Conquer Club

Has anyone ever read the rules of Risk recently?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Has anyone ever read the rules of Risk recently?

Postby Pedronicus on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:33 pm

I've been playing Risk for over 15 years now, but never read the rules until just now.

Very interesting.

I've been playing some weird, strange made up rules in the past with my mates it would appear. (They had been playing it 10 years before I joined, and had come up with their way of playing the game, and I played to those rules for the 15 years)
Their rules were: Mission cards, escalating (cards go up in mutiples of 3, up to 30, then down to 3 and back up again) adjacent forts, maximum number of cards to be allowed to be held is 4 before handing them in (jokers included in the deck)

But what struck me in reading the rules was;
World domination - you play escalating cards.
and for
Mission cards - you play flat rate.
I didn't come across the no cards option anywhere.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby Robinette on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:47 pm

Your mates are very creative...

I have an old game from 1963 that has what I think are the same rules as the 1959 version. This is what we have always used.... except that we often played "limited escalating" (4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11....) and I don't remember if that was in the original rules or not.

I am pretty sure that Mission Risk is a "modern" variation, and I don't ever remember reading the rules from the more modern games. We all preferred the wood blocks, so the newer games never got used unless we were setting up more than 1 table. So there we would be, wearing the heck out of the game we found at a yard sale, while the shiney new modern game our parents bought sat relativley unused.

The biggest difference that jumped out at me playing CC was the inital troop deployment of 3 armies per country. We would of course either pick countries one at a time, or deal the cards. Either way, we would have only 1 army per country and then fortify 1 at a time.
Brigadier Robinette

Postby hitandrun on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:17 pm

There have been many rule changes in Risk. The USA alone has seen five. England a few more, and a few in France. These include changes to card values, initial deployment, etc.
Mission risk was introduced into the English version in the 70s, but the USA didn't see it until 90s.
I think the reason they never mention a 'no cards' option is to keep the game as short as possible. The reason they brought most rule changes in was to speed the game up. No cards is fine on CC, but I know I couldn't sit at a real board moving little pieces around that long!
Corporal hitandrun

Postby Evil Semp on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:01 pm

The game of Risk is the only game that I can think of that has so many different variations. We would play that when your turn started if you attacked from China all your attacks that turn would have to be from China or any county that you conquored that turn from China.
Lieutenant Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Megatron on Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:54 am

From what I remember, I think there were 2 different versions of Risk rules, a UK version and a US version, and i think i remember liking the UK rules more. I'll have to dig up my old box of Risk.
Lieutenant Megatron

Postby hitandrun on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:37 am

Here is some good info on Risk rules:
http://www.kent.ac.uk/IMS/personal/odl/riskfaq.htm
Just in case anyone wants it :wink:
Corporal hitandrun

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Well, with my real life friends, I usually play:

- mission cards (although I dont like them, but they make the game shorter)
- random spread, but you deploy the armies
- cards: escalating per player (each player first set is 4, 2nd is 6, etc)
- defense use 3 dice, argh!
- when you take a country, even if you have 50 armies in the attacking country, you only advance 2 more, if you used 3 dice. This makes the game very slow, because normally you wont attack again from your new territory.
- we usually have unlimited fortifications, but a single army cant cross more than one border.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Backglass on Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:53 pm

The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

I didnt know there were that many varients.

Postby Ninja Kid on Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Most of the ones on the bord ive never heard of. In real life I usually play:

World Domination
Escalating (same rate as in CC)
Adjacent Fort.

Is this common at all?
Corporal Ninja Kid

Postby hwhrhett on Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:03 pm

i think thats the one that most of us grew up with.. well me anyway..
Cook hwhrhett

Postby Gamera on Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:10 pm

My brother and I always played with how we thought war should really work out: 10 armies attacks 7, the attacker wins with 3 left. We really hated the dice and how they work; it always aggravated us when things go the way of absurd as they sometimes do.

The thing that's really most important about RISK is the same thing that's amazing about Monopoly: the people. There are an infinite number of permutations because of what people value differently, etc. Monopoly has RISK beat just because you have the aspect of money, which ALWAYS gets people going...
Captain Gamera

Postby aholland on Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:56 pm

Oh, and you're supposed to decide before attacking how many dice you are using and you must move in that amount of men as minimum when you take the new country. Also the defender must nominate how many dice to defend with. It would make CC incredibly tedious to play by those rules though :)
Sergeant aholland

Postby JerseyDevil on Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:39 am

As I remember from playing in the mid 60's, defender could also opt to roll only one die.
Cadet JerseyDevil

Postby Pedronicus on Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:15 am

JerseyDevil wrote:As I remember from playing in the mid 60's, defender could also opt to roll only one die.

Thats the same rules as we play - but this can only happen on this site when 2 things happen

1. Proper Real Time games are made.
2. Some sort of instant sound is required - to promt these defenders to throw 1 or 2 dice in games as re freshing the screen takes too long.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Return to Conquer Club Discussion