Conquer Club

the "unwritten rules"

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: the "unwritten rules"

Postby Caymanmew on Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:19 pm

Craig25 wrote: Why don't you have a try at it? A Poly Super League, you never know?

I don't like 1v1 games, simple as that. It is not about rank, just my enjoyment of the site. 1v1 is far to luck based and has little room for outplaying your opponent, going first wins the majority of the time on most maps.

Also, maybe if you made the Clan System more inviting to players there would be more of an uptake?

Unfortunately, that is not so simple. the biggest problem with clans is the lack of clan leaders, people willing to put the time into leading a clan. Even the most poorly run clans take more effort to run than most tournaments. The top runs clans probably take a similar effort to run as the super league does, although top clans generally are run with multiple people splitting the workload. Clans don't have an end date either, those in charge generally are in charge for years on end without any real breaks.

The CD Team is certainly willing to help anyone wanting to get into clans and will support both new and old clans however we can, but we can't run a bunch of clans ourselves, Every clan requires a leader.

The reality is clans are the elite part of the site. Those interested solely in a more casual or relaxed experience will not be interested in clans, but that is ok, tournaments, like the super league, provide people with that casual competition. The site needs to cater to different competitive mindsets to stay healthy.

And, a Fog Rule for a handful of Clan Games that requires manual enforcement, and probably some disputes.

It is quite rare for clan games to have fog related disputes large enough to require a game remake or CD involvement. 99.9% of people will just follow the fog rules or give the information if they need to take their turn before 12 hours is up. The majority of clan games are fog btw, so it is not a handful lol. 94% of games in CL14 (1848 games total) were fog.

The Tourney needs to be fair, when you go introducing a Fog Rule that will not be 100% accurate for 100% of the Games, it becomes un-fair.

This is exactly what you have. In clans we require 12 hours wait or full information to be given, this is 100% equal and fair as every has all the information for every game. Your way brings luck into it.

For example: You have 8 games, 4 home, 4 away, and you join last on your home games so you get a snap, but you start first in only 1 of those games, so your opponent gets a snap in 3 of the 4. For the away games your opponent started first in 2 of the games, so you only got a snap in 2 of them. In total you have 6 games where you got full information while your opponent has 7, that is not fair at all.
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby detlef on Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:24 pm

Not only does it seem impossible to make it fair from a standpoint of how often you get a snap (as was pointed out in the post immediately before this), you also can't be sure that you'll get a snap when you really need one. Every map and starting position is unique and sometimes it's rather obvious what happened so it doesn't matter.

Honestly, short of a game-opening auto-snap (which would be awesome though it's likely pointless to get our hopes up), clearly the best option is how it is run in clans. Wait 12 hours or just tell them what you did if you can't. It's tidy, effective, and really not a problem at all. I don't see why this is such a big deal.
Colonel detlef

Postby MichelSableheart on Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:59 pm

The 12H fog rule is fair, but it is a requirement that is not enforced by the site itself. It is something the players need to consciously be aware of. The amount of effort a player puts into their games varies tremendously. In high level clan games, the expectation is that you log in multiple times per day to discuss the gamestate of the game, even when it isn't your turn. In those circumstances, a mistake is easily fixed, either by the player themselves (who will check into the site regularly) or by one of their teammates (all of whom log in for discussions). Which makes the rule excellent for (high level) clan games.

Without that regular need to discuss game state, it is far easier to get away with logging in once a day at the same time every day. Sure, there might be the occassional situation where you might miss a turn due to unfortunate timing, but it generally won't be a problem. What's worse, there will be plenty of players doing that with a high gameload, of which only a small portion are tournament games. In those circumstances, it is very easy to forget that for this particular tournament game, the 12H fog rule is in effect, and then simply not log back in in time to fix the mistake. This means that some form of enforcement will be required far more often in a 1v1 tournament setting, making the rule less suited for those circumstances.

It's still a good rule, but there are definitely valid reasons for not wanting to use it in that case.
MichelSableheart,
Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
And a member of the Republic
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby Craig25 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:32 am

You are getting LUCK mixed up with FAIRNESS again. It's a simple concept. So you are totally incorrect. My Tournament is 100% FAIR, and of course, Luck does play a part. But, over 110,000 games now. Starts between HOME and AWAY players level out. So luck in the short term plays a part, but, not in the long term. What are you looking for dice to roll an average of 3.5 every roll, A Totally Equal Drop, Everybody to get a 3 card Set every 3 Cards? RISK is partly LUCK.

What is proven is that the best players rise to the Top in the Super League, check out the Tables, bear in mind, some players started late and are working through the Leagues:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p8NopcJwcy-F9pm4s6YuMPE148DDpYBs5tCda26gC_g/edit?usp=sharing

On LUCK versus fairness, in the Lottery, only 1 person usually wins because they got super LUCKY. The other players did not get the same amount of luck. But get this, even although they lost, it was still FAIR for the Millions of Players who took part. A simple analargy on LUCK versus FAIRNESS.

Caymanmew wrote:For example: You have 8 games, 4 home, 4 away, and you join last on your home games so you get a snap, but you start first in only 1 of those games, so your opponent gets a snap in 3 of the 4. For the away games your opponent started first in 2 of the games, so you only got a snap in 2 of them. In total you have 6 games where you got full information while your opponent has 7, that is not fair at all.
Major Craig25

Postby Clanlord Carl on Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:20 pm

The solution is an autosnap at game start for both players.
Then no need for fog rules, aggro or anything else.

And Super league matches are very much skill related....i assure you that many people with 'stars' and 'eagles' would get a rude awakening if they dared risk their clan - team inflated ratings against the street fighters who play singles all settings against all rating allcomers day in day out.

I was under the impression the super league was luck based tournament for low ranks and tournament addicts, which explains the lack of almost all the better players on the site.

Care to RISK your inflated rating then ? No i thought not.

'Better player' Sir Caymanmew ran away,
Bravely ran away, away.
When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Caymanmew turned about
And gallantly, he chickened out. Bravely taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Caymanmew.
(thanks to Holy Grail).

Edit - you could of course prove me wrong ?
Last edited by Clanlord Carl on Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Clanlord Carl

Postby Craig25 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:29 pm

LOL!

So is that where you get your poetry! :D :D :D

Clanlord Carl wrote:The solution is an autosnap at game start for both players.

And Super league matches are very much skill related....i assure you that many people with 'stars' and 'eagles' would get a rude awakening if they dared risk their clan - team inflated ratings against the street fighters who play singles all settings against all rating allcomers day in day out.

I was under the impression the super league was luck based tournament for low ranks and tournament addicts, which explains the lack of almost all the better players on the site.

Bravely ran away, away.
(thanks to Holy Grail).
Major Craig25

Postby Clanlord Carl on Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:38 pm

Very kind comments Scarlet Lady and Extreme ways. Thanks.
Colonel Clanlord Carl

Postby Caymanmew on Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:52 pm

Bravely ran away, away.
(thanks to Holy Grail).

I don't give a f*ck about my rank, it goes wherever it wants to go.

I do manage my game loads to ensure I am as fresh and focused as I can be for my clan games, as I take those seriously. I rarely play any casual games to be honest. Although I have played them in tribes, to the great determent of my rank that I supposedly care so much about, I don't take any enjoyment in 1v1 games to be honest, I like the additional strategy and outplay potential in team (poly) games and stick to those. Although I don't play every map, I am generally fine to play on most maps, and very much comfortable on standard maps. Super League bans most of the maps I don't know how to play anyways so that is hardly a concern to me.

That all being said, my game load is quite low right now and season 14 of the super league matches up fairly well for me schedule wise, so Craig, sign me up. My opinion doesn't change on the tournament as a whole, and I don't think how you handle the fog rule can be defined as 100% fair, even if it is the best way for you to handle it, but I am willing to "sacrifice" my rank and play.
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby Clanlord Carl on Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:01 pm

Caymanmew wrote:

Bravely ran away, away.
(thanks to Holy Grail).

I don't give a f*ck about my rank, it goes wherever it wants to go.

I do manage my game loads to ensure I am as fresh and focused as I can be for my clan games, as I take those seriously. I rarely play any casual games to be honest. Although I have played them in tribes, to the great determent of my rank that I supposedly care so much about, I don't take any enjoyment in 1v1 games to be honest, I like the additional strategy and outplay potential in team (poly) games and stick to those. Although I don't play every map, I am generally fine to play on most maps, and very much comfortable on standard maps. Super League bans most of the maps I don't know how to play anyways so that is hardly a concern to me.

That all being said, my game load is quite low right now and season 14 of the super league matches up fairly well for me schedule wise, so Craig, sign me up. My opinion doesn't change on the tournament as a whole, and I don't think how you handle the fog rule can be defined as 100% fair, even if it is the best way for you to handle it, but I am willing to "sacrifice" my rank and play.

Respect where it is due...
Colonel Clanlord Carl

Postby Craig25 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:03 pm

1. Mind your language.
2. What makes you any more special than any other player on CC? If you want to play, sign up yourself!

:D
Major Craig25

Postby Caymanmew on Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:10 pm

Craig25 wrote:1. Mind your language.
2. What makes you any more special than any other player on CC? If you want to play, sign up yourself!

:D

Well I am your highest ranked player now I believe ;)

But I posted in your thread.
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby shoop76 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Even for clans the fog rule is mainly mainly between the clans themselves as the default rule I see mentioned in CCXIII is "12 Hour Fog of War Rule will not be in effect (negotiable - TO will not monitor, but will enforce if reported)". Honestly the most logical step is to have autosnaps to begin a game, but by the looks of that it is not as easy to set up as hoped.

I do agree that 1v1 is more luck based than poly or team games, but I also believe the luck has been overstated a little. When you look at the Super League or Map Masters or any big 1v1 tournaments that have been run the same players always seem to rise to the top. The problem is that you do face a lot of low ranks and many times, even if you play them in a 5 game series and win 4 you still lose points.

Personally I don't care about rank, not that I believe I could ever be a very high ranked player. I prefer 1v1 games on mostly simple maps. This way I don't have to spend that much time thinking strategy. I have a strong dislike for Poly, just seems the games last too long. But I do realize that everyone is on this site for different reasons. I think the Super League has been great for this site. Its well run, fast moving and has brought many players to tournaments that might not otherwise have been here.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby artillery77 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:15 pm

You know, there was this one time I saw these old guys fighting....or at least, they were trying to fight. But neither could really throw a punch anymore and they were both winded within a minute of nothing happening.

For some reason, I thought of that while reading this thread.
Captain artillery77

Postby Clanlord Carl on Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:40 pm

artillery77 wrote:You know, there was this one time I saw these old guys fighting....or at least, they were trying to fight. But neither could really throw a punch anymore and they were both winded within a minute of nothing happening.

For some reason, I thought of that while reading this thread.

Damn at least they tried !
Colonel Clanlord Carl

Postby Craig25 on Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:00 am

Super League had 278 Players (100 of whom are Ranked 2000+), you are now 279!

Good Luck, and I hope you get PUMPED SILLY! :D

Caymanmew wrote:Well I am your highest ranked player now I believe ;)

But I posted in your thread.
Major Craig25

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:46 pm

That sounds like an indecent proposal...:)
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby SoN!c on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:00 pm

shoop76 wrote:Even for clans the fog rule is mainly mainly between the clans themselves as the default rule I see mentioned in CCXIII is "12 Hour Fog of War Rule will not be in effect (negotiable - TO will not monitor, but will enforce if reported)". Honestly the most logical step is to have autosnaps to begin a game, but by the looks of that it is not as easy to set up as hoped.

I do agree that 1v1 is more luck based than poly or team games, but I also believe the luck has been overstated a little. When you look at the Super League or Map Masters or any big 1v1 tournaments that have been run the same players always seem to rise to the top. The problem is that you do face a lot of low ranks and many times, even if you play them in a 5 game series and win 4 you still lose points.

Personally I don't care about rank, not that I believe I could ever be a very high ranked player. I prefer 1v1 games on mostly simple maps. This way I don't have to spend that much time thinking strategy. I have a strong dislike for Poly, just seems the games last too long. But I do realize that everyone is on this site for different reasons. I think the Super League has been great for this site. Its well run, fast moving and has brought many players to tournaments that might not otherwise have been here.

I disagree here.

Simple facts: if you join Superleague as a full bird general or a field marshall you will be a brig soon.. Still you would rise to top divisions soon yes, but as a colonel or a major probably. It is the way the CC point system works.. As a field marshall you would drop in rank by losing 1 game to a cook even by winning 8 games to a sarge...and as drop and going first would mean the cook is likely to win one for sure..

Shoop76 is the GOAT of Superleague and he is Major rank.. that says it all.

But yes, most players wanna have fun games and that is Superleague. And yes the best players will rise to top ranks BUT not as field marshall or a full bird general; CC ranking will punish that. At best you will be a colonel or a brig - nothing higher.
Major SoN!c

Postby Extreme Ways on Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:12 pm

Honestly it sounds like you agree with shoop :lol:
TOFU, ex-REP, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
General Extreme Ways

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:18 am

Where is the "Rule" or explanation of the Resign feature. I was trying to give someone a link or resource and did not see it. Thanks.
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby SoN!c on Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:11 pm

Extreme Ways wrote:Honestly it sounds like you agree with shoop :lol:

Well, that is because i like him so much then :D

Still i disagree
Major SoN!c

Postby Donelladan on Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:11 am

Not really in topic because it's actually a written rules, but I bet most people don't know it was changed ( and probably many didn't know the rule before it was changed)

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=239798
Brigadier Donelladan

Previous

Return to Conquer Club Discussion