Conquer Club

Mafia and CC..What now.

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Mafia and CC..What now.

Postby Iron Butterfly on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:10 pm

One of the main reasons I am still at CC is mafia. sadly it seems its days are numbered unless we get folks involved. I would like to get a thread started on ideas to keep it going and to also see who is still active with mafia.

So with that said what can we as a community do? I think a good start is to get any older players or those who have played mafia here in the past into a data base or email list and send it out as input. I have loved playing mafia here at CC and remember like yesterday my first train wreck of a game.

I do not wish to go out with a wimper.

[url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=341][img]http://i1025
Captain Iron Butterfly

Re: Mafia and CC..What now.

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Iron Butterfly wrote:One of the main reasons I am still at CC is mafia. sadly it seems its days are numbered unless we get folks involved. I would like to get a thread started on ideas to keep it going and to also see who is still active with mafia.

So with that said what can we as a community do? I think a good start is to get any older players or those who have played mafia here in the past into a data base or email list and send it out as input. I have loved playing mafia here at CC and remember like yesterday my first train wreck of a game.

I do not wish to go out with a wimper.

I know from experience that getting old players to come back doesn't work. People who play mafia here come for the CC and mafia on the side. If mafia is your only interest, you would join a mafia site. We had a few hanger-ons (Edocsil) that were supported only because there were enough CC players to keep it viable. Focus on new players would be better, except the CC pool is dwindling. Something that might work is a Global Chat mafia game, but that is it.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Iron Butterfly on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:18 pm

All I know is this site. The fun part is knowing other peoples personalities.

[url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=341][img]http://i1025
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:27 pm

I have no personality.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:15 pm

CC has lost a ton of people over the last 4 years. The entire forum is dying, not just Mafia
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby betiko on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:35 am

i haven't played mafia in a year or so... what was the last one... the game of thrones one, that was a year ago. I kind of want to like the theme and the settings must sound original.
Oh and I'm probably not too happy because i sucked big time in the last 2-3 mafia games I was in.
Major betiko

Postby strike wolf on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:22 am

Thing is we try to attract new players but they usually dont stick around (we are kind of hard on them, maybe make the atmosphere a bit friendlier?) and we've trid to bring old players back but the ones who leave left because they dont have time to play. It is a difficult question that doesnt have an easy answer.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby rishaed on Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:00 pm

strike wolf wrote:Thing is we try to attract new players but they usually dont stick around (we are kind of hard on them, maybe make the atmosphere a bit friendlier?) and we've trid to bring old players back but the ones who leave left because they dont have time to play. It is a difficult question that doesnt have an easy answer.

The old players coming back has never seemed to work out... See Fircoals last attempted game that stalled....
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:19 pm

strike wolf wrote:Thing is we try to attract new players but they usually dont stick around (we are kind of hard on them, maybe make the atmosphere a bit friendlier?) and we've trid to bring old players back but the ones who leave left because they dont have time to play. It is a difficult question that doesnt have an easy answer.

The main forums on this site appear to be trolls getting confused as to why they are being trolled by other trolls trolled by more trolls. Its not exactly an inviting atmosphere.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:57 pm

rishaed wrote:

The old players coming back has never seemed to work out... See Fircoals last attempted game that stalled....

See his last 5 or so games you mean...
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby pancakemix on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 pm

I've been saying that we need to lighten up for years. I've been trying to set an example during that time and giving newer players the benefit of the doubt. Maybe part of the problem is the game itself isn't lent to being kind to newer players in such an environment, but we are very much to blame for creating such an environment. And things have only gotten worse. You might recall what (or who) my tipping point was...

I mean, usually I can get people to show up for a CYOC and some of them stick around. But I really have no interest, nor do I have the time.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby StorrZerg on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:49 am

Hi pcm still upset?
Major StorrZerg

Postby StorrZerg on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:26 am

Something that helps imo, mods need to step up harder with trying to create games imo.
I know my last game i hosted wasn't the smoothest (pyp) Yet Still managed to get to be a fairly large game 20ish. I know i can pull some outside people to play for mafia time to time (people that mtamb and i know).

I usually put them up a month before i planned to host it, and pm'd Every single person i could find that had played in a previous mafia game, as well as requesting clans that have mafia (gon/tnc that i know of) to join the game.

Having another official mafia game with a prize might help too. I tried getting something like this set up again, but got no where.
Also have the forum get more exposure is a good idea, few people time to time have tried working on the news letter.

Some of you guys trying to butter up how mafia is, saying its attitude towards new players isn't it imo. Not everyone will like this kind of game, the bigger issue as others have pointed out is the player base to pull from is smaller. I don't think this is that bad though. We have done new player games, with new players playing. If someone else wants to set up with these, encourage older players to coach. I set up something like this last time, but players didn't bother asking coaches questions, and coaches didn't really try to explain the game or mechanics.

Mafia is a game of emotions and deception. That is what it is A GAME. People will be upset, people will react. At the end of the day, you just have to realize that is what the game is, a game. And let shit go.

Secondly we don't have any repercussions for how people act in games, for people who rage quit, people who let themselves get replaced cause they got mafia / mod killed etc.
(part of this can be directed to me, i know pcm has had a problem with my play, i know mets has issues with how i hosted the past game) But in the end all they can do is just "not play with me" Which just means if people keep doing this for other reasons it makes it very hard to fill games. So i do care about this kind of stuff, and for example with hosting a large game i'm not going to try and do it solo, im going to be sure i have at least 1 or 2 co mods that can help out. Thats part of why i ran into issues, just running myself thing hosting.

As for PCM, im here to talk things out, i dont' hate him, and i do like playing with him. but thats his own deal to sort out with me.
Major StorrZerg

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:00 am

StorrZerg wrote:i know mets has issues with how i hosted the past game

Yes, but I think at the end of the day we mostly agreed on what the problems were, and they probably won't happen again. As you said, it's a game where emotions can run high, and the important thing is that most of the time there is no lasting damage.

I mean, I still can't stand playing with mtam, but whatever.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:15 am

StorrZerg wrote:Something that helps imo, mods need to step up harder with trying to create games imo.

I don't think mods need to get involved in the running of games, but something could be done to encourage the running of games.

Tournaments have been in the doldrums for a while, so the Tournament Department cooked up this promotion to encourage more people to run tournaments. It had quite an impact, and quite a few new tournaments were posted. Quite a few were posted during the Passport Challenge at the end of the year, too, when posting a tournament was needed for a Passport stamp.

Perhaps the Community Department could do something similar.

Of course, the effect of such promotions wears off after a while, but it does help to get you over a dry spell.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:31 am

Dukasaur wrote:
StorrZerg wrote:Something that helps imo, mods need to step up harder with trying to create games imo.

I don't think mods need to get involved in the running of games, but something could be done to encourage the running of games.

Tournaments have been in the doldrums for a while, so the Tournament Department cooked up this promotion to encourage more people to run tournaments. It had quite an impact, and quite a few new tournaments were posted. Quite a few were posted during the Passport Challenge at the end of the year, too, when posting a tournament was needed for a Passport stamp.

Of course, the effect of such promotions wears off after a while, but it does help to get you over a dry spell.

I'll give one year's worth of premium to the next person that starts and fills a mafia game.

Postby StorrZerg on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:28 pm

5 person vengeful mafia, who wants to sign up
Major StorrZerg

Postby Metalmarsh89 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:59 pm

If you guys are looking for a place to mafia, this is where I play.

The Syndicate

It's a dedicated mafia site. We run a lot of pretty elaborate themed games. We're also a pretty small community, but always open to newcomers.

I used to play CC, but don't really anymore. I just popped in to see what was going on. I never realized there was a mafia community here.
Cook Metalmarsh89

Postby StorrZerg on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:53 pm

play some games here
Major StorrZerg

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I'll give one year's worth of premium to the next person that starts and fills a mafia game.

Can I use it as a prize in said game?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby StorrZerg on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:25 pm

do it do it (i don't think mets would have an issue with it)
Major StorrZerg

Postby Metsfanmax on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:15 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Can I use it as a prize in said game?

Yes.

Postby StorrZerg on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:29 pm

bigger game plz, I'll try and pull tnc and some GoN members into the game.
Major StorrZerg

Postby demonfork on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:30 pm

I be down fo that if I knew whut it be
Captain demonfork

Postby betiko on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:34 pm

ok you guys are kind of making me feel like playing again..

if storr is tnc he sure could pull a lot of players from there too and i lokve playing with the tnc guys.
regarding newcommers ->if they can't handle it, too bad for them. you are supposed to be harsh to everybody. you can't go light on anyone or something might slip... and I always play bad cop.
Major betiko

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions