Conquer Club

Categorize games by 'type'

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Categorize games by 'type'

Postby Streaker on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:49 am

When modding a game, we should enforce a certain 'category' to the games.

[OFFICIAL] is already in use, maybe we can add [STANDARD] and [EXPERIMENTAL] and [BEGINNER] to that list.
This follows the discussion about mafia games not being mafia enough. Could be expanded with maybe a level of difficulty.
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Re: Categorize games by 'type'

Postby Streaker on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:50 am

Ok so here is what we will do. A new policy will be introduced where every mod has to start a new game title with a 'classification' between [].

The Classifications (still open for discussion):

-Beginner (Mod has the right to deny experienced players into his game, on mod discretion)
-Intermediate (All players are welcome here)
-Competitive (Mod has the right to deny inexperienced players into his game, on mod discretion)
-Official (All players welcome here)
-Experimental (Mod has the right to deny inexperienced players into his game, on mod discretion)

This system has benefits for everyone, that (in my opinion) outwheigh the consequences of having newer players denied access into more difficult games.

-Experienced players get to have higher level games (competitive)
-Beginners can compete at their own level (no stress about messing up for others)
-Everyone can play the games with prizes (exception to be made for players with 0 games here on CC mafia, force them to play at least 1 game at beginner level?)
-There is a meeting ground at 'Intermediate' where everyone can play
-Players know what they are signing up for, as all games that are not balance-guaranteed get labeled 'experimental'.

Please discuss

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby Epitaph1 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:39 am

I like the idea, so long as we try to have games of all categories (except for maybe experimental) going at all times.
StorrZerg wrote:i find no joy in this
Major Epitaph1

Postby Marashu on Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:06 pm

It sounds like a good idea. Not really a fan of requiring 1 played game for an official game, but besides that I like what you've proposed.
Captain Marashu

Postby dakky21 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:32 pm

I like the idea, but for official games everyone should be able to get in, just like Mars said.
Captain dakky21

Postby rishaed on Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:27 am

dakky21 wrote:I like the idea, but for official games everyone should be able to get in, just like Mars said.

Its a decent Idea, but as someone who often runs experimental Setups, the main issue i have is not the players in general, but rather the amount of people who can sign up. For some games its hard to even make 15 players (see last one), if we could reliably get 20-30 active mafia players on the site it would work better. 30+ Would be ideal, so that the same people do not have to sign up for the same games at the same time. Even for some of the 9player Beginner games some of the more experienced players have signed up. This is the main issue i see with this suggestion at this time.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby Streaker on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:03 am

dakky21 wrote:I like the idea, but for official games everyone should be able to get in, just like Mars said.

Point taken.

Mods that want to host new games should take into consideration current open games (taking signups or ongoing), to ensure a balance of all type of games.

If there are 2 'beginner', and and 'official' game going on, it should not be allowed to create another 'beginner' as an example. Common sense among mods should prevail here, and attempt to start an 'intermediate' game for instance.

I heard Epi say something about a waiting list for mods in TNC forums, maybe we can make a 'dibs' system in callouts. First come, first serve.

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby Epitaph1 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:49 am

Yeah, there are only so many people to go around, so we don't want too much of the same type of game going at once.

However, I think the point of doing a system like this is to have something for everyone and hopefully draw and retain more players in the forum. If there is a greater demand for a certain type of game, we can get more going at once.
Major Epitaph1

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:39 am

Maybe we should set up a Google doc of future planned games and the intended start dates so that all mods have a sense of when is a good time to insert their own game.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:55 am

Metsfanmax wrote:Maybe we should set up a Google doc of future planned games and the intended start dates so that all mods have a sense of when is a good time to insert their own game.

Please no. I agree with the sentiment, but there must be a way of organising it in this forum. Is there no way of getting a few people admin rights in these forum such that there are multiple people who could share the burden of keeping a schedule up to date in the forum?
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby dakky21 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:18 am

Me and Epi of the active players have mod rights here, I think we can keep track of schedules. Maybe even Streaker has "community" mod rights, not sure.
Captain dakky21

Postby Epitaph1 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:23 am

Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard. We could just use the upcoming games thread and update the OP.
Major Epitaph1

Postby dakky21 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:39 am

Epitaph1 wrote:Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard. We could just use the upcoming games thread and update the OP.

I agree, but I'll let you make a template in OP in Upcoming games. Just leave everything as is, make a header and enter currently upcoming games, then we will delete them as they start. Streaker can't mod here, I checked, but it shouldn't be too hard to elevate his permissions to the Community team.
Captain dakky21

Postby dakky21 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:34 pm

BTW... I think mafia games should be also organized by [JOIN NOW] [PLAYING] [ENDED] [TAKING PLAYERS] [RUNNING] etc. so thread names are simple to read, currently it's:

[OFFICIAL] (but running)
[BEGINNER] - but need one more (so it should be [BEGINNER] [TAKING PLAYERS] )
Pick your own Mystery Mafia Endgame:Whats your Function? (but without a tag, it could be ended as well)
CYOC! #4 [14/15-20] (taking players but without a tag, it is experimental)
Captain dakky21

Postby Streaker on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:53 am

dakky21 wrote:BTW... I think mafia games should be also organized by [JOIN NOW] [PLAYING] [ENDED] [TAKING PLAYERS] [RUNNING] etc. so thread names are simple to read, currently it's:

[OFFICIAL] (but running)
Pick your own Mystery Mafia Endgame:Whats your Function? (but without a tag, it could be ended as well)

Should work. Streamline the main page, I like it.

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby rishaed on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Streaker wrote:
dakky21 wrote:BTW... I think mafia games should be also organized by [JOIN NOW] [PLAYING] [ENDED] [TAKING PLAYERS] [RUNNING] etc. so thread names are simple to read, currently it's:

[OFFICIAL] (but running)

Should work. Streamline the main page, I like it.

It sounds good, but i'm probably not going to use it for 2 reasons.
Title Limit (This is the main one Inevitably i usually am either wanting to go over it, or am at it.)
and I like naming sense.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Postby dakky21 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:35 pm

We can setup a codes like...

[INT] for intermediate
[ADV] for advanced
[EXP] for experimental

etc....

[INT5] or [EXP9] to save on character number... but beginner games should be marked as [BEGINNER] and [OFFICIAL] as well... Other games can have short tags... ?
Captain dakky21

Postby rishaed on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:07 pm

dakky21 wrote:We can setup a codes like...

[INT] for intermediate
[ADV] for advanced
[EXP] for experimental

etc....

[INT5] or [EXP9] to save on character number... but beginner games should be marked as [BEGINNER] and [OFFICIAL] as well... Other games can have short tags... ?

Ok that helps a bit, but what are the numbers for? (Game size?) IF they are for game size then that poses a problem.

Postby Streaker on Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:26 am

Just use the short versions between brackets, no numbers, followed by whatever the mod wants. Usually name of the game, number of players, status of game. It takes away about 6 characters, but it gives a lot of information.

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby Epitaph1 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:37 pm

I don't think we need a system for listing the status of a game in the title. Usually if games are open for signups, they'll say so or say something like "9/??" and people know what it means. And by listing the number of living players can give people a decent idea of how close a game is to wrapping up.
Major Epitaph1

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:50 pm

By status I think Streaker means D1, N1, D2, N2 etc.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby Streaker on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:57 am

Epitaph1 wrote:I don't think we need a system for listing the status of a game in the title. Usually if games are open for signups, they'll say so or say something like "9/??" and people know what it means. And by listing the number of living players can give people a decent idea of how close a game is to wrapping up.

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:By status I think Streaker means D1, N1, D2, N2 etc.

However the mod feels like posting it, as long as you can make out what it is:

[EXP] Streaker's Streaking (9/12) D2 or
[INT] Title's gonna title (4/99) TAKING SIGNUPS

Let's just stick to enforcing the first part and leave the rest to the discretion of the mod. We will inform the mods if they need to adjust title, or do that ourselves.

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby dakky21 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:05 pm

Is EXP ... Expert or Experimental?
Captain dakky21

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:08 pm

dakky21 wrote:Is EXP ... Expert or Experimental?

I think it should be Experimental. Having Experimental in a thread title takes up too much space
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby dakky21 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:15 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
dakky21 wrote:Is EXP ... Expert or Experimental?

I think it should be Experimental. Having Experimental in a thread title takes up too much space

Then you can't have BEG for beginner, INT for intermediate. INT could then be INTernational lol.

I'd sort it this way:
BEG - beginner
INT - intermediate
EXP - expert

and then
XP- XPerimental

So you could have [BEG XP] if it's easy C9 with something experimental, or [EXP XP] if it is really complicated.

How about using just a first letter to narrow down the title even more...

B, I, E and eventually adding a suffix EXP for experimental. So [E-EXP] for expert experimental?

OR

Classify a difficulty based on a number, where 0 is the total beginner and 9 is the master expert.

So [9-EXP] for Expert Experimental or just [0] for a beginner game
Captain dakky21

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions