Conquer Club

Double life mafia idea

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Double life mafia idea

Postby dakky21 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:58 am

So after some thinking and discussing it with Wing, I didn't came to a perfect solution to my idea.

The main idea is to create a micro setup with only 5 people.
But, each of them would get 2 roles (alignments) instead of, normally, one.
The game would function like there are 10 players in it.
It would be randomly drafted from a pot of 7 town and 3 mafia (for example).

So the possible alignment combinations would be:
town/town
town/mafia
mafia/mafia

When you get lynched, you get to choose which role did die, and that is written in the scene.
No one knows if your other role is town or mafia aligned.
You continue to play as that other role.
You die when both your roles are killed.

Now, to spice things a bit:
- no separate mafia chat until your first role is killed - that means mafia do not get to know each other unless your only (surviving) role is mafia
- mafia night kill happens only if majority is reached - in the first phase of the game, only possible with some luck

Some examples:
I am Town Doctor and Mafia Godfather. I get lynched. I lynch the Town Doctor and continue as Mafia Godfather and thus gaining access to the Mafia chat.
I am Town Cop and Town Vigilante. I get lynched, I lynch the Cop and continue playing as Vigilante.
I am Mafia Godfather and Mafia goon. I get lynched, I lynch the goon and continue playing as Godfather, having access to Mafia chat all the time.

Me, Wing & Epi have mafia as one or both of our alignments. We send the PM to the Mod in the first phase of the game, and if 2/3 votes are the same, that person gets Night Killed and gets to choose which role did die. After 2 mafia players join the mafia chat, they will have the majority and can decide who to kill each night.

The numbers can be changed (maybe a 6 player setup, with 8 town 4 mafia, or a 7 player setup with 9 town 5 mafia etc.)

What you guys think, would this work?
Captain dakky21

Re: Double life mafia idea

Postby BuJaber on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:20 pm

I don't know, Mafia seems under-powered.
D1 nobody knows anything, so say Mafia gets lynched. Either because someone decides to keep their town role instead or because he/she had 2 mafia roles so one of them dies.
Now there's 2 mafia. They still don't know each other so they probably won't get the NK because both of them have to target the same person. Now they've lost a member, and town remains just as strong for D2.

Also consider this scenario in any game: Sole remaining mafia is someone who still has 2 lives. He tells everyone to lynch him so he can lynch his mafia role and wins with town because of his other role.

The concept of double life is very interesting, but it still needs a lot of work I think.
Major BuJaber

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:46 pm

Does everyone switch to mafia on their first death, or town? Thats where the strength is rather than normal.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby dakky21 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:47 pm

You are right, but that's why I opened this thread. I'm sure we can modify the setup to something playable.

There could be more pots (and more roles with same players) as well.
Imagine 5 town, 5 mafia, 5 3rd party, 5 nothing with only 5 players.
So you could get a setup like:
Player1 town/mafia/3rd/nothing
Player2 nothing/nothing/nothing/nothing
Player3 mafia/mafia/3rd/town
etc.

That would actually complicate it even more, but the mechanics stay the same.

FP'd by Wing
Captain dakky21

Postby dakky21 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:49 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:Does everyone switch to mafia on their first death, or town? Thats where the strength is rather than normal.

On your death, you switch to your other role. Wouldn't be fair if you switched to mafia on your first death. Everyone would know you're mafia then.

Only if you are mafia/mafia, you will switch to mafia.
Captain dakky21

Return to Mafia Discussions