Conquer Club

Quicker games?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Quicker games?

Postby pmchugh on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:08 pm

I recently got quite annoyed with activity in one of my games cause 7/15 players hadn't posted in two days but looking around the other games this seems fairly common. In fact the game in question, power role draft mafia, is much quicker than a lot of other games especially for the first 15 pages or so.

First and main question, would people be interested in a regular game played at a quicker pace? For example, you could have a 7 player game with 72 96 hour days and 36 hour nights meaning it would last around 2 weeks. I could run these games at regular intervals, say every 3 weeks.

Second question, why don't people post at least once a day in every game? Most people play risk as well and you have to take your turns once a day so I don't really see the difference to be honest. I think if everyone did this then activity would be perfectly good enough for me.

-pmc
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Re: Quicker games?

Postby safariguy5 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:31 pm

My yardstick of measuring activity has usually been the 1 post for day average. I suppose the style now is to not have hard deadlines which prolong games. I have no problem with the old school style of 1 week day deadlines but it usually ends up in just lynching the submariners or no lynches.
Captain safariguy5

Postby edocsil on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:18 pm

pmchugh wrote:I recently got quite annoyed with activity in one of my games cause 7/15 players hadn't posted in two days but looking around the other games this seems fairly common. In fact the game in question, power role draft mafia, is much quicker than a lot of other games especially for the first 15 pages or so.

First and main question, would people be interested in a regular game played at a quicker pace? For example, you could have a 7 player game with 72 96 hour days and 36 hour nights meaning it would last around 2 weeks. I could run these games at regular intervals, say every 3 weeks.

Second question, why don't people post at least once a day in every game? Most people play risk as well and you have to take your turns once a day so I don't really see the difference to be honest. I think if everyone did this then activity would be perfectly good enough for me.

-pmc

I might drop my next pantheon to a week. I would be down for a fast game.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 pm

if you can host a lightning fast game, I'd be down for that

Click image to enlarge.

*rainbow dash approves

-SG7 ( 8-) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby pmchugh on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:19 am

I guess I could try it and see, it would sort of be a half way house between RT and non-rt.
Major pmchugh

Postby chapcrap on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:57 pm

I wouldn't mind them moving a little faster, but I think saf's point is right, if there are deadlines, sometimes it forces bad lynches upon the town. I'm ok with that, just make me scum! ;)
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Iron Butterfly on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:29 pm

I consider it a responsibility to be active..but thats my choice. I dont understand why people sighn up and think posting one or two sentences every two days helps the game. I would think that when people sighn on for a game they know what is required of them. Sighning up for a Mafia game in the middle of finals, a big move ect is silly.

So yes I would be for quicker games. That way if ya snooze you lose.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby pmchugh on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Iron Butterfly wrote:I consider it a responsibility to be active..but thats my choice. I dont understand why people sighn up and think posting one or two sentences every two days helps the game. I would think that when people sighn on for a game they know what is required of them. Sighning up for a Mafia game in the middle of finals, a big move ect is silly.

Haha I have my dissertation due on Friday, yet I think I am doing ok for activity :oops:

I don't mind if someone becomes busy and has to drop out, it happens to all of us what gets to me is people who repeatedly do this across many games. One post a day minimum and the game will go fine.
Major pmchugh

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:30 pm

pmchugh wrote:
Iron Butterfly wrote:I consider it a responsibility to be active..but thats my choice. I dont understand why people sighn up and think posting one or two sentences every two days helps the game. I would think that when people sighn on for a game they know what is required of them. Sighning up for a Mafia game in the middle of finals, a big move ect is silly.

Haha I have my dissertation due on Friday, yet I think I am doing ok for activity :oops:

I don't mind if someone becomes busy and has to drop out, it happens to all of us what gets to me is people who repeatedly do this across many games. One post a day minimum and the game will go fine.

I agree. One post per day is enough. Some people certainly post more than one a day, but I know everyone has different schedules.
Captain safariguy5

Postby MeDeFe on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:52 am

A 96-hour day is definitely too short. You need to take time-zones into account as well, if two people get into an argument and one of them only checks the fora once per day the day will be over before they get anywhere.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby pmchugh on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:53 am

MeDeFe wrote:A 96-hour day is definitely too short. You need to take time-zones into account as well, if two people get into an argument and one of them only checks the fora once per day the day will be over before they get anywhere.

The idea behind those games is that they are specifically aimed at sado's like me who can post several times a day easily. There would be restricted entry if unproven in activity. I was gauging if there were enough other people interested in this. It appears not.

The 1 ppd is for standard games.
Major pmchugh

Postby Some7hingCLEVER on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:57 pm

pmchugh wrote:I recently got quite annoyed with activity in one of my games cause 7/15 players hadn't posted in two days but looking around the other games this seems fairly common. In fact the game in question, power role draft mafia, is much quicker than a lot of other games especially for the first 15 pages or so.

-pmc

this sounds like a great idea! Lol I am constantly on (im a teen with no job) lol so fast games would be awesome!
Cadet Some7hingCLEVER

Return to Mafia Discussions