Conquer Club

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: MASSIVE map

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:10 am

OH DEAR!! :mrgreen:
I can do some SERIOUS map making now ... Prepare for influx of maps sometime 2012 from me!
Private BadgerJelly

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:23 am

BadgerJelly wrote:OH DEAR!! :mrgreen:
I can do some SERIOUS map making now ... Prepare for influx of maps sometime 2012 from me!

Can I suggest you try to get this one through the foundry. I am sure you will find the CC foundry far different from what you are used to but you will also find it is a place to learn.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby BadgerJelly on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:56 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
BadgerJelly wrote:OH DEAR!! :mrgreen:

Can I suggest you try to get this one through the foundry. I am sure you will find the CC foundry far different from what you are used to but you will also find it is a place to learn.

What one? I'm going through the foundry process I think I get it all now. Still lots to learn about the sort of customising I can do in game play but I'll get there.

Discussing one idea with someone who has offered to help ... busy at thhe moment though.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby natty dread on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:05 pm

I think koontz is trying to say you should first try to get one map through, before you start a load of maps. A lot of new mapmakers do the mistake of creating tons of map projects, then they all stall when they can't keep up with them.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:11 pm

natty_dread wrote:I think koontz is trying to say you should first try to get one map through, before you start a load of maps. A lot of new mapmakers do the mistake of creating tons of map projects, then they all stall when they can't keep up with them.

Correct, amazing how the work builds up and without knowing your RL, that also can play a factor in it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby BadgerJelly on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm not really a new map maker. I dont know it all by any means and graphically there are still new techniques and tricks I come across all the time.

I am making this series of maps for LG and can do so relatively quickly compared to here and will be using the same "graphic", "picture" whatvere you want to call it, for maps here.
Not really expressing myself well here :? Best way to put it is once I get one through here I will then take what I have learnt and apply it to the other maps that are part of the set.

Dont worry I have no intention of starting up several maps at once. I am going to play with one idea (Maze idea) and then use that to plan out my main project of a series of maps.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby Riskmaster101 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:14 pm

This is an extremely boring and flawed concept with no theme. As well as the fact that you (more or less) stole the idea. I don't think this map should move forward. If you want to make a map, I will re-iterate what natty said.
-Choose a theme
-Learn to graphic design
-Discover the concept on your own

Whether or not this is too big.. I'm not sure. But definitely make your own concept next time.

Cheers,
-Risk
Sitters: most active TOFU members.

Active Hours: 7am -> 9pm CST (GMT -6).
Major Riskmaster101

Postby BadgerJelly on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:45 am

Riskmaster101 wrote:This is an extremely boring and flawed concept with no theme. As well as the fact that you (more or less) stole the idea. I don't think this map should move forward. If you want to make a map, I will re-iterate what natty said.
-Choose a theme
-Learn to graphic design
-Discover the concept on your own

Whether or not this is too big.. I'm not sure. But definitely make your own concept next time.

Cheers,
-Risk

You obviously havent read beyond the first post have you ... :roll:
Private BadgerJelly

Postby Riskmaster101 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:13 am

I have but I still can't find a theme or interesting gameplay.. Besides the fast that the map has nothing new or innovative. Please continue if you feel, but I think you have too many half-made ideas going right now. Try picking 1 and following it through!
Cheers,
-Risk
Sitters: most active TOFU members.

Active Hours: 7am -> 9pm CST (GMT -6).
Major Riskmaster101

Postby BadgerJelly on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:22 pm

Riskmaster101 wrote:I have but I still can't find a theme or interesting gameplay.. Besides the fast that the map has nothing new or innovative. Please continue if you feel, but I think you have too many half-made ideas going right now. Try picking 1 and following it through!
Cheers,
-Risk

I was referring to "stole the idea". I am not pursuing this map because its too big to fit and even if it did the setting on CC dont fit it unfortunetely.

Maybe you dontn understand I am making maps here and on LG and the Polderand one will be adapted for each site but with the same lay image. I have lots of ideas and Polderand is something I was doing beforeI got here and the Labyrinth idea is something I can pursue and focus on when I have time.

I thinkIhave repeated thisseveral times already on different threads and I understand everyone may think I am startingout with too much. I had the same concerns at LG but manage to run several tournaments without problems. I know whe to hold back and stay focused on certain tasks and I am holding back now because I want things set straight in my mind (As much as they can be! :P ).

I will do a tactical analysis of my maps lay out and then tinker by adding features but I want the basic game play to be solid which is difficult with smaller maps.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 pm

I would say that this map is lacking a solid theme. When I look at this map, I see just a collection of territories without any rhyme or reason. And for that reason I think it fails to meet CC standards for maps. I'm going to move this to the recycling box in the next couple of days, but give you enough time to respond or alter the map to give it an interesting theme.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby BadgerJelly on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:04 am

Industrial Helix wrote:I would say that this map is lacking a solid theme. When I look at this map, I see just a collection of territories without any rhyme or reason. And for that reason I think it fails to meet CC standards for maps. I'm going to move this to the recycling box in the next couple of days, but give you enough time to respond or alter the map to give it an interesting theme.

Its too big for this site anyway. No point if you can only have so many players in the game.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:07 pm

This doesn't have a draft stamp so shouldn't it be moved to the melting pot?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas