Conquer Club

New Player Bias

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New Player Bias

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:49 am

Ok, I have been thinking about a few concepts.

As many know, there is a definite bias towards killing experienced players in the early nights. Also, it seems there is a bias towards lynching newer players in the early days.

Am I the only one who holds off on building a case against someone because I know they are good at arguing and thus will need more evidence to bring down?

Also, if both trends are true, does that mean that the two forces balance and offset each other?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: New Player Bias

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 am

Well I guess if you want a certain player dead you could either vote them out or if you're the vig or mafia just kill them in the night.

I think newer players get lynched early on because they are often the ones that make the biggest "scum slips" and don't know how to behave like town. I heard CC Mafia is different than on other sites, so maybe fitting in is a cultural thing and changes from site to site (being that this is the internet that is hard to imagine but it seems true). So n00bs don't know how to look townish and get lynched early. Also, experienced players know how to read players they have been playing with for a while and like to work with them through endgame.

And about veterans being killed in the early nights: mafia n00bs or other like to target the experienced players who know how to scumhunt to cripple the town to help them win easier. Take Rodion for example. He would get killed a lot because he knows how to scumhunt, and mafia fear him for that (although he's almost always mafia lol).

Also, saying something is a general trend does not make it fact. There may be some games where a veteran gets lynched D1 and a newbie gets killed N1 or so forth. And I really don't know if Rodion gets killed a lot. I being hypothetical. I just wanted to add this paragraph to say I find the query very motivating towards one specific answer. Not that it's a bad thing, I'm just saying.

-SG7 ( :) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 am

Oh wait I didn't even answer the question. Yeah I guess they would balance each other out because n00bs and veterans still have an equal chance of being endgamed.

And no, I don't usually build cases on people because I find it hard to bring people down in general. My evidence collecting and analyzing skills need improvement. I prefer adding factsto the game and let others do the accusing.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Practice makes perfect shield.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:26 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Practice makes perfect shield.

Yes, I find it easier to make perfect shields after practice. :lol:

Postby Iron Butterfly on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:04 pm

Cut off the head of a snake and the body will follow. Its just common sense to target the Vet, which is why protective roles are created. The first night anything can happen so you have to go on a game to game basis.

Im my first game I was a train wreck and got lynched. Its kind of funny to read. I think the common problem new players make is that they think because they are town everyone should know and beleive they are town.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby jgordon1111 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Edited another noob player's perception different than mine
Last edited by jgordon1111 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private jgordon1111

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm fairly new to mafia on here as well and I do not feel the way that you feel at all jgordon.

I think you're making broad generalizations that I just don't believe to be true.

When I played my first couple of games, I didn't make it far, but that was my own fault. And I see people sticking up for new people just as much as trying to lynch them. Maybe you've had a bad experience, but you can't just say that people are out to lynch noobs, because that's just not the truth at all. I'd rather keep the noobs around and manipulate them and kill of veterans if I can. (if I'm mafia) And if I'm town, I definitely just wouldn't someone lynched because they are new. And neither would anyone else. That's just ludicrous. Why would any vet do that if they were town?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby jgordon1111 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Ok chap thank you, maybe I am biased because of a few games.
Private jgordon1111

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 pm

This is a logic based game. You have to put emotions aside. So I don't usually target the people who rely on "gut feelings" because I've seen people just tunnel onto someone and insist on their lynch. Most of the time, that results in a town mislynch. So the rationale for targeting the vets is that they tend to use logic to build stronger cases.

Case in point: Rodion is pretty logical in his arguments so he's pretty liable to get killed early because he's really good at pushing a case or defending himself from one. So mafia know he's a good player and he is not a veteran if you compare his games played to some of the rest of us.

Also, I disagree with the idea that vets stick together. Nag and fir were often at odds early game. And if you look at POTC mafia, Fir was lynched day 1 (quite memorably too).
Captain safariguy5

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:05 pm

I would echo what saf says. You can't be emotional in the mafia games.

And you shouldn't let it spill outside of the game either. A mafia game is like Las Vegas. What happens there, stays there.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Return to Mafia Discussions