Conquer Club

Skimming

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Skimming

Postby Iron Butterfly on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 am

My first post here in these forums.

Ive played in several games where folks have noted such and such for "skimming". Now skimming can mean lots of things to different players. I myself have been accused of it from time to time. Usually it has been for silly crap that I misunderstood.

Sometimes players right a ton of text and say absolutely nothing.

Do players really take "skimming" into consideration at all? I feel its used more as an excuse to FOS someone just to make them look bad rather then being an actual tell of some sort.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Re: Skimming

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:14 am

Blatant skimming, such as missing claims and things are bad for town no matter what aligment you are.

If you are town - you are not paying attention enough to posts in the game to really scum hunt and you will be likely falling into mafias bandwagoning.

If you are scum - you just follow your scum mates.

Players that repeatedly skim or extreme skim should be dealt with.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby edocsil on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:49 am

MoB Deadly wrote:Blatant skimming, such as missing claims and things are bad for town no matter what aligment you are.

If you are town - you are not paying attention enough to posts in the game to really scum hunt and you will be likely falling into mafias bandwagoning.

If you are scum - you just follow your scum mates.

Players that repeatedly skim or extreme skim should be dealt with.

Scum are prone to skim because they do not consider that they should manipulate day as well as the night. That being said, good scum know better. Skimming is a hard one to make a case off of, but its is an effective tool against newer players.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby pancakemix on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 pm

Personally, I think skimming is one of the "little things" thrown out to get things going as far as case building is concerned. It's only really taken into account in the early days, and beyond that is really more of an "and this too" type thing.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby strike wolf on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:48 pm

My general rule is if it's the first incident of skimming or something that happened a while back I don't pay it much attention more than to just mention it. If it's consistent, recent and/or a major thought process of the game than I take it more seriously.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:33 pm

I don't usually take skimming too seriously unless it's a recurring thing for the player. Certainly, if it's a skim of a very important discussion or claim, then it's more noteworthy. By itself, I don't usually consider skimming enough to vote someone, but if you add stuff like Submarining and OMGUS and those other more minor scumslips, then a case could be made.
Captain safariguy5

Return to Mafia Discussions