Conquer Club

Another idea... mafia dubs?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Another idea... mafia dubs?

Postby dakky21 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm trying to stick to the idea that day & night talk can be really fun, and therefore trying to think of the setup where that can be possible, like already suggested Matrix Movie mafia.

The idea is that only teams can day & night talk between each other.
There could be 3rd parties also and mixed teams ie. town+mafia.
Only team win would count (the last surviving member wins for the whole team).
Mafia could kill mafia.
Mafia from one team can't talk with mafia from another team.

First idea: Mafia Dubs Shootout
Don Vito Corleone & Michael Corleone
vs.
Carmine Falcone & Al Capone
vs.
Tony Soprano & Nino Brown
vs.
Tommy DeVito & Santino 'Sonny' Corleone
vs.
Vincent Mancini & Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri

All are mafia, but you can talk only with your teammate anytime.
All teams have one NK per night, and regular lynch per day.
If two gangs target the same mafioso on NK, Shootout happens, but no one dies.
There could be additional roles like mafia doctor, godfather, ninja etc.

What you think about the concept, could this work since Matrix probably wouldn't?
Captain dakky21

Re: Another idea... mafia dubs?

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Give this a read. http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=1869

I like your concept, and you can mix it up by making the pairings different role types. Some might have one strong role with a weak role, the others might be more balanced.

Daychat as normal will be interesting as teams may well join up to lynch out a certain pairing, especially if one team has a Ascetic and Goon pairing.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby aage on Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:21 pm

I considered running a setup of several teams of 3 mafia, with none of the players knowing that there were only mafia. In hindsight it's a bad idea though, because the second someone figures it out you're a bastard mod and everyone quits. :P
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby dakky21 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:59 pm

But if it is an open setup, you're not a bastard mod and no one will quit? :) You know what you apply for ? :)
Captain dakky21

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:01 pm

aage wrote:I considered running a setup of several teams of 3 mafia, with none of the players knowing that there were only mafia. In hindsight it's a bad idea though, because the second someone figures it out you're a bastard mod and everyone quits. :P

Rish didnt actually me and Streaker that we were mafia, it was assumed but not known.... and then someone kept killing town....
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby strike wolf on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:00 am

I had an idea for night and day mafia (Not the first one to think of a similar concept) where there would be two groups of town (One that discussed/lynched during the day and sent in actions at night and one that discussed/lynched during the night and sent in actions during the day) and two groups of mafia (One that sent in actions during the night and one that sent in actions during the day) where the mafia worked together but only knew who the members in their group were but the complexity and size needs for that game to be balanced have made me table the idea for quite a while. Minimally it would need at least 14 players in a dual C9 set up to work and in actuality, I think 18 is a better minimum as extra power might need to be given to the mafia to balance out for them not all knowing each other.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby strike wolf on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:05 am

I still think it's a really cool concept but it would take some effort to make it work and I haven't ironed out the details (would team 2 be able to send in their actions during the first action phase? Or make them wait until after they've had a discussion period of their own? Should one team be able to use their actions on the other team? Or should actions only be used on the same team? If actions are allowed on the other team, how do I balance that vs. if they aren't? etc.)
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby Epitaph1 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:39 pm

This will take some serious tinkering to work. It's almost like a different kind of game based on mafia. Or the shortest game of mafia without a jester ever.

The biggest problem I see is that you'd have potentially 5 NKs right off the bat, drastically reducing the number of players from the get go. It would be more luck than anything for a team to make it until the end. Could be kind of fun and reminds me of a game we play in the TNC forum called Ready Aim Fire. In that game you don't really talk much during the "day" phase, but each night you can choose to either: 1) Kill a person, 2) Dodge, or 3) do nothing. The first action is self-explanatory, the second action would kill anyone who attempts to kill you. If no one tries to kill you, you kill yourself. And the third is also self explanatory. So it becomes a guessing game about whether or not you would be targeted at night.

You might give each team only 1 NK or something like that to avoid killing everyone in the first 2 days. You might see more negotiations between the teams during the day and teams strategically saving/using their NKs.
StorrZerg wrote:i find no joy in this
Major Epitaph1

Postby dakky21 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:04 pm

TBH I was hoping to play in one of those. It doesn't matter if it ends in 2 days.
I'd leave a possibility that dead can talk with the living team members.
Just translate the CC freestyle+team game into the mafia world and you've got yourself a game.
Captain dakky21

Return to Mafia Discussions