Conquer Club

HOMEMADE RISK BOARD IDEA

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

HOMEMADE RISK BOARD IDEA

Postby Misfire on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Ok, so I have an idea for a RISK game board to use at home. Tell me what you think...
Things to get:
1) A dry erase board (a moderately large one which is bigger than a game board)

2) A pack of 6+ colored dry erase markers.

3) A thin piece of clear plastic from a poster board frame (they sell them at places like Walmart right beside the poster boards usually with sports theme or movie themes).

4) magnets for as many territories as you plan on having for your game map. Classic is 42, but other maps have even more sometimes. You can buy packs of them if you know where to look.

5) tiny metal bolts (100 for each player should be more than plenty and you can find them at a hardware store)

6) medium size metal screws (maybe 20 per player)

7) large metal bolts (maybe 20 per player)

8) 6+ colors of spray paint.

9) game cards (draw your own numbers or territory names onto a cheap card set)

10) friends

Ok, so that is what you need. The metal nuts represent the pieces of each army\player. Small ones = 1. Medium = 5. Large = 10. After you paint them they are ready to use as your game pieces and they will stick to the magnets even when someone bumps the game board. Players can use the markers to draw their own maps together before starting or maybe use a stencil to draw the classic map or other maps. Endless possibilities!
After the game map and bonus bar is drawn onto the board, put the thin plastic sheet over the board and tighten it down with magnets on the sides of the game board. This keeps the map from being rubbed and erased. After that, put a magnet on top of each territory. They shoukd stick to the dry erase board perfectly. The magnets will not move during the game, but the pieces (nuts) can be place and off rather easily and they won't fly all over the place when someone bumps the table. This magnetic setup also makes it easy to preserve a game for long periods of time. People may be more inclined to play RISK with us at our home if they don't have to play the whole game all at once in one sitting. The pieces won't go anywhere.

What do you think? I hope some of you try it as I intend to do. I think it's healthy to play with people in real life and have healthy face to face relationships.

One day I want to make a circular dry erase board setup ontop of a Lazy Susan that spins for ease of access for each player around the table. I want the marker board to be there as optional when players feel creative, but i also want favorite map prints to go on top of the dry erase board as well. Better cards and better pieces could eventually be found as well perhaps.

How would you like to play on that kind of RISK board?
Sergeant 1st Class Misfire

Re: HOMEMADE RISK BOARD IDEA

Postby Scarlet Lady on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:53 pm

I think the lazy Susan is a really good idea, but instead of metal nuts you could use rice and colour each grain with food colouring which they sell in Tesco's. When the game is finished just eat the rice with some sweet and sour chicken. That way you and your friends can enjoy a healthy meal along with a healthy face to face game of risk.
Lieutenant Scarlet Lady

Postby riskllama on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:40 pm

inb4 lock/ban.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby HitRed on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:23 am

If the rice and chicken have broccoli I'm in.
Captain HitRed

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 am

---------If we are at Wal-mart...spending all kinds of money on supplies...Couldn't we just buy a R.I.S.K. game for $19.99,instead? ;) .... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby TeeGee on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:08 pm

ConfederateSS wrote:---------If we are at Wal-mart...spending all kinds of money on supplies...Couldn't we just buy a R.I.S.K. game for $19.99,instead? ;) .... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)

only in a merry car... no wal-mart in AUS :shock:
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby IcePack on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:18 pm

That sounds like a lotta work.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby King_Herpes on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Misfire wrote:Ok, so I have an idea for a RISK game board to use at home. Tell me what you think...
Things to get:
1) A dry erase board (a moderately large one which is bigger than a game board)

2) A pack of 6+ colored dry erase markers.

3) A thin piece of clear plastic from a poster board frame (they sell them at places like Walmart right beside the poster boards usually with sports theme or movie themes).

4) magnets for as many territories as you plan on having for your game map. Classic is 42, but other maps have even more sometimes. You can buy packs of them if you know where to look.

5) tiny metal bolts (100 for each player should be more than plenty and you can find them at a hardware store)

6) medium size metal screws (maybe 20 per player)

7) large metal bolts (maybe 20 per player)

8) 6+ colors of spray paint.

9) game cards (draw your own numbers or territory names onto a cheap card set)

10) friends

Ok, so that is what you need. The metal nuts represent the pieces of each army\player. Small ones = 1. Medium = 5. Large = 10. After you paint them they are ready to use as your game pieces and they will stick to the magnets even when someone bumps the game board. Players can use the markers to draw their own maps together before starting or maybe use a stencil to draw the classic map or other maps. Endless possibilities!
After the game map and bonus bar is drawn onto the board, put the thin plastic sheet over the board and tighten it down with magnets on the sides of the game board. This keeps the map from being rubbed and erased. After that, put a magnet on top of each territory. They shoukd stick to the dry erase board perfectly. The magnets will not move during the game, but the pieces (nuts) can be place and off rather easily and they won't fly all over the place when someone bumps the table. This magnetic setup also makes it easy to preserve a game for long periods of time. People may be more inclined to play RISK with us at our home if they don't have to play the whole game all at once in one sitting. The pieces won't go anywhere.

What do you think? I hope some of you try it as I intend to do. I think it's healthy to play with people in real life and have healthy face to face relationships.

One day I want to make a circular dry erase board setup ontop of a Lazy Susan that spins for ease of access for each player around the table. I want the marker board to be there as optional when players feel creative, but i also want favorite map prints to go on top of the dry erase board as well. Better cards and better pieces could eventually be found as well perhaps.

How would you like to play on that kind of RISK board?

Uh, maybe if I was stuck on a garbage island with the Swiss Army Man.
Sorry about your little butt ✪ Dumb fucking e-lambs the lot of you
Lieutenant King_Herpes

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:23 pm

It's fun to jest, but I think his idea of using magnets is a legitimate improvement.

Think of all the times the pieces go flying because somebody stands up too abruptly or whatever. I think magnets would alleviate a lot of hassle.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Wouldn’t a whole bunch of magnets next to each other in close quarters that get bumped just snap together, cuz they are...magnets?

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 pm

IcePack wrote:Wouldn’t a whole bunch of magnets next to each other in close quarters that get bumped just snap together, cuz they are...magnets?

I don't think so. Back when I drove cab, the dispatcher had pretty much that, a steel plate on the wall with a bunch of magnets representing the various cars, and he slid them around on the board and they didn't seem to clump.

I think because their magnetic field is straight up and down, and it's pretty much a dead zone to the sides.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby King_Herpes on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Dukasaur wrote:It's fun to jest, but I think his idea of using magnets is a legitimate improvement.

Think of all the times the pieces go flying because somebody stands up too abruptly or whatever. I think magnets would alleviate a lot of hassle.

You think a lot of things, that doesn't mean the cat/dog/iguana won't come strolling though and knock them off the board anyways. Although I can picture you playing this successfully on the hood of an 18-wheeler with koolbak and co.

That would be the shit, Cool Hand Duk.

Admit this sounds like something Tim the Tool Man Taylor would find Wilson half hiding his face behind though.
Sorry about your little butt ✪ Dumb fucking e-lambs the lot of you
Lieutenant King_Herpes

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Oh yeah! :D
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:28 pm

You need to change your user name to Cool Hand Duk. The tribe has spoken.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Misfire on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:37 pm

Hmmm... I guess sitting around the table with friends having s good time with th best board game ever on a customized edition isn't appealing to CC players. I'm going to try to build one.

Postby Scarlet Lady on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 pm

You'd have a helluva shock if we all turned up at your door with our nuts and bolts and spray paint :o
Lieutenant Scarlet Lady

Postby armati on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:06 pm

We used a 4'x8' sheet of pressboard in my stores.

For world at war, board painted light blue, map lines black and countries painted in.
We used A&A and lead pcs.

Any old wargamers might recall those lead pcs.
We used a box for rolling, you dont want dice flung on the board.

For risk we used a 3x3 board?, hard board, white sheet stuff, forget the name of it.
Get it at art supply stores.
Didnt need it to fold, when not using it just went up against the wall somewhere.

Table top wargaming is very cool.
Sergeant armati

Postby Misfire on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Cool!

Postby owenshooter on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Misfire wrote:Ok, so I have an idea for a RISK game board to use at home. Tell me what you think...

i think this would be amazing in Off Topics... multiple other discussions that match this... in before the merge/move!!-BJ
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Return to Conquer Club Discussion