that this years event takes place in space, i decided that it would focus on the mystery aspect of space and be void of many accidental tells and giveaways. Even the power points are hidden amongst the group other than being able to compare the info of what you do know about your own faction to a vague list of others.
Space here is supposed to feel vast, mysterious, traveling thru the unknowns, etc. those concepts are more then just flavor text, there is plenty to be explored and found regarding the universe. You won’t know what others are doing unless your sensors pick it up or you hear about it from elsewhere, etc

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Reminder: just a few more hours to deadline

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby DJENRE on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:06 am

IcePack wrote:Q: Do I understand this right? If I build a jump gate, it connects to ALL other jump gates? Even ones built by other factions?

A: Yes, they act as a network together. So regardless of the original builder, they act as a transport to any other jump gate. Allowing large spans of travel with relatively low warp.

So as soon we build a jump gate (or we reach one), we gonna see all other jump gates on the map right?
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Postby IcePack on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 pm

DJENRE wrote:
IcePack wrote:Q: Do I understand this right? If I build a jump gate, it connects to ALL other jump gates? Even ones built by other factions?

So as soon we build a jump gate (or we reach one), we gonna see all other jump gates on the map right?

Yeah, correct. If you reach one and have no movement left not sure the others show up, but if you have the movement needed all gates would show.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Everything is updated, but pm will go out later.
Next turn is due Saturday by 2400, probbaly be updates on Sunday afternoon so you have a little buffer.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Re: [CR@W] Homeworld [Turn 6 Due Saturday]

Postby groovysmurf on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:40 am

I'm trying to get a better understanding on mines.

1) The ship must be on the homeworld so the mines can be placed aboard, correct?

2) The ship then must travel to the space you want the mine placed and drop there (can be mid turn, if you have higher warp)?

3) The mines do not hurt your own ships or factions you are "friendly" with, correct? What about "neutral" factions that you have not met yet?

4) Since the mines do not have sensors, will you even know who it is that lands on the mine if you place it outside your area you have vision on?

5) Does the ship have to STOP on the mine to make it go off, or just over it? How would that work with ships with higher warp?

I think that's it for now. Thank you.
Colonel groovysmurf
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby IcePack on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:01 pm

I forgot to add: this is the icon you will find when there is a battle on a current hex.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:07 pm

groovysmurf wrote:I'm trying to get a better understanding on mines.

1) The ship must be on the homeworld so the mines can be placed aboard, correct?

2) The ship then must travel to the space you want the mine placed and drop there (can be mid turn, if you have higher warp)?

3) The mines do not hurt your own ships or factions you are "friendly" with, correct? What about "neutral" factions that you have not met yet?

4) Since the mines do not have sensors, will you even know who it is that lands on the mine if you place it outside your area you have vision on?

5) Does the ship have to STOP on the mine to make it go off, or just over it? How would that work with ships with higher warp?

I think that's it for now. Thank you.

1) Yeah, you purchase the mines from a homeworld (or outpost). You don't put them on the map at that time, you just purchase them and tell me via PM so it can be listed in the "cargo" area.

2) Yes, you must travel to the hex you want them placed on.
No, it can't be done mid turn. Must be done as part of the regular turn updates.

3) This is incorrect. The ship that places the mine field is safe from mines, until it leaves the hex. After which, ANYONE who enters that hex would be hit by the mine field. These are not smart mines, or anything else. They don't know who you are friends with, or who you aren't. Just a big huge magnetic mine field that gets triggered by a ship entering the hex

4) No, you won't.

5) Yes, ships must stop on the mines. Warp bends space time and goes from one location, to the other so you aren't traveling through space. So if you go from point A to point D, it doesn't matter whats in B or C. You aren't really flying "through" those areas.

Hope that helps.
IP

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby TX AG 90 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 pm

5) Yes, ships must stop on the mines. Warp bends space time and goes from one location, to the other so you aren't traveling through space. So if you go from point A to point D, it doesn't matter whats in B or C. You aren't really flying "through" those areas.

But Asteroid Belts are an exception? You previously stated that they reduce your movement to 1/turn.
Private TX AG 90

Postby IcePack on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:39 pm

TX AG 90 wrote:

But Asteroid Belts are an exception? You previously stated that they reduce your movement to 1/turn.

Because asteroids can be unpredictable, and different densities as well as moving. (not just a single "asteroid" but many in the area traveling at different speeds / velocity etc.
So to go from empty space, to the belt you can move normally, to go from the belt, to empty space you can move normally.
But trying to move through it, you don't know how deep the asteroid field is, where they will end up, etc
So in order not to make a jump and then blow up upon arrival by getting smushed, you have to calc / recalculate your jumps to avoid getting damaged in short spurts.
Also the different metals / compositions may through off instructmentations ability to properly navigate the jumps when traveling through the field, as opposed to just the edges. ;)

Remember, the 1 speed travel only applies when you are already in the asteroid field and STARTING your travel in the field, going through what your scanners show as continued asteroids.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Re: [CR@W] Homeworld [Turn 7 Due Monday]

Postby IcePack on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Turn 6 is updated. Sending PM's shortly.

Turn 7 is due by Monday @ 2400

IcePack

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Q: I kind of feel like this game is starting slow. I’m glad the turns are going quickly, so that the action will be sooner rather than later. But v1 didn’t seem nearly as slow as this one during the start. Is it supposed to be like this, or are we just really unlucky / headed in the wrong direction?

A: I’m sorry you feel it’s starting slowly! Honestly, there were people in v1 who felt like they were tripping over people before they really had a chance to get started. You also have to remember, in v1 EVERYONE started with 3 units. Most had 2 traveling and 1 defending.

In v2, I wanted to provide more options. If you only built one unit and have 1 warp and 1 sensor, it might feel a bit slow. But the idea behind all the different races was to provide choices. If you wanted to play a slower start and focus on Econ and tech and set up yourself for a late game push that was an option. Others are focusing on one or two areas, others are trying a more rounded approach. Others want to get into action right away.

Keep in mind, for example, someone could have selected Mahw and if they didn’t do any tech upgrades, could have built 11 frigates on turn 1 to explore and seek and destroy! Now, they’d have spent all their resources and would take a long time to build back up, and all would be low tech frigates but...it would be an option if you wanted quick action.

Ultimately, I tried to make it more open instead of everyone following the same start strategy of defend + 2 explore and fight when you find someone. Plus the increased anonymous nature really will enhance Diplo and battles once they start happening. Yes, the map is bigger and more open. That allows for different travel speeds and increases the importance of some of the other options such as jump gates, satellites, etc. there’s a lot that can be done to make things “not slow” if you want. If you’re short on Credits you can always use the GTE to sell some ore, or horde it in hopes of being stronger later, explore for other planets, whatever.

If it’s slow right now, have patience. It’ll pick up :) it’s still early on and as I said, I expect more turns to be played eventually in this edition then the last. Part of that is anticipated more time in the start, more exploration needed (bigger map) and having to conduct multiple battles per engagement encounter before someone’s defeated etc. so the focus on explore and combat as I said from the start will be higher, and the lack of starting resources and ore is meant to really emphasize that need to go forth and conquer.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Sent a pm about late submissions, update tonight, and schedule change for tomorrow due to my mistake.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby SiriusCowKing on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Just to comment on that, I don't think it's slow right now, maybe people don't value the early turns because they don't see the big picture. I think this is the moment when you are growing in the direction you want and it will greatly affect what comes later. As a Civ player since Civ 3, this relatively slow start is completely normal and it's just a matter of time before not a single turn will be empty.

Side note, I never set my workers to auto work, or my scouts to auto explore.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Captain SiriusCowKing

PreviousNext

Return to Clan Archives