Conquer Club

Labyrinth Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Labyrinth Map

Postby BadgerJelly on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:40 am

Have been thinking about making a Maze style map. This could be themed on D&D style or Minotaur legend.

To begin with players start in one of 8 starting positions and work their way through the maze in order to take control of the centre and win the game.

Many things could be added to this map like booby traps that half the numbers of someones stack. I think a basic goal of getting to the centre first could all lead to different strategies being played out. Do you go for broke down a short cut but end up with less reinforcements or take the longer way around where continents are high end in value.

I think it would be good for players to remain out of each others contact for the first few turns. Maybe have some borders that can be opened or closed too so other players get blocked off and have to back track.

Anyway I think there are endless options and angles to come at this one with. What y'all fink??

btw I can handle graphiccs but NOT xml ... havent a clue :?
Private BadgerJelly

Re: Labyrinth Map

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:05 am

First of, the xml can not handle what you want to achieve with booby traps and appearing blockages. First of, take a look at nattys Antarctica map for a look at how a map drawing players into an area can work. Why would any one play the game if all you do is fight neutrals. You can have killer neutrals for traps, degrading neutrals for other things. Think of a way to get the players involved with each other fighting. How can a team or large game work?

degradeing neutrals - fire pits etc
killer neutrals - booby traps etc
Use the maze wisely, but allow players to get at each other. Look at Dungeons of Draknor.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby BadgerJelly on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 am

koontz1973 wrote:First of, the xml can not handle what you want to achieve with booby traps and appearing blockages. First of, take a look at nattys Antarctica map for a look at how a map drawing players into an area can work. Why would any one play the game if all you do is fight neutrals. You can have killer neutrals for traps, degrading neutrals for other things. Think of a way to get the players involved with each other fighting. How can a team or large game work?

degradeing neutrals - fire pits etc
killer neutrals - booby traps etc
Use the maze wisely, but allow players to get at each other. Look at Dungeons of Draknor.

Well I was thinking that there are certain places where other players can block others. Its a race to the finish but you have to cross paths at some point.
With Neutrals almost everywhere its then up to the player to decide which route to take. Some will be slow with few reinforcements but safer and the riskier options would be to come into contact with opponent straight off.
I was thinking that the map could be divided into 3 or 4 sections and the closer you get to the end the more it bottlenecks.

When I said booby traps I was thinking of areas where your armies get reduced by being there. Basically this would mean that you would have to get enough armies together to get to the other side (If fortify was one space only too this would make misjudging the distance a pricey mistake if all your armies are reduced because you didnt make it past the booby trap zone.

You see what I am thinking? There will be a hundred other things you could do with this like a kind of assault course come maze.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby zimmah on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:00 pm

BadgerJelly wrote:Have been thinking about making a Maze style map. This could be themed on D&D style or Minotaur legend.

To begin with players start in one of 8 starting positions and work their way through the maze in order to take control of the centre and win the game.

Many things could be added to this map like booby traps that half the numbers of someones stack. I think a basic goal of getting to the centre first could all lead to different strategies being played out. Do you go for broke down a short cut but end up with less reinforcements or take the longer way around where continents are high end in value.

I think it would be good for players to remain out of each others contact for the first few turns. Maybe have some borders that can be opened or closed too so other players get blocked off and have to back track.

Anyway I think there are endless options and angles to come at this one with. What y'all fink??

btw I can handle graphiccs but NOT xml ... havent a clue :?

i can see that, since it's currently impossable to "booby traps that half the numbers of someones stack". and also "Maybe have some borders that can be opened or closed too so other players get blocked off and have to back track."
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:11 pm

this guy reminds me of me. at least the way i was back in 2007-2008. i dreamt all kinds of xml features and fantastic gameplay options. anywhere from triggers to random xmls. 4 years later i'm still waiting for all those xml suggestions i made.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby BadgerJelly on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:16 pm

DiM wrote:this guy reminds me of me. at least the way i was back in 2007-2008. i dreamt all kinds of xml features and fantastic gameplay options. anywhere from triggers to random xmls. 4 years later i'm still waiting for all those xml suggestions i made.

My fav idea is "overwatch". Where you can set ONE stack on overwatch instead of moving then if a player comes within 2-3 spaces then that stack can attack out of turn! :D

I bother Desau at LG quite often :)
Private BadgerJelly

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:34 pm

If you want to booby trap an area, you can set up a degrading neutral set at -10 (or any number). This will force players to think of there pathway. As for blocking a route, you could easily do this with a territ that auto deploys a huge number. Have that territ as a border between two player but unable to attack the opposing player.
So with 3 territs...
Territ 1 (red player) can attak territ 2
Territ 2 can only attack territ one (large auto deploy)
Territ 3 can attack territ 2.

This gives the players the option of using those extra troops but leaving the opening or using them to block it and forcing a player round a longer way. Balancing the neutrals here would be crucial in all traps/blocking of paths. Again, I say to look and Draknor to get a feel of 1 way paths. On a larger scale, it could work out really nicely.

DiM wrote:this guy reminds me of me. at least the way i was back in 2007-2008. i dreamt all kinds of xml features and fantastic gameplay options. anywhere from triggers to random xmls. 4 years later i'm still waiting for all those xml suggestions i made.

Lets hope they come sometime this year. We are due some sort of upgrade to the xml.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby zimmah on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:58 pm

i wish, then at least writing xml is a challenge and not something everyone and their mom can do. it's far too limited right now. :evil:
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby natty dread on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:52 pm

zimmah wrote:i wish, then at least writing xml is a challenge and not something everyone and their mom can do.

Well I got to be honest, that's the worst reason I've heard for wanting new xml features... :lol:

Writing XML should be easy, it should be something any mapmaker can do... that doesn't mean it should be deprived of new features though. Only that the features should be easy and intuitive to use.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:46 am

natty_dread wrote:
zimmah wrote:i wish, then at least writing xml is a challenge and not something everyone and their mom can do.

Well I got to be honest, that's the worst reason I've heard for wanting new xml features... :lol:

Writing XML should be easy, it should be something any mapmaker can do... that doesn't mean it should be deprived of new features though. Only that the features should be easy and intuitive to use.

How do I learn XML from scratch?? Is it that easy?
Private BadgerJelly

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:49 am

BadgerJelly wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

How do I learn XML from scratch?? Is it that easy?

You can always ask someone to do it for you ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:15 am

Yeah I have an offer of help but wouldnt hurt for me to learn if its that easy!

Question : Is it possible to place ANY number of neutral armies on a territory? (eg. start the game and one region has 3 neautral whilst another has 5)

Thinking for the Labyrinth map to have some areas flooded with 1 neutral and others with 3 or 5!
I am bringng the idea to life now. VERY rough sketch will be posted with outline of my ideas later today or tomorrow :D
Private BadgerJelly

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas