Conquer Club

[CC8] Final: TOFU (34) vs LHDD (27) - TOFU Wins - 2/15/19

Finished challenges between two competitive clans.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [CC8] Final: TOFU (20) vs LHDD (7)

Postby betiko on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:54 am

fairman wrote:New year was in spring before year 1567 in France

Not sure about that, but what I know is that september being the 9th month or december the 12th... it proved that it was changed.. the third month, March should be the first month of the year.
Well while I’m saying it might not be as obvious for those who don’t speak a latin language sept-> seven deca -> ten
Major betiko

Postby Extreme Ways on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:35 am

betiko wrote:

Not sure about that, but what I know is that september being the 9th month or december the 12th... it proved that it was changed.. the third month, March should be the first month of the year.
Well while I’m saying it might not be as obvious for those who don’t speak a latin language sept-> seven deca -> ten

August was added due to mr. Augustus. July kind of same iirc.
TOFU, ex-REP, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
General Extreme Ways

Postby fairman on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:37 am

Julius Cesar.

Nous étions là bien avant les targaryens !!
Brigadier fairman

Postby loutil on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:42 am

LOL...that is not correct.
It was in 1563 that King Charles IX reformed the French calendar. It was passed into law by the French Parliament on Dec. 22, 1564. However, all this did was make official what had long been the custom of celebrating the new year on January 1st.
In 1582 Pope Gregory issued a papal decree moving the start of the year to January 1 as well as creating a leap-year system.
Brigadier loutil
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:05 pm

loutil wrote:

It was in 1563 that King Charles IX reformed the French calendar. It was passed into law by the French Parliament on Dec. 22, 1564. However, all this did was make official what had long been the custom of celebrating the new year on January 1st.
In 1582 Pope Gregory issued a papal decree moving the start of the year to January 1 as well as creating a leap-year system.

According to some sources, there is more to the story:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Day
In AD 567, the Council of Tours formally abolished January 1 as the beginning of the year. At various times and in various places throughout medieval Christian Europe, the new year was celebrated on December 25 in honor of the birth of Jesus; March 1 in the old Roman style; March 25 in honor of Lady Day and the Feast of the Annunciation; and on the movable feast of Easter. These days were also astronomically and astrologically significant since, at the time of the Julian reform, March 25 had been understood as the spring equinox and December 25 as the winter solstice. (The Julian calendar's small disagreement with the solar year, however, shifted these days earlier before the Council of Nicaea which formed the basis of the calculations used during the Gregorian reform of the calendar.) Medieval calendars nonetheless often continued to display the months running from January to December, despite their readers reckoning the transition from one year to the next on a different day.

Because of the leap year error in the Julian calendar, the date of Easter had drifted backward since the First Council of Nicaea decided the computation of the date of Easter in 325. By the sixteenth century, the drift from the observed equinox had become unacceptable. In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII declared the Gregorian calendar widely used today, correcting the error by a deletion of 10 days. The Gregorian calendar reform also (in effect) restored January 1 as New Year's Day. Although most Catholic countries adopted the Gregorian calendar almost immediately, it was only gradually adopted among Protestant countries. The British, for example, did not adopt the reformed calendar until 1752. Until then, the British Empire – and its American colonies – still celebrated the new year on 25 March.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/April-Fools-Day
Some have proposed that the modern custom [of April Fools' Day] originated in France, officially with the Edict of Roussillon (promulgated in August 1564), in which Charles IX decreed that the new year would no longer begin on Easter, as had been common throughout Christendom, but rather on January 1. Because Easter was a lunar and therefore moveable date, those who clung to the old ways were the “April Fools.” Others have suggested that the timing of the day may be related to the vernal equinox (March 21), a time when people are fooled by sudden changes in the weather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day
In 1508, French poet Eloy d'Amerval referred to a poisson d’avril (April fool, literally "Fish of April"), possibly the first reference to the celebration in France.[7] Some writers suggest that April Fools' originated because in the Middle Ages, New Year's Day was celebrated on March 25 in most European towns,[8] through a holiday that in some areas of France, specifically, ended on April 1,[9][10] and those who celebrated New Year's Eve on January 1 made fun of those who celebrated on other dates by the invention of April Fools' Day.[9] The use of January 1 as New Year's Day became common in France only by the mid-16th century,[6] and the date was not adopted officially until 1564, thanks to the Edict of Roussillon.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:
loutil wrote:

According to some sources, there is more to the story:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Day
In AD 567, the Council of Tours formally abolished January 1 as the beginning of the year. At various times and in various places throughout medieval Christian Europe, the new year was celebrated on December 25 in honor of the birth of Jesus; March 1 in the old Roman style; March 25 in honor of Lady Day and the Feast of the Annunciation; and on the movable feast of Easter. These days were also astronomically and astrologically significant since, at the time of the Julian reform, March 25 had been understood as the spring equinox and December 25 as the winter solstice. (The Julian calendar's small disagreement with the solar year, however, shifted these days earlier before the Council of Nicaea which formed the basis of the calculations used during the Gregorian reform of the calendar.) Medieval calendars nonetheless often continued to display the months running from January to December, despite their readers reckoning the transition from one year to the next on a different day.

Because of the leap year error in the Julian calendar, the date of Easter had drifted backward since the First Council of Nicaea decided the computation of the date of Easter in 325. By the sixteenth century, the drift from the observed equinox had become unacceptable. In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII declared the Gregorian calendar widely used today, correcting the error by a deletion of 10 days. The Gregorian calendar reform also (in effect) restored January 1 as New Year's Day. Although most Catholic countries adopted the Gregorian calendar almost immediately, it was only gradually adopted among Protestant countries. The British, for example, did not adopt the reformed calendar until 1752. Until then, the British Empire – and its American colonies – still celebrated the new year on 25 March.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/April-Fools-Day
Some have proposed that the modern custom [of April Fools' Day] originated in France, officially with the Edict of Roussillon (promulgated in August 1564), in which Charles IX decreed that the new year would no longer begin on Easter, as had been common throughout Christendom, but rather on January 1. Because Easter was a lunar and therefore moveable date, those who clung to the old ways were the “April Fools.” Others have suggested that the timing of the day may be related to the vernal equinox (March 21), a time when people are fooled by sudden changes in the weather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day
In 1508, French poet Eloy d'Amerval referred to a poisson d’avril (April fool, literally "Fish of April"), possibly the first reference to the celebration in France.[7] Some writers suggest that April Fools' originated because in the Middle Ages, New Year's Day was celebrated on March 25 in most European towns,[8] through a holiday that in some areas of France, specifically, ended on April 1,[9][10] and those who celebrated New Year's Eve on January 1 made fun of those who celebrated on other dates by the invention of April Fools' Day.[9] The use of January 1 as New Year's Day became common in France only by the mid-16th century,[6] and the date was not adopted officially until 1564, thanks to the Edict of Roussillon.

haha LOL
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby betiko on Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:59 pm

I heard about a no spoils game where the chat escalated quickly :lol:
Major betiko

Re: [CC8] Final: TOFU (23) vs LHDD (11)

Postby betiko on Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:01 am

25-16 at least the score looks a bit better than it did at the begining of the war.
Major betiko

Postby Chariot of Fire on Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:07 am

betiko wrote:25-16 at least the score looks a bit better than it did at the begining of the war.

You can thank me for that :D
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Brigadier Chariot of Fire

Postby Mad777 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:15 pm

25-18 now 8-)

Let’s go dragons!!!!
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby hopalong on Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:13 am

betiko wrote:25-16 at least the score looks a bit better than it did at the begining of the war.

at the beginning of the war, wasnt it 0-0? you sound like a closeted TOFU fan.
Major hopalong

Re: [CC8] Final: TOFU (25) vs LHDD (18)

Postby betiko on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 am

hopalong wrote:

Lol

Although a closeted tofu fan wouldn’t be too much fan of a tied score!

Anyways... the fat lady isn’t singing yet... and it did look like it was a done deal when you guys reached 20 so fast. We’re better under pressure and when we get to finish a war, we still need a few comebacks at this point.. but we’ve Already done it.

Don’t know if you guys remember how we won the first division league against you guys and fall a few years ago.. it was a similar comeback.
Major betiko

Postby loutil on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:03 pm

betiko wrote:
We’re better under pressure and when we get to finish a war,

:lol: :lol: :lol: , please elaborate on that statement. Are you trying harder in the second batch? Were you not trying during the first batch? What exactly is pressure when playing an internet dice game? I might suggest your dice have been more favorable in the second set than the first ;) .
Brigadier loutil
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby rockfist on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:13 pm

betiko wrote:
hopalong wrote:

Lol

Although a closeted tofu fan wouldn’t be too much fan of a tied score!

Anyways... the fat lady isn’t singing yet... and it did look like it was a done deal when you guys reached 20 so fast. We’re better under pressure and when we get to finish a war, we still need a few comebacks at this point.. but we’ve Already done it.

Don’t know if you guys remember how we won the first division league against you guys and fall a few years ago.. it was a similar comeback.

If I remember that correctly if either you or us won 3 points in the final week we were the champion, but if we split 2-2 Fall was the champion. We were ahead and looked good to win 3 points but then the dice turned ice cold and it quickly became apparent that you were going to win at least 2 points...at which point although we wanted to win games, we were "somewhat"
less motivated.

But, you won't come back from this. You'll continue to narrow the gap, for a while, but you won't get to 31 wins, we only need six wins to get there and I can see four with some certainty in the games I am in and there is even an outside chance of the six being from only games I am in. There are several games I am not involved in that look pretty good for us also.
Brigadier rockfist

Postby betiko on Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:34 pm

It’s ok rock. You’re about to lose the war and you know it.
Major betiko

Postby rockfist on Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It'd take divine intervention for you to win.

But I understand, if you lie to yourself, long enough you may believe your own lie and since you have to believe you can do something in order to do it, I'd do the same in your position. But deep down, you know, its still a lie, even though you don't dare admit it.
Last edited by rockfist on Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier rockfist

Postby IcePack on Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:52 pm

God - “hold my beer”

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby betiko on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:34 pm

rockfist wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

It'd take divine intervention for you to win.

But I understand, if you lie to yourself, long enough you may believe your own lie and since you have to believe you can do something in order to do it, I'd do the same in your position. But deep down, you know, its still a lie, even though you don't dare admit it.

As much of a lie as when we won the first division. We were in a similar situation, or ask ice how we turned around games with insane luck just when we needed it. That year we stole the title from FALL not from TOFU. We are restless hounds that will hunt you till your fingers can’t roll no more. I would strontly suggest you guys to take your turns carefully in 2019!
Major betiko

Postby rockfist on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 pm

What an apt analogy. You think of yourselves as hounds. We think of ourselves as lions.

Lions do not run from dogs, there is no need to hunt. However, you will have to take the prey from our jaws.

We'll be right here. I look forward to your attempt, but do be careful as all it takes is one swipe of the lion's paw to kill a dog.
Brigadier rockfist

Postby betiko on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:36 pm

rockfist wrote:What an apt analogy. You think of yourselves as hounds. We think of ourselves as lions.

Lions do not run from dogs, there is no need to hunt. However, you will have to take the prey from our jaws.

We'll be right here. I look forward to your attempt, but do be careful as all it takes is one swipe of the lion's paw to kill a dog.

You, my friend, haven’t been watching the discovery channel enough.

Anyways, these were my last words from 2018 happy new year everybody!
Major betiko

Postby rockfist on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Happy New Year Betiko!
Brigadier rockfist

Postby betiko on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 pm

25-20 we re getting closer !
Major betiko

Postby ZaBeast on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:43 pm

rockfist wrote:What an apt analogy. You think of yourselves as hounds. We think of ourselves as lions.

An apt analogy, at least in your case, because you pussied out by using a rule that has no reason to exist to try get an edge by restricting our choice of homes.
And looks like a challenge to me.
General ZaBeast

Postby joecoolfrog on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:08 pm

ZaBeast wrote:

An apt analogy, at least in your case, because you pussied out by using a rule that has no reason to exist to try get an edge by restricting our choice of homes.

Any fool can claim that a particular rule should not exist , a paranoid fool might even claim that a particular rule is designed simply to hurt them , me im just a lowly frog , I get on with the games and dont make childish excuses.
Brigadier joecoolfrog

Postby rockfist on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:52 pm

ZaBeast wrote:

I didn’t make that rule.

Beast, what’s your record in the CC finals and semi finals? I’m just curious. :D
Brigadier rockfist

PreviousNext

Return to Complete Challenges