Conquer Club

Filtering swearwords

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Filtering swearwords

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:59 am

TeeGee wrote:
Lord Arioch wrote:True enuff:)
By the way u can write it in game chat :)

Which has always been why I have argued this.. we filter part of the website, but not all..

The forums are important yet in the past have been the heaviest censored and disciplined

Posts in the forums can be found via Google and suchlike; comments in games cannot.

fuck.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Niggas on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Test.
New Recruit Niggas

Postby mrswdk on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Legend.

Come join Game 17838968. Password is your username.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:53 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:Posts in the forums can be found via Google and suchlike; comments in games cannot.

fuck.

I think the main point is that the word 'fuсk' is filtered while other words (like 'cunt' or 'Thorthoth') can be posted without any sort of filter. Seems a bit weird.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Silly Knig-it on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:25 pm

I think it is an effort (however wasted) to encourage users of this site to expand their vocabulary and learn additional adjectives, and adverbs.
Sergeant 1st Class Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby mrswdk on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Since when was f*ck an adverb?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm

mrswdk wrote:Since when was f*ck an adverb?

Duh, you mean ''fuckly''.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:26 pm

We should work on expanding the list of censored forum words. We should try to have the most complete list of censure so that we become famous. People will come from far and wide to learn how words like "owen" and "FAMO" became censored.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:We should work on expanding the list of censored forum words. We should try to have the most complete list of censure so that we become famous. People will come from far and wide to learn how words like "owen" and "FAMO" became censored.

Actually, we'll be 'FAMO-us'.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby 2dimes on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:45 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I think Twill originally did it as test, though I can't quite remember for sure and could be misremembering. I know I left it in place because I like the humor of having one word only partially censored by the software. :D

--Andy

Ok, classic. I just read this and it's news to me.

I know the filter was there Way back, possibly before I joined. I feel like it was put in after because, I vaguely recall it being treated like a crises by a bunch of members.

I also remember someone typed out some rather long explaination about it being an international website and there being some potential for legal problems if the word was posted in one country then read in another.

I thought the explaination could be true but sounded almost made up. Too funny that it most likely was. Especially because people occasionally would flip out, complaining bitterly. Like typing the F swear is super important to them or a right.

Spectacular!

On the last forum I was a member of there was a guy that kept posting his website that offered to give you money to play poker with. Then the poker site would pay his site for directing players to them. The forum owner and many of the members did not like the guy and kept deleting his link. Then one day set the filter to change it to. http://www.scam1!11.com

There was also a time a bunch of people from another forum joined to cause trouble, one of them kept posting the N word, they set a filter to change that to African American Gentleman.

Also something that a particular member kept miss spelling was filtered to change it to another word that was funny in that context but I can't remember what that was.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mrswdk on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:40 pm

The old 4chan word filters were amusing. Neegra-> roody poo, gay meatball -> candy ass, etc
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 am

DoomYoshi wrote:We should work on expanding the list of censored forum words. We should try to have the most complete list of censure so that we become famous. People will come from far and wide to learn how words like "owen" and "FAMO" became censored.

-------Might be a good(god) way to get new members..........Censoring "JESUS/GOD/or anything else in The World that is GOOD" could make us super popular and talked about on every Left wing cable and radio shows,and every American college campus =D> More money for Bigwhammy...[/size]...Attacking religion has always brought a smile on LEFT American's faces for some reason... :roll:...:)ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)...:)
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 am

2dimes wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I think Twill originally did it as test, though I can't quite remember for sure and could be misremembering. I know I left it in place because I like the humor of having one word only partially censored by the software. :D

--Andy

I know the filter was there Way back, possibly before I joined. I feel like it was put in after because, I vaguely recall it being treated like a crises by a bunch of members.

I also remember someone typed out some rather long explaination about it being an international website and there being some potential for legal problems if the word was posted in one country then read in another.

I thought the explaination could be true but sounded almost made up. Too funny that it most likely was. Especially because people occasionally would flip out, complaining bitterly. Like typing the F swear is super important to them or a right.

Spectacular!

On the last forum I was a member of there was a guy that kept posting his website that offered to give you money to play poker with. Then the poker site would pay his site for directing players to them. The forum owner and many of the members did not like the guy and kept deleting his link. Then one day set the filter to change it to. http://www.scam1!11.com

There was also a time a bunch of people from another forum joined to cause trouble, one of them kept posting the N word, they set a filter to change that to African American Gentleman.

Also something that a particular member kept miss spelling was filtered to change it to another word that was funny in that context but I can't remember what that was.

Yeah, it's been a part of the site since near the beginning. Guess it was Andy's and Twills idea of a sick joke. There's a work around it for those that care enough for the word to be uncensored but I don't see the big deal.

Was it Duk that explained it? Sometimes he reaches into the bullshit zone.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:44 am

DirtyDishSoap wrote:
2dimes wrote:

--Andy

Spectacular!

Yeah, it's been a part of the site since near the beginning. Guess it was Andy's and Twills idea of a sick joke. There's a work around it for those that care enough for the word to be uncensored but I don't see the big deal.

Was it Duk that explained it? Sometimes he reaches into the bullshit zone.

For the record, I do NOT ever reach into the bullshit zone. At least not on serious issues.

However, why would you even ask if the explanation came from me, when the explanation is contained in your own quote?!?!

Andy, a first-hand witness, remembers that it was Twill installed the forum filters. Presumably Twill installed them, was daunted by the task of actually configuring them, and just left the program with the one default word that it comes with. When Andy took over, he could have uninstalled it, but he thought it was funny to just leave it. That is contained in your own quote.

I HAVE checked. There is no policy or announcement about this anywhere. Just an incomplete project that one admin started on a whim and never completed, and ten years' worth of other admins who either don't care or also think it's funny to have this cute little anachronism sitting around as an archeological marker to Twill's Workshop.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 am

Lighten up, homie. T'was a joke at your expense.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 am

DirtyDishSoap wrote:
Lighten up, homie. T'was a joke at your expense.

Not a problem....:)

I always feel a need to clarify, but that doesn't mean I'm offended.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:13 am

Twill doe.

Twilldo?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:14 am

mrswdk wrote:Twill doe.

Twilldo?

UNICORN?
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Twilldo was a popular nick name.

It was so long ago I don't remember who came up with the international swearing legal issue explaination. It was probably one of the several lawyers that came over to form the TB Shockers. Later re-named the stachewackers to troll the original top clan here.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Silly Knig-it on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:21 am

Thorthoth wrote:
mrswdk wrote:Since when was f*ck an adverb?

Duh, you mean ''fuckly''.

An adverb is a word that modifies a verb. An adjective is a word that modifies a noun. The word we are discussing here fits into all categories.

As in: The fucked, fucker, fucking fucked the fucking language fuckssignment.

The fucked, mrswdk, screwed up the lesson. (fucked is an adjective modifying mrswdk (noun))

The fucked fucker, screwed up the lesson (here we have inserted fucker as a replacement noun for mrswdk)

The fucked fucker, fucking screwed up the lesson (here we see fucking modifying the verb screwed, thus making it an adverb without the need of an "ly" (amazing))

The fucked fucker, fucking fucked up the lesson. (here fucked serves first as an adjective and then comes back to serve as the verb)

The fucked fucker, fucking fucked up the fucking language fuckssignment. (here we see fucking serve first as an adverb and the come right back as an adjective)

So one could taking the liberty that the English language allows write:

The mrswdked, mrswdk, mrswdking mrswdked the mrswdking language mrswdkssignment.
Sergeant 1st Class Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby mrswdk on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:07 am

Silly Knig-it wrote:The fucked fucker, fucking screwed up the lesson (here we see fucking modifying the verb screwed, thus making it an adverb without the need of an "ly" (amazing)).

Wrong. The use of the word 'fucking' in that sentence does nothing to modify the verb. What's the difference between 'fucking screwing something up' and 'screwing something up'? Nothing.

And we're talking about the word 'fuсk', not 'fucking'.

mrswdk - 3
nigit - 0
Lieutenant mrswdk

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion