Conquer Club

Learn english map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Learn english map

Postby dakky21 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:36 am

I got an idea when I saw the GRID map. Idea is simple. We got 81 territory consisting of single letters. Create a word to gain a bonus. Hold for example territories with letters "E, P, M, L, X, A, E", which form the word EXAMPLE, and you get a bonus of 5 extra troops. Holding that letters, you can also create a word "EXAM", but it does not count as you already hold longest possible word. So when someone attacks you, need to take care which letter should he take, and think if remaining letters can still give you bonus as the new (this time shorter) word forms up.

Gameplay is straight, each letter can attack all neighbouring letters in all 8 directions.

The list of possible english words to create with 81 random letters is really long, so we should go for "the most used ones", and we could create another topic where users will just write words they want on the map.

Sharing the same letter in two words should not be possible. So holding only one "E" in the example above, would not give you the bonus for the word.

I've created an image of the map, see it and tell me what you think about idea...

Click image to enlarge.

To clarify attacking gameplay: if you hold the letters: P,E,N,C,I,L , you get a bonus for word "PENCIL", and if someone attacks you and wants to take your bonus, he MUST take the letter "P", because from the remaining letters you can't form a word. If he takes the letter "E", you still have the word "CLIP". If he takes the letter "C," you still get shortest bonus word "PEN". So lot of thinking must be done to properly play the map.

one more edit: Holding letters P,E,N,C,I,L,T you will get only bonus for word CLIENT, because of alphabet order. However, if someone takes the T letter from you, game forms you PENCIL and you still get the 6 letter word bonus.
Captain dakky21

Re: Learn english map

Postby Flapcake on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Really great idea, both fun and difficult for everyone.

I do not know if the better you are in English if it gives some advantages, my English is not very good and nor how to spell different words, but then I have a google for help :D , but hey it's also an option, But what if you are dyslexic ? (I had to google that word)

You have the whole alphabet reprenseteret at the map so all words exist from the English dictionary that could surely be possible to keep as a bonus, (how many word exist in english?) how it should be encoded in XML, I have not the slightest idea about, but I am also no XML-eagle 8-)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby zimmah on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:37 pm

you do realise you'd have to write XML the size of a dictionary and then some to make this work, right? or at least any and all of the words you can possibly make with those letter combinations, which is basicly pretty much every word.

you'll have to think of something else, because i'm pretty sure you can't technically do it.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby natty dread on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:53 pm

zimmah wrote:you do realise you'd have to write XML the size of a dictionary and then some to make this work, right? or at least any and all of the words you can possibly make with those letter combinations, which is basicly pretty much every word.

you'll have to think of something else, because i'm pretty sure you can't technically do it.

I'm absolutely sure you can't technically do it.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:52 am

You could try a variation of this theme. Instead of every possible word, it could be a Word Search where you have certain identified (circled) words that are bonus zones, and the letters not falling in bonus zones, perhaps you get so many troops if you hold so many of them in total, or in a row, or maybe they are always neutral, etc.

In fact, something like my above idea could be kind of fun, cutesy, and kiddy, especially if you have the theme something like a children's book or worksheet, like some of the examples below.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas