Conquer Club

Computer [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is this a good idea?

Total votes : 0

UPDATE

Postby nascarfan38124 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:17 am

This is (in my opinion) close to the final image there are only a few minor changes left to be made

changes from last post: Classic map added yay :D ; fixed the lines to look better ; compleated tower ; switched blue and green cd because the blue cd is the same color of the mouse pad

My To-Do list for Computer
1 make either a printer or a router i am waiting for your votes (refer to post #21) votes will be counted on sunday July 9 but the results are subject to change if the votes change after the 9 but before the final is made
2 may at this time put in a background. i am thinking of a light yellow
3 wait for more riplies to help improve the map will probably wait until july the 16 where apon i might submit the map for review and will definently turn my main focus on the XML
3 new To-Do list to be made for XML creation

Thank You for all your help i couldn't have done it with out you
petebob wrote:You should drop out of school immediately--it's impinging on your game!
Lieutenant nascarfan38124

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:09 pm

Man, if the final image will look like this, then I really dislike this map. See those CD's! Did you make the map in Paint? Would already be of little interest conquer a "purple CD", or a "3 1/2 Floppy", but with these graphics, aaaaargh!

And this CD continent, how good it is, huh? The countries are not connected... What is that PC green thing? Arent all the continents a bit crowded, specially monitor, mouse and keyboard? Can you see numbers in that mouse? Wrist support is that black thing really?

So, my opinion is: or you do a professional work in the whole thing, or put other people to finish it, or simply forget about this.
Major Marvaddin

Postby nascarfan38124 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:06 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Man, if the final image will look like this, then I really dislike this map. See those CD's! Did you make the map in Paint? Would already be of little interest conquer a "purple CD", or a "3 1/2 Floppy", but with these graphics, aaaaargh!

And this CD continent, how good it is, huh? The countries are not connected... What is that PC green thing? Arent all the continents a bit crowded, specially monitor, mouse and keyboard? Can you see numbers in that mouse? Wrist support is that black thing really?

So, my opinion is: or you do a professional work in the whole thing, or put other people to finish it, or simply forget about this.

i ment that i am close to the design of where they would be i know the colors are horrorible and that i need to change them but i am waiting to see if people like the printer or the router as the last cont.

and about the cds it is because of the fact that they are seperated and that they have alot of boarders is why i made them a continent (also i needed more cont.) i thought it would be an instresting idea to make a continent that is just a few random countries scattered across the map

the "PC green thing" is supposed to be a logo of a not real company because i dont want to use dells logo or something

i havent tested the numbers the numbers in the mouse because i dont know what size they will be but my plan is that the numbers will be in the pad (left and right) buttons (also left and right) the mouse base labeled "Mouse" but the number for roller (i think) will be next to the name

and they should fit in the keyboard and monitor either in the country or it will be next to the name

yes the black thing is the wrist support i am trying to make the whole pic look better

and if you think the names are not exciting (like 3 1/2 floppy)help find ones that are (the only other i can think of is A drive but i was told that not everybody has an a drive or it is not label as so)
petebob wrote:You should drop out of school immediately--it's impinging on your game!

Postby nascarfan38124 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:36 pm

what im going for is a softer apperance kind of like CCU and i know i will need to add some suff for visual apperance to make it look better
any suggestions

Postby sully800 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:54 pm

I think its very confusing which countries can attack which on the keyboard especially. But it didn't look very good with all the red lines you had before.

The CD's help to connect the continents but I think they look extremely odd just floating around like they are. They ruin the appearance of the computer setup in my opinion. I think having wires connecting the different components would make more sense and look a lot better.

The label on Africa is almost impossible to see and the classic map is stretched pretty badly. It would look bettter if you changed it so the proportions are in ratio with the original.

As for the green PC label, why don't you make it a CC brand computer and make the label more stylized so it actually looks like a logo. Something like CCPC but in logo form, not straight font on a rectangular background.

Overall I think this is a decent idea but it currently is very unappealing. I understand you may not have a photoshop program or may not be good with graphic editing, but right now the appearance of the map is very unproffessional and unfinished loooking.

As for the printer/router, I think a combo printer/scanner/fax would work better because of the different parts, like the paper tray, paper, buttons, etc.

Also, to decrease the borders of the keyboard you can just take away one of the borders with the blue CD. It doesn't need to be attached to both, and that would easily bring the borders from 6 to 5.
Major sully800

Postby sully800 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:58 pm

Also, the crossing border from PC to base and from the purple CD to the keyboard is a bad idea I think. I would eliminate one of them to avoid confusion and clean up the appearance.

Also, the labels on the mouse do not look good. I understand the space is small but having to follow an arrow to find out what part matches what name is tedious during quick gameplay. And even with the labels seperated you aren't going to have much room for the numbers, especially for the roller. I don't know what to tell you here because you want the mouse to be proportional, but right now the countries are simply too small.
Major sully800

UPDATE

Postby nascarfan38124 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:35 pm

this pic has a background color some cd changes and the overall image has been softened

color i picked yellow because i havent used it yet but i can use any color any ideas?

the new cds are scanned images of cds i have they make the cds more realistic but i think it takes away from the carton like feel that i am shooting for like in CCU also the corners of the pic cover the background :(

the image is now lighter and the corners have been rounded more to make the image softer

i am still looking for ideas

IDEAS

Postby nascarfan38124 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:17 pm

i have been brainstorming and this is what i came up with

1 redo the mouse continent making it larger and eliminating the roller country

2 take away the crossing attack by eliminating the attack from f keys to purple cd OR changing it so you can attack all four OR even adding another county like a stack of floppys speaker or cd and adding leaving it as a nutral territory (no continent bonus)

3 work on the original cd format (not scanned image) to look better

4 depending on space i used make an Orange cd between the printer/router and monitor

5 put thicker borders around the continents especially in close places like the key board and mouse (and mabye printer/router)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:10 pm

Well lets see...

I've tried to hold off from posting to see which direction the idea goes...but

---Firstly, the idea is interesting. Such a computer idea has been tossed around before. That said though...

---The graphics mostly likely need a major overhaul (What prog are you using?). It doesn't look or feel like a map. It looks like a picture with random lines drawn all over it. Something to maybe experiment with would be simple perspective. Instead of having everything flat, try to make it look less like a blue print drawing and more like you are sitting at a computer desk.

---The lines connecting are all over place...and some of the countries are hideously small that you can't fit the name in or even army values that are needed to play it as a map...

Bottom line really is...look into working with perhaps a different graphics program, or looking into more features other than draw and brush. It needs a lot...of work.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:37 pm

In fact, if you want really work on it, maybe you should start again making the picture bigger. The monitor, for example, is too small... its almost same size of the keyboard... it should be bigger, while the mouse is in the right size, but its small for the names.... maybe the whole image should be bigger. And the cd's thing is a bad idea, I think. Maybe would be better an internal vision of the tower, with processor, modem, memories, mother board, etc. And cables, how about some?
Major Marvaddin

Postby nascarfan38124 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:53 pm

although i would love to make this map it is becoming too overwealming for me mainly because i will start to have no time to work on it and that i just dont know how to use my program (inkscape) to its fullest to make the map look real good also in the poll the majority of you dislike either the map or my interpretation/creation of the map

if some one would like to take over in the development you can PM me and i can send you my files on the map

thanks, everyone, for your help

Postby Evil Semp on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:58 pm

maybe the keys on the keyboard could all be seperate counties. A map all by itself.
Lieutenant Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby wacicha on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:08 pm

thay could work evil - sorry just saw this map I don't look that often but looking at my computer I don't see any CD's laying around. BUT I do see 2 speakers
Major wacicha

Postby nascarfan38124 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:10 pm

Evil Semp wrote:maybe the keys on the keyboard could all be seperate counties. A map all by itself.

that was my first idea and i posted it in the "map ideas" sticky

Postby Herakilla on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:39 pm

go with wireless its the tech of the furture and it better than disks
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:55 pm

narscarfan, inkskape is a very annoying program that i tried to use, but finally gave up. Try GIMP its much better.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby nascarfan38124 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:18 am

i will try but i cant work on it until next week because my pig is going to the fair and i have to be there

Postby Machiavelli on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:54 pm

^^^That's hilarious
Sergeant Machiavelli

Postby nascarfan38124 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:08 am

i might try to make it better but i cant until next week and i want to know if i change it to make it look better will some of these no people change their mind because the majority dont like the idea but i was just wondering if it is because of my poor picture
Poll wrote:Is this a good idea?
Yes
17% [ 8 ]
Needs a lot of work
20% [ 9 ]
Needs fine tuning
4% [ 2 ]
No
37% [ 17 ]
Too early to tell
20% [ 9 ]

Total Votes : 45

Postby Jota on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:28 am

I think the concept has merit, but it needs more time to ferment. I'd recommend putting it on the back burner for a while. Let it simmer for a few days or weeks, and see what sorts of ideas float to the top while you're busy doing other things.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby nascarfan38124 on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:45 pm

i will do what jota suggested and i will later cotinue to create the map

the main problem is that people dont like the map and they dont help me make it better

Andy i would to love to make it so it looks as if you are sitting at the computer but that would make the moniter huge and the keyboard more flat like so i cant fit the countries on the key board and the monitor will take up more than 75% of the map.

finnaly would people like it better if i made a keyboard map instead?

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:50 pm

Keyboard map? Argh!

The computer original idea is much better, try develop it.
Major Marvaddin

Postby nascarfan38124 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:14 pm

i have no real update right now i am just checking up and i need to post something to keep the topic higher in the order so i can get more views and hopefully more ideas

Postby Jdogg on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:09 pm

you should make the computer screen widescreen so you could have a bigger and more proportional picture on it
Private 1st Class Jdogg

Postby nascarfan38124 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:03 am

the wide screen is a good idea thanks ill do that

ps i will be going on vacation soon for a week so i will not be able to work on the map for awile

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas