Conquer Club

Pillage Europe: Vikings

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Pillage Europe: Vikings

Postby ndrs on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Last summer I was planning a vikings map, and also talked about it with Commander9 who was interested in participating. But I didn't have much spare time and it never came further than that.
Now I'm thinking about picking it up again.

It covers a lot of ground, from Scandinavia to Andalusia, Volga to the Caspian Sea and Constantinople. Iceland, Greenland and Vinland (N. America). I'm possibly thinking Huge size here.
The focus would be on bombing and assault paths from viking villages in Scandinavia, lots of monastery (to be raided), and some kind of special feature for the Varangians in Constantinople.

I'd like to do it as historically accurate as possible, but would probably call it only semi-historical.

Thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Viking_Expansion.svg
Colonel ndrs

Re: Pillage Europe: Vikings

Postby ndrs on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:54 pm

I forgot to say that a good percentage of the playable territs in europe are bombable from the viking settlements, and there is also fortified villages on the main continent that autodeploys -- not unlike the stalingrad map overall.

Oh well, I guess I should start working on a draft to give you an idea. ;)
Colonel ndrs

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Holy crap! there were Vikings in Sicily?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby tokle on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Holy crap! there were Vikings in Sicily?

I wouldn't really call them Vikings, but of Scandinavian descent definitely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_con ... hern_Italy

This project sounds interesting. I'll be watching.
Major tokle

Postby benga on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:14 pm

I loved to play this scenario in Civilization, hope you make a fine map ;)
Sergeant benga

Postby ndrs on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Great, glad you liked the idea –– see you around in the Drafting Room. :)
Colonel ndrs

Postby Teflon Kris on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:19 pm

The Viking invasions of Britain have been attempted before, and some interesting maps - I think the mapmakers lost interest eventually though, or rl took over.

The only problem with the map linked to above is that it may be sen as 'yet another europe map'. If you can get away from that you are onto a winning idea. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby ndrs on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:07 am

Just wanted to let you know that I'm planning to start this project up again...

If anyone would like to collaborate on gameplay – let me know. :)
Colonel ndrs

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 am

DJ Teflon wrote:The Viking invasions of Britain have been attempted before, and some interesting maps - I think the mapmakers lost interest eventually though, or rl took over.

The only problem with the map linked to above is that it may be sen as 'yet another europe map'. If you can get away from that you are onto a winning idea. ;)

I don't really get the yet another America or yet another Europe or yet another WWII map stuff. There's going to be overlap or maps would probably stop at 20. As long as a concept is fresh and unique and well done I think it's a great idea. I think this would be a good idea if someone were to do it.
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby L M S on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:21 am

ndrs wrote:Just wanted to let you know that I'm planning to start this project up again...

If anyone would like to collaborate on gameplay – let me know. :)

I'll help you ndrs, if you want. ;)
“One of God's own prototypes.....never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
Sergeant 1st Class L M S
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:24 am

Normans, exactly. and Normans were Vikings originaly.

interesting theme, but as somebody mentioned here it realy needs original gameplay idea, so it will not be another Europe map (only from another time period).

there could be drakars on the routes between Scandinavia and rest of continent. from drakars you should only attack coast areas (sites of raids as Lindisfarena) which will kill any army per round or will be killer neutrals. and from these sites you can assault some towns or regions... just idea :)

have you any idea what with rest of Europe? I mean the Europe where were no Vikings? divide it to Kingdoms?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 am

You could do something more in the medieval style, like this map, adding Scandinavia and the coast of mainland europe:
Click image to enlarge.
Major tokle

Postby Flapcake on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 am

Oneyed wrote:

Let not have this figth again where the viking origanaly came from :lol: they came from scandinavia, thats was later on divided in to Denmark (yes 8-) ), Norway, and Sweeden
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby J_Indr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 am

Flapcake wrote:
Oneyed wrote:

Let not have this figth again where the viking origanaly came from :lol: they came from scandinavia, thats was later on divided in to Denmark (yes 8-) ), Norway, and Sweeden

Except that 'viking' is not a 'nation', but rather an 'occupation' like merchant, farmer, etc. So, 'viking' would be somebody coming form the north, and who sails the sea for raiding purposes. Strictly speaking, then, after the phase of raiding, the settled vikings are vikings no more.

I'd be much in favour of the 'raiding' concept and sticking only to the seas, coastal areas, and rivers that were somehow prominent in the viking raiding. And it would be amazing, to expand it across the Atlantic too ;-)
Corporal 1st Class J_Indr

Postby ndrs on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:51 am

J_Indr wrote:Except that 'viking' is not a 'nation', but rather an 'occupation' like merchant, farmer, etc. So, 'viking' would be somebody coming form the north, and who sails the sea for raiding purposes. Strictly speaking, then, after the phase of raiding, the settled vikings are vikings no more.

I'd be much in favour of the 'raiding' concept and sticking only to the seas, coastal areas, and rivers that were somehow prominent in the viking raiding. And it would be amazing, to expand it across the Atlantic too ;-)

All very valid points. A more accurate name for those who lived in Scandinavia at the time would be Norsemen, I suppose.
However, the gameplay is based on the seafaring of the Scandinavian people around year 900-hundred (+/- a few hundred years ;)), so the name "Vikings" fits pretty well.

The progress of this map is somewhat stalled as I'm working on two other maps, but basically, the gameplay is built on three "tribes"; Norwegians, Danes, and Swedes.
Each tribe has a homeland and a unique raiding/pillaging path (bombards), as well as a unique settling path (standard assault).

I guess you could call it quasi-historical. 8-)
Colonel ndrs

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas