Conquer Club

Penalty for Missing Turns

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Postby FoolishFool on Thu May 24, 2007 7:54 pm

don't know if this has been suggested before, but why don't you make it so the person's armies don't double/triple if you miss the first 1/2 turns but you can miss an occasional day afterwards (you get your double/triple) for a legitimate reason. This would make it so missing turns at the beginning wouldn't help you and takes out the "surprise! I'm not a deadbeat!" out of the game.
Captain FoolishFool

Postby MeDeFe on Fri May 25, 2007 2:29 am

Intersting idea, it would certainly make sure people take their early turns and don't try to get 6 armies and grab a small continent out of the blue.

And so far I haven't seen any comments on my earlier idea: full armies for the first missed turn, because ONE missed turn really isn't very much. But if a player misses two consecutive turns or maybe also several non-consecutive turns "diminishing returns" could kick in and reduce the multiplicator. By how much exactly is up for discussion of course.

That way a player who really can't take a turn for whatever reason won't be unduly penalized, but so-called "tactical deadbeating" where a player misses 1 or 2 turns to get his armies multiplied to stage a surprise attack would be made ineffective.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby debra79 on Fri May 25, 2007 4:13 am

I'm all for missed turns after the first one being penalised by less armies, or no armies at all...and I would like to see the kick rule changed, so that someone who misses three turns in a game, irrespective of whether or not they were consecutive, is kicked from the game.
Corporal debra79

Postby MeDeFe on Fri May 25, 2007 4:27 am

In games that last well over 6 months that could turn out to be a problem.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby howie on Fri May 25, 2007 5:39 am

Sometimes I have to miss turns for work etc why penalise me I still try to take my turns once a day.
Private howie

Postby wacicha on Fri May 25, 2007 8:27 am

you guys are not working the system correctly, Yes I have deadbeats In my games I have a lot of games. But there is lots of reasons for missing - especially with new players.

This site is kinda overwheming. So I keep a Letter in my saved messages and Try To Send It to All new Players in my games, to help them get started. The other players who use it as a stratigy do not last long in a game full of veterans who have premium.
Major wacicha

Postby tahitiwahini on Fri May 25, 2007 9:10 am

wacicha wrote:you guys are not working the system correctly, Yes I have deadbeats In my games I have a lot of games. But there is lots of reasons for missing - especially with new players.

This site is kinda overwheming. So I keep a Letter in my saved messages and Try To Send It to All new Players in my games, to help them get started. The other players who use it as a stratigy do not last long in a game full of veterans who have premium.

That's a very good suggestion and will go a long way toward helping with new players who are deadbeating, if the reason for them deadbeating is that they don't understand what they are doing. Of course, it depends on them noticing they have a new message in their inbox, but I'm sure in some cases it works.

I've previously made the suggestion that we force new players to take a tutorial that explains how to take your turns, how long you have to take your turn, how long you may have to wait to take your turn, etc., before they could join or create a game. That would accomplish the same goal with less work on our part.

Finally, simply eliminating the missed turn bonus entirely would result in no one using the missed turn bonus for tactical purposes because the incentive for doing so would be completely eliminated. Many of the suggestions I've seen in this thread go down the path of eliminating the missed turn bonus by reducing the incentive in a variety of creative ways. Those suggestions would certainly help with the deadbeating situation although some of them would be somewhat complicated to program, but when you can completely eliminate the deadbeat problem by eliminating the missed turn bonus entirely I think it should be clear which one I prefer.
Cheers,
Tahitiwahini
Private 1st Class tahitiwahini

Re: Penalty for Missing Turns

Postby UdayanDasgupta on Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:52 pm

What happens when a deadbeater is eliminated in a terminator or assasin game. If deadbeater is eliminated by no one in terminator - will he lose no points? Else if ones opponent is assasin is eliminated by missing turns - will they win by default ?
Corporal UdayanDasgupta

Re: Penalty for Missing Turns

Postby plurple on Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:37 pm

UdayanDasgupta wrote:What happens when a deadbeater is eliminated in a terminator or assasin game. If deadbeater is eliminated by no one in terminator - will he lose no points? Else if ones opponent is assasin is eliminated by missing turns - will they win by default ?

In a terminator game then their territories will remain as they were when they were kicked. Players can then choose to ignore or take out to gain the points and cards if they want to. If all other players are eliminated first then the winner will just get their points.

For assassin the person who had the kicked player as a target will get the kicked players target as their new target.
plurple is not purple 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[
Major plurple
Chatter
Chatter

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion