Conquer Club

The "Deadbeating Problem"

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

The "Deadbeating Problem"

Postby glide on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:26 am

Is there anyway we can have a "blurb" put in thats a "must read" for newbies? Something explaining the implications of joining games you don't understand, or aren't ready for.....and what happens to your reputation when you deadbeat? It's great to see the site growing so fast, but I'm getting to where I don't want to post games in public games cuz of the problem. Perhaps I should post this in suggestions........but Gen.Discussion gets more exposure. What's everybody think? :roll:
Gatekeeper, and Proud Member of XI Games
Newt Hunter
Private 1st Class glide

Location: 7km outside the thriving metropolis of Centreville, New Brunswick!

Postby lackattack on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:56 am

I have a training program with automatic pms and stuff on my to-do list.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby honestjohn on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:24 am

I think the suggestion has some merit. I'm not sure though if I'm convinced that it would make a difference in the committment of a player to his/her games. I've just finished reading the feedback of one player, who is no longer a 'newbie', but has the reputation of 'dead beating' if things don't go his way. I've only had to deal with deadbeating about 4 times since Nov. '06 and one of them was no longer a newbie.

For me, the solution has been to stay away from the 'open' games and just use the 'private' section.

However, remembering the days when you and I (glide) were still just newbies ourselves, I remember the kindness and patience of some of the 'vets' in helping me through the learning stages.
So, my approach to helping the newbies is -- I will go through the members list and look for new members. Then I will watch their games and see how they conduct themselves in the 'game chat' area, specifically. Then I will make a contact through the PM channel and invite them to join me in a game with others that I know will make them welcome and provide a 'fun' experience.
(I like the advent of the 2 player game because I think a newbie is more likely to play a 1 v 1 at first, rather than jump into a game where he/she might feel overwhelmed by 'vets'.)

I think a sad truth is that if a person is going to be a deadbeat, they won't be affected by something in writing anyway. I believe I've read somewhere on our site that 'abusive language' is discouraged and if you were able to see my 'ignore' list, you would see that most of the names there are folks that have either not seen that note, or chose to completely ignore it.

Thanks.
Quote to my grandson, "if the game isn't fun, we put it away"
"Aspire to inspire before you expire."

"And he went forth conquering and to conquer". Rev. 6:2

xi members are tops
Cook honestjohn

Postby loopinvariant on Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:16 pm

I posted an idea to help with the problem as well in the suggestions forum. Maybe it has merit or could use some tweaks, take a look:

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... 847#537847
Corporal 1st Class loopinvariant

Re: The "Deadbeating Problem"

Postby MingFromMongo on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:28 pm

glide wrote:Is there anyway we can have a "blurb" put in thats a "must read" for newbies? Something explaining the implications of joining games you don't understand, or aren't ready for.....and what happens to your reputation when you deadbeat? It's great to see the site growing so fast, but I'm getting to where I don't want to post games in public games cuz of the problem. Perhaps I should post this in suggestions........but Gen.Discussion gets more exposure. What's everybody think? :roll:

Being a newbie myself, I would have benefitted from a little warning as to how long a game might last. I started into a couple games not realizing that they might last into the week I was to be on vacation. Fortunately and unfortunately my vacation fell through and I never did miss a turn but I did get a little overly aggressive trying to force a quicker conclusion in one game.
Major MingFromMongo

Postby gethine on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:38 pm

MingFromMongo wrote:but I did get a little overly aggressive

this is a bad thing?
Major gethine

Postby MingFromMongo on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:40 pm

gethine wrote:
MingFromMongo wrote:but I did get a little overly aggressive

this is a bad thing?

Not for my opponents.
Major MingFromMongo

Postby [TDM]Walhallah on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:22 pm

whats this 'deadbeating' that seems to be a problem?
Lieutenant [TDM]Walhallah

Postby chessplaya on Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:29 pm

some ppl join and like the site and get a hang with it

some ppl join and dislike the site and deadbeat the games they r in and never comeback

the 2nd part is the problem , which i see no real solution for it as in no matter what u do when u dislike something u will never comeback to do it ....

Chessplaya
Veni...
Vidi...
Vici...
Captain chessplaya

Postby [TDM]Walhallah on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:35 am

but what is deadbeating ?

i cant help being a newb!

Postby Thai Robert on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:28 am

removed
Last edited by Thai Robert on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Thai Robert

Postby dcowboys055 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:01 am

[TDM]Walhallah wrote:but what is deadbeating ?

i cant help being a newb!

Joining a game and not taking your turns 3 times in a row so you are kicked out.
XI since August '06
Captain dcowboys055

Postby AttilatheHun on Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:00 am

I got to say, i think if people keep deadbeating they should get a 3 day ban or something, it might discourage some....also i think that having to miss 3 consectutive turns before being kicked needs to be looked at, there are games where people keep missing a couple of turns but then play what would have been the 3rd missed turn then miss turns again, this causes (in my opinion)people to either not play also or to lose interest in the game, ryansdad has missed 5 turns in one of the games i'm in at the moment, and got to say, i find it seriously annoying! I know its not cheating and sometimes things happen, but surely its unreasonable to join a game if you are going to miss so many turns?
Corporal 1st Class AttilatheHun

Postby [TDM]Walhallah on Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:35 pm

maybe im silly but i recently came here and i WANT to take turns. i cant stop checking if i can make my next brilliant move !

*cough*..ok, i now know what deadbeating means, and yes, I already find it annoying and it should be stopped!

Postby Bob Janova on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:10 pm

I don't think there's any way to stop newbies deadbeating and leaving – obviously new signings have to be allowed to join games, and some of them won't like CC. (Apologies to the people I deadbeated by the way, I didn't realise how long a game would take and went on holiday to a place without internet :oops: .)

An 'average turn time' statistic would be a good addition imo.

I also think that you shouldn't get the extra armies for missing a turn, which would stop anyone doing it intentionally and get some 'maybe I can get on' people to actually take their turn.
Private Bob Janova

Postby Optimus Prime on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:13 pm

I think glide has a really good point. I'm glad to see that Lack has something in the works for this kind of thing.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby glide on Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:08 am

The "average turn time" statistic printed by your name is an excellent idea......I know I'm sometimes slow after beginning my turn.....but at least if they were printed I could prove that KoolBak's just a newt and is picking on the gentle old bear!!!!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Newt Hunter
Private 1st Class glide

Postby EmperorBrak on Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:32 am

How about when you deadbeat you get a series of spam emails saying "why did you deadbeat asshole?" :D
Corporal EmperorBrak

Postby glide on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:19 pm

excellent point......and then they could all be shot with a ball of their own..........oh wait........(ok....I won't say it, but I can chuckle while I think it!) :lol:
Newt Hunter
Private 1st Class glide

Postby Blackadder on Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:34 pm

At least they don't cash in multiple armies, unlike people deliberately missing turns to get the multiplyer effect (happening in a 2player game I am in..on the verge on leaving my first neg feed back, the take a turn,miss a turn pattern has been repeated twice in 4 rounds.) :twisted:
Cook Blackadder

Postby asiago on Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:47 pm

deadbeaters should not recieve armies ....it is obvious what their intentions are. 9 armies on their 3rd turn is a bit much.if they do not like losing they should not play...maybe take up knitting instead :evil:
Last edited by asiago on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private asiago

Postby b.k. barunt on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:55 pm

If someone deadbeats in a game i'm in, i give nf, and that's pretty much the only nf i give. If everyone did this, it would help cut down on the problem. By perusing nfs that i have given, i find that less than half of them are non returning n00bs, so contrary to what the mods would have you believe, non returning n00bs are not really the problem. Lack keeps the rules lax on deadbeating because it brings in more members (money), and we as dues paying members must suffer for it. Pardon me for stating the obvious, but this sucks.
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby dfadcock5 on Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:39 pm

I prefer the Landgrab term "borg" or "borging" Deadbeat just means some Dad who doesn't provide for the kids when the relationship ends.
Cadet dfadcock5

Return to Conquer Club Discussion