Conquer Club

Re: [CL14] Clan League - Sign Ups End Sept 25th

Abandoned challenges and other old information.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [CL14] Discussion

Postby IcePack on Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:53 pm

Interestingly as CL gets smaller, eventually might need to address when it just becomes one league. I canā€™t imagine 8 clans splitting into two leagues.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby JPlo64 on Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:56 pm

IcePack wrote:Interestingly as CL gets smaller, eventually might need to address when it just becomes one league. I canā€™t imagine 8 clans splitting into two leagues.

You correct me, thanks. Under 10, is definitely 1 League.
Colonel JPlo64

Postby IcePack on Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:06 pm

JPlo64 wrote:
IcePack wrote:Interestingly as CL gets smaller, eventually might need to address when it just becomes one league. I canā€™t imagine 8 clans splitting into two leagues.

Np, I wasn't even thinking for this year. Just a random thought in review as clans consolidate.

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby rockfist on Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:42 pm

MTIceman41 wrote:
rockfist wrote:No S&M is way above any of you, yet if they donā€™t get into the top division in a three tiered system it is their fault for not performing better in CL. They will annihilate all of you.

Practice? We talking about practice? Congratulations, now beat me when it counts and then come and talk to me. You have a losing record against me on clan W2.1 which you claim is your best map and you are 1-5 in Quads.

Haha thatā€™s the rock we need to seeā€¦I could beat you anytime you want a poly match that isā€¦non teammatesā€¦letā€™s go :D

A Poly match is what I consider practice, but set it up if you like.
Brigadier rockfist

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:52 pm

but you can imagine 10? lol
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:53 pm

IcePack wrote:
JPlo64 wrote:

Np, I wasn't even thinking for this year. Just a random thought in review as clans consolidate.

Yes. Let's plan for when clans have completely dried up instead of working to build them up and maintain. :roll:
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby IcePack on Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:57 pm

Nut Shot Scott wrote:

but you can imagine 10? lol

Just a random number plucked below the mentioned thresholds. Could have been a handful of numbers.

Nut Shot Scott wrote:
IcePack wrote:
JPlo64 wrote:

Yes. Let's plan for when clans have completely dried up instead of working to build them up and maintain. :roll:

Not sure what gives you the impression Iā€™m actually doing that. It was a passing thought I had that I mentioned. It wasnā€™t that serious nor does it mean I donā€™t think they should be built up etc as you say.

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby MTIceman41 on Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:15 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:It's kind of funny that the only arrangement that keeps S&M out of 1st division is if we have exactly 15 clans sign up!

Would you be perhaps doc brown but actually doctor strange :D
Benedict Cumberbatch solid actor
Brigadier MTIceman41

Postby josko.ri on Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:03 am

I think the cut-off where to make linebetween 2 or 3 divisions is incorrectly selected at 14 clans so that 7-7 becomes into 5-5-5 when 15 clans sign up. Who likes divisions with odd number of clans and then twice clans get bye round and dont play anything for more than a month?

Instead, the cut-off should have been at 16 clans so 2 divisions of 8-8 becomes 6-6-5 in case of 17 clans signs up. Isnt number of clans in each League of 8-8 then 6-6-5 more appealing for singups than if we have 7-7 then 5-5-5? Clans want to play regularly, not to have bye rounds.
Captain josko.ri

Postby ScaryTeded on Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:52 pm

With groovysmurf,
INVOLVED I have no faith in this ..
Sits on hands :o

Teddy
Sergeant 1st Class ScaryTeded

Postby Devante on Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:07 am

Just a thought, i'm new but hear me out... Agree or disagree, can we see how many clans sign up maybe first??? before going too far at each other. Got a strong opinion one way personally but it's mute unless the number signed up matter. And that hasn't caused an issue so far, so...

So chillax maybe
Major Devante

Postby Doc_Brown on Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:19 pm

I was looking at the priority order list and had a thought. One of the questions tossed around in previous discussions is how to handle brand new clans or clans that sit out for a year, especially if we have 3 divisions (would a clan that sat out for a year have to wait two years to get back into the top division?). One of the ideas was to have clans that sit out re-enter one division lower, but since we are assigning divisions based on a priority list, that becomes more difficult to determine. My suggestion is that if a clan sat for a year, place them in the priority list immediately below the last place finisher from the division they most recently competed in. Using the example from the CL14 Promotion and Relegation section, a clan that was previously in Premier division, but sat out last year (designated at PX), would end up 9th in the priority list [P1, P2, P3, P4, S1, S2, P5, P6, PX, S3]. If S3 and P6 had previously engaged in a play-off and S3 won, PX would end up in 10th place below both S3 and P6.

For inserting new clans into the priority list (e.g. LIONs), I'm not sure what the best approach is. One suggestion was to insert them automatically into second division, but again, we're working with a priority list. We can use rankings as a metric, but the priority list is not in order of ranking, so it doesn't work especially well. It's further complicated because brand new clans composed of highly experienced players have a tendency to shoot up the rankings before settling back down once their weight gets high enough. I'd suggest placing a brand new clan in the priority list below all clans that have a rating greater than 85% of the new clan's current rating. e.g. LION currently has a rating of 1291, so they would be placed below any clan with a rating of 1098 or higher. That puts them between LOW and RET in the priority list.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby detlef on Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:48 pm

I'm new to all of this and, as such, can't speak on the informed level that many others here can. I'll just say that there seems to be enough vehement dissent that y'all should reconsider the change? After all, these are the vocal and passionate members of the community that, I would imagine, you want to have buy in to your deal. I mean, you have guys here who are normally at each other's throats who have found one thing they agree on. That this idea sucks.

I don't know, but that seems worth considering.
Colonel detlef

Postby JPlo64 on Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:11 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:I was looking at the priority order list and had a thought. One of the questions tossed around in previous discussions is how to handle brand new clans or clans that sit out for a year, especially if we have 3 divisions (would a clan that sat out for a year have to wait two years to get back into the top division?). One of the ideas was to have clans that sit out re-enter one division lower, but since we are assigning divisions based on a priority list, that becomes more difficult to determine. My suggestion is that if a clan sat for a year, place them in the priority list immediately below the last place finisher from the division they most recently competed in. Using the example from the CL14 Promotion and Relegation section, a clan that was previously in Premier division, but sat out last year (designated at PX), would end up 9th in the priority list [P1, P2, P3, P4, S1, S2, P5, P6, PX, S3]. If S3 and P6 had previously engaged in a play-off and S3 won, PX would end up in 10th place below both S3 and P6.

For inserting new clans into the priority list (e.g. LIONs), I'm not sure what the best approach is. One suggestion was to insert them automatically into second division, but again, we're working with a priority list. We can use rankings as a metric, but the priority list is not in order of ranking, so it doesn't work especially well. It's further complicated because brand new clans composed of highly experienced players have a tendency to shoot up the rankings before settling back down once their weight gets high enough. I'd suggest placing a brand new clan in the priority list below all clans that have a rating greater than 85% of the new clan's current rating. e.g. LION currently has a rating of 1291, so they would be placed below any clan with a rating of 1098 or higher. That puts them between LOW and RET in the priority list.

I did put in a rule about inserting clans that did not play in previous year using the D400.
show

This test is simple and I think produces a good result that is based on the participating clans. Also, this is only written for the case of 3 tiers, but it is very easy to generalize to work for 4+ (not saying that's a likely scenario for us, but I like rules that are scalable).

As you state, if using rankings, there needs to be a way to either not allow new clans or adjust for them not having sufficient weight.
Simply making it 150 seems too high, b/c it does take quite a while to accumulate a weight of 150 and I wouldn't want that to be a major deterrent to starting a new clan with aspirations of higher level competition.
50 seems like a more reasonable bottom but with a handicap.
It may be the case that this handicap is not the best possible way. I was considering writing in additional stipulations on the number of results but didn't want to overcomplicate.
I can see an argument for the handicap to be as high as double as we have it here.
(Edit: After some thinking, it might makes more sense to have the handicap be 200-weight to mirror the +/- 200 part of the D400 equation. In the current example, LION would still qualify)

For the case that we currently have (17 signed up clans), LION would qualify to begin in 2nd Division, FOED and AFOS would not.
Colonel JPlo64

Postby Doc_Brown on Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:23 pm

Got it. That makes sense. I missed that section in the rules. I think that covers things pretty well.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Previous

Return to Clan Archives