Conquer Club

Star Trek inspired Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Star Trek inspired Map

Postby VicFontaine on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Guys, I don't know XML at all. I'm asking for serious-minded folks to help, preferably just one other player, two at the most, who have excellent XML experience.

Why? There is a serious lack of science-fiction inspired maps on CC, and I'd like to provide one. While I don't know XML, I know Star Trek completely (*nerd alert *nerd alert).

Who is willing to take my designs and ideas and write them into XML, tweaking as we go, to create a Trek inspired but not copied map, or, series of maps? Again, the goal is to use Trek concepts and ideas (okay), but not to lift them whole-sale (not okay, i.e., infringement).

Any takers?
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Re: Star Trek inspired Map

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:16 pm

I'd love to see more Sci-Fi themed maps. What you should probably do is do a quick-mock-up graphic of what you envision.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby natty dread on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Just forget about the XML. Forget about it totally and completely, only briefly remembering it's existence when you're not sure when some gameplay concept is feasible and you need to ask other people "is this possible with the XML"... other than that, just forget it, and start making your map image.

If you make it to final forge, there will be plenty of people who have nothing but free time and boredom and who can do your xml for you.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby jcarter1 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:34 am

as natty said - the xml really is not the problem here.. i will gladly help anyone with their XML parts^^
Major jcarter1
SoC Training Adviser

Postby VicFontaine on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks, guys! I don't use photobucket, etc., so I think my only option here is to design, by hand, what I have in mind, upload it to my desktop after scanning it, then figuring out a way to get it on here.

I'm not a tech guyā€”AT ALLā€”so not sure of my other options besides that. I'll get on it and post it back here if this is the right spot.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:56 pm

Yeah, draw something, scan it, upload it to a flickr or photobucket or imageshack account, and display it here, and maybe a cartographer will be inspired by your idea and want to help you make the map. :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:20 am

To any Trek fans out there:

I've completed the first draft of a map for this Trek idea. It's hand-drawn on graph paper, and needs to be scanned and uploaded.

I'll get to that soon.

If anyone is interested in helping design this map, please PM me your email and I'll email you the image FIRST, before it's posted here.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:24 pm

I certainly support this idea. I doubt I'll be any help with the map, since my graphic skills are terrible, but I will be here regularly checking up on you and offering suggestions...;)
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:46 pm

while i do like the star trek universe i'm pretty concerned that using different names to avoid copyright infringement will cause the map to lose all its flavour. and if you use just slightly changed names (like Pomulans and Qlingons) it will look really tacky. so instead of doing the star trek universe simply go for a sci fi inspired map.

i agree with you that there aren't enough sci fi maps around here. i'm making one myself right now (click my sig) but more sci fi maps would be great.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Thankfully, I don't think Star Trek can sue for infringement for use of a name like "holodeck." What the map has, to this point, is a ship-blueprint seen from above and a wormhole off the port side.

Star Trek technological jargon is used on the map, but no ship name is used that was actually on the show.

Any idea if this is a problem?
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:21 pm

if the ship blueprint is like this: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/uss-enterprise-space-cruiser-sheet-1.jpg then it is a problem.

i'm not sure about holodeck being copyrighted but honestly i've never seen this term used in other movies, just on star trek.

i think you should post your image and hope it attracts a map maker that's willing to do the graphics for it.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:52 pm

DiM wrote:if the ship blueprint is like this: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/uss-enterprise-space-cruiser-sheet-1.jpg then it is a problem.

i'm not sure about holodeck being copyrighted but honestly i've never seen this term used in other movies, just on star trek.

i think you should post your image and hope it attracts a map maker that's willing to do the graphics for it.

It's not like the NC 1701. It's an original design I got from my brain. :lol: It has nacelles, etc., like a Trek ship would, however. I think it's fine.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Gents:

I've got the 2nd draft of this epic map drawn up and fully detailed. I'm working on streamlining and organizing the bonus information right now.

I've gotten three hits on wanting the scanned .pdf to be emailed. If you want to be included on viewing it and offering a few suggestions, please let me know now. I may not be checking this thread until I'm ready to submit it for first glance to the foundry guys.

If submitted as it stands now, it would be the most epic and detailed map on CC.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Janomike on Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:25 am

Hi Vic!

The Star Trek map is an awesome idea, although i cant help you with xml i will be glad to provide suggestions!!!
Brigadier Janomike

Postby Dogma5150 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:58 pm

He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!
Cadet Dogma5150

Postby eternal242 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:37 am

Even though I am more of a TJ Hooker fan the idea sounds like it would be attractive to many people.
Sergeant 1st Class eternal242

Postby zimmah on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:52 am

VicFontaine wrote:Guys, I don't know XML at all. I'm asking for serious-minded folks to help, preferably just one other player, two at the most, who have excellent XML experience.

XML is no problem once you get a map down.

i'm always ready to help with that.

star trek sounds cool
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Johnny Dickshot on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:40 am

I don't think copyright is an issue, this is a "transformative" use of the creative elements of ST and AFAIK there is no CC-type ST game. That said, their lawyers have more money. So it's...er...a roll of the dice.

I hope this map happens.
Sergeant 1st Class Johnny Dickshot

Postby nfriend on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:21 am

A Star Trek map would be cool. but I have no idea what it would be... a map of the enterprise? with bonus' placed on engineering and the bridge? but which enterprise would it be? Or perhaps the battle scene from first contact against the borg cube? or deep space nine? or a map with like a klingon zone, a romulan zone, star fleet zone etc... There's quite a lot of scope. :-)
Lieutenant nfriend

Postby VicFontaine on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:25 am

The 1st draft is done. I have to tweak the starting positions, but I'm a couple weeks from posting it up for discussion. It's not the Enterprise; it's a ship I imagined and created. Bonuses are Main Engineering, the Bridge, the Mess Hall, Sick Bay, and various weapons arrays. There are other bonuses like weapons lockers, escape pods, etc. It's a very complex map, but not the biggest. I think Trafalgar is now the largest map (size, but not in terts).

Trek fans will know this map and it will make instant sense to most of them. To those unfamiliar with the Trek universe, it'll take some getting used to. It is an OBJECTIVE based map, and it will be hard, but possible, to win by domination rather than objective.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Flapcake on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:27 pm

I can see from your advatar that you are a true fan :lol:

But do any one remember the tv show Moonbase alpha ? from 1975-1979 tons of material for a gameplay :mrgreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbase_A ... pace:_1999)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:39 pm

VicFontaine wrote:The 1st draft is done. I have to tweak the starting positions, but I'm a couple weeks from posting it up for discussion. It's not the Enterprise; it's a ship I imagined and created. Bonuses are Main Engineering, the Bridge, the Mess Hall, Sick Bay, and various weapons arrays. There are other bonuses like weapons lockers, escape pods, etc. It's a very complex map, but not the biggest. I think Trafalgar is now the largest map (size, but not in terts).

Trek fans will know this map and it will make instant sense to most of them. To those unfamiliar with the Trek universe, it'll take some getting used to. It is an OBJECTIVE based map, and it will be hard, but possible, to win by domination rather than objective.

Go ahead and post what you have. This way you can start getting feedback and other ideas! ;)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby VicFontaine on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Will try to find someone to help me post it tomorrow.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby skido on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Go Vic!
Lieutenant skido

Postby idusmars on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 am

Eagerly awaiting this...
Lieutenant idusmars

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas