Conquer Club

Baltic Crusades

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Baltic Crusades

Postby Maxleod on Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:54 pm

Why the hype? Don't get me wrong, this map is nice, or OK, I mean no disrespect to the mapmakers, I have the utmost respect for them, but how exactly did this one peculiar map become so popular?
Lieutenant Maxleod

Location: DARDIS (Drunkness And Relative Dimensions In Sleep)

Re: Baltic Crusades

Postby Craig25 on Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:19 pm

It seems to be just about the Only map that a Speed Game will start on during the day (CET).
Major Craig25

Postby MikasaAckerman on Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:41 am

Craig25 wrote:It seems to be just about the Only map that a Speed Game will start on during the day (CET).

I agree.
New Recruit MikasaAckerman

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:40 am

Maxleod wrote:Why the hype? Don't get me wrong, this map is nice, or OK, I mean no disrespect to the mapmakers, I have the utmost respect for them, but how exactly did this one peculiar map become so popular?

Seems to be in the Goldilocks Zone. Not too big, not too small, just right. Not too simple, not too complex, just right. Allows for some interesting strategies while not requiring a spreadsheet to plan them.

I think the strong autodeploys on the castles, along with the fact that most of the castles control strategic choke-points, does a much better job of reflecting what people (both in real life and in games) expect from a castle.

Plus, it looks good, plus it has genuine historical interest.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby anonymus on Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:43 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Maxleod wrote:Why the hype? Don't get me wrong, this map is nice, or OK, I mean no disrespect to the mapmakers, I have the utmost respect for them, but how exactly did this one peculiar map become so popular?

Seems to be in the Goldilocks Zone. Not too big, not too small, just right. Not too simple, not too complex, just right. Allows for some interesting strategies while not requiring a spreadsheet to plan them.

I think the strong autodeploys on the castles, along with the fact that most of the castles control strategic choke-points, does a much better job of reflecting what people (both in real life and in games) expect from a castle.

Plus, it looks good, plus it has genuine historical interest.

Plus a decent chance that if both players knows it, whomever starts likely wins. And if someone joins that doesn't know it.. well then you still win. making it a pretty safe bet for 50+% I.e. points-gain..

/ :?:
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Major anonymus

Postby Nucker on Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:09 am

I do like this map as it allows for plenty of options.
However the Castles are very strong for a 3 neutral starting position. There should be 5 starting neutrals on the Castles.
Major Nucker

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:01 am

The blue chameleon smiles :)

In any case...since I'm not going to put effort into mapmaking for this site anymore, if there's a strong desire to change starting neutrals for castles (and obviously iancanton is fine with it) then I'm ok if someone is willing to modify the xml specially because it doesn't require to me make graphics changes.

I'm happy you people like the map
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Return to Conquer Club Discussion