Conquer Club

Mafia Forum Ideas

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Mafia Forum Ideas

Postby Epitaph1 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:46 pm

WELCOME EVERYONE

In the spirit of creating a more welcoming and enjoyable mafia forum, this thread is now a bulletin board for any ideas anyone has to improve the CC mafia experience. IronButterfly began a discussion a few months ago about the state of CC Mafia. There we heard a lot of desire to enhance (or some might say "revive") the experience in our forum along with a number of ideas that may be worth pursing. This thread will attempt to organize and monitor those ideas. I'll try to post all reasonable ideas in the OP and keep everyone posted with any progress. Please feel free to list and discuss any new ideas here or you can send me a PM if you prefer.

I'll try to keep this updated on a regular basis.

(This initial list is taken partly from IB's thread, partly from conversations I've had with other players, and partly just brainstorming).

IDEAS

Have ongoing games for new players. - IMPLEMENTING

Have smaller games designed to introduce new players to mafia. Open or closed setup such as C9 or Matrix games. Include some veterans to show everyone the ropes. Kind of like a mafia Society of Cooks.

Implement a punishment thread or have a system for curbing bad behavior

We'll probably need a separate discussion about the best way to do this.

Have a competitive ladder or designate certain games competitive or casual. Alternatively, start a mafia league

We could implement a running scoreboard that tracks all the games with possibly as much detail as how many times each player has been certain roles.

Mafia medals for winning games, moderating, and general contributions. - PROPOSED

People discussed this in IB's thread. I think it's being considered or designed right now.

Monthly Official games - ONGOING

Yearly awards
Most improved
Most wins, most as town, most as scum, etc.
Best single game performance
Best townie
Best scumbag
Best 3p
Others?

More Sandbox-ish type games

Crazy, zany, ridiculous games with unusual roles meant to be more light-hearted. Probably No Vanilla games (games where everyone has an ability). See TFO's suggestion and discussion here.

Have regularly scheduled live chat mafia games IMPLEMENTING

Turn this into a mafia league?
StorrZerg wrote:i find no joy in this
Major Epitaph1

Re: Mafia Forum Ideas

Postby Streaker on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:21 am

Nice work.

All I got to add is that I'm always looking for 'fresh blood' to join mafia community, which is actually hard work. The one thing that bothers me is the personal attacks that happen sometimes. They really kill the fun-level of games. Not naming anyone here, and I know emotions can run high in these games, but they are still games. I feel that personal attacks should be outlawed/punishable.
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby aage on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 am

I vote against wall of shaming, it's even worse than bad behaviour. Defining the fine line between a personal insult and a game-related observation is just too hard.
Other two suggestions are great though.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby Epitaph1 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:51 am

Codifying a set of rules with associated punishments will be one of the hardest endeavors to be sure. It would have to be a collaborative effort so that we get as close to a consensus as possible.

I suppose as it is now a mod doesn't have to let any particular player in his/her game if the mod thinks that person would be bad for the game.

---

Also, I think it's worthwhile to peruse some other mafia sites for ideas. Team Liquid, a StarCraft fan site, has a ban thread but I'm not sure how effective it is.
Major Epitaph1

Postby Streaker on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:08 am

Epitaph1 wrote:Codifying a set of rules with associated punishments will be one of the hardest endeavors to be sure. It would have to be a collaborative effort so that we get as close to a consensus as possible.

I suppose as it is now a mod doesn't have to let any particular player in his/her game if the mod thinks that person would be bad for the game.

---

Also, I think it's worthwhile to peruse some other mafia sites for ideas. Team Liquid, a StarCraft fan site, has a ban thread but I'm not sure how effective it is.

From what I have seen here, there is not a single person I'd keep from playing my game. However, put 2 together and fireworks are bound to happen. We just need to loosen up lol
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby dakky21 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 am

I already designed a medal ... though I missed the exact resolution... anyway, what you think if there was a medal design contest ?

If we can ask wham or blake to host a graphics contest maybe we can get the medals sooner than we think?
Captain dakky21

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:08 am

Epitaph1 wrote:
Have ongoing games for new players.

I think a few of us are trying to keep a smaller game ongoing always for this reason. Dont know if you would want someone to prod potential hosts if there is a gap without any small games open.

Scoreboard of wins sounds difficult to record. However, a thread recording a summary of games might work. Players, their role, time and circumstance of death, game result.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby Epitaph1 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:35 am

In the TNC forum, we have a thread that keeps a list of upcoming moderators and themes (if they already have one). Perhaps we could do the same with new player games? It's not hard to keep up. We could maybe put it in the upcoming games thread and start by taking volunteers to moderate on a regular basis. If you volunteer and can't host when your turn is up, you could either pass or just go to the back of the line.

When MoB was active in TNC, he created a scoreboard and it was pretty interesting. He went back and looked at all the past games. . .which would probably be much harder here than in our clan forum. If we want to keep track of stats and such, it would be much more manageable to just start with either the current games or pick a point in the future (January 1, 2016?) to start keeping track.

@dakky. Love the design. I'm sure we can fast track a medal design contest since blake seemed interested in IB's thread. Do you think it would be better hosted in the mafia forum or put it in another forum where we might attract more graphic artists (and potential expose more people to mafia?)
Major Epitaph1

Postby dakky21 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:52 am

Epitaph1 wrote:@dakky. Love the design. I'm sure we can fast track a medal design contest since blake seemed interested in IB's thread. Do you think it would be better hosted in the mafia forum or put it in another forum where we might attract more graphic artists (and potential expose more people to mafia?)

If we're going to make a contest, it must be properly advertised in the Announcements and have a set of prizes (example, 1st place GA + 1200 credits, 2nd GA+600, 3rd only GA) to attract people to draw. And when you have people drawing, I am sure some of them will try mafia itself afterwards. The forum hosting the event is pretty much irrelevant if it is an Official CC Contest. Last official drawing contest was held by sempai in Aug 2014 - see it here - https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4541308#p4541308 and it went really well.
Captain dakky21

Postby StorrZerg on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:35 am

Rules suggestions

Simply voting and posting.

Can't have a game if you have a few people abstain from voting. No vote is at least forcing a stance.

Posting. I get it, people can't come on everyday and say something. But when you have a day phase last a week and you have 2 posts, how does that help anything.

Proposal, mods make it mandatory to have voting in their game. (If lynch hits majority before you vote that's fine, but if mod sets a dead line and you don't vote regardless of your alignment you are hurting the progression of the game) I've mod killed and replaced people for not voting.

Posting, mods should have a requirement. Additionally players need to understand the minimum is such, set the bar higher for yourself, and understand that like risk, you should probably be making an effort to post daily.
Major StorrZerg

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:43 am

A guide to the various gameplay stages of Mafia?

D1 - Jokevoting
D1 - Accusation stage
D1 - final lynch

Night actions/who to target

Day play General/how to make reads

Day play Mass Claim point

Lylo/Mylo

Include the fact it is a team game.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Return to Mafia Discussions