Conquer Club

Cycle Player (mk2)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Cycle Player (mk2)

Postby mythius on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Initial Map : https://raw.github.com/mythius/Misc/mas ... player.png
inital XML : https://raw.github.com/mythius/Misc/mas ... player.xml

Idea:
The idea is of circular one-way systems made up of eight continents each with eight regions, coloured and sequenced as the players in the standard game. On the outer regions (region 8) of the continents is designed to create an express-way between the continents, creating the main ring, then there's the Continental Rings (of regions 1-7) with (region 8) forming inner one-way ring with a three-phase in the middle (regions 3,4&5) and Regions 1&2 are being bi-directional spurs off Region 3.

Gameplay:
I expect the game to be played by initially claiming a continent(s) and then there to be drifting of holdings around the main ring, trying not to concede at the rear and trying to gain at the front, eventually a player raises large enough to take over the main ring and flushes all the others out of the continental rings.

Graphics:
The graphics were made in SVG using Inkscape, they're clean and minimal, as well as the player colours for the contents I've taken the CC box background colour for the map back ground, it's designed to sit seamlessly in the CC web environment. There's a CC logo in the centre surrounded by a sun-bleached kind of bubble around it. Iin the top corners there's game-map info in a simple and concise form.
Captain mythius

Re: Cycle Player (mk2)

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Well, first things first...

I don't think you'll be able to do the map graphics with inkscape alone. It's a great tool if you use it in combination with another software, like GIMP, but on it's own it's a bit too lacking. I suggest getting GIMP and learning to use it. You can import .svg:s as paths in GIMP and fill or stroke the paths in GIMP with much more options than what inkscape gives.

Secondly, your map needs a theme. All I see currently is a few coloured circles fighting each other. Not very exciting... there are plenty of subjects for maps still unmade, just pick something that interests you and go with it. Choose a theme for the map, then build the gameplay & graphics around it.

Thirdly, your current gameplay is entirely symmetrical, which makes for crappy gameplay. Try to put some strategy in it. Your map will also need a legend that explains all the rules, and territory names on all the territories.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby mythius on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks Natty_Dread for your feed back.

I'm content with the styling I've done with Inkscape, all though the arrows are a little too uniform.

The map does have a theme, of reflection on the game, albeit an abstract one, and not the usual land-based map.

There are other perfectly symmetrical maps like 8-Thought. Of course, the cycling nature of this map, limits the way your empire may precede, I believe it could create interesting and unique strategies.

There's an minimal legend, which is in keeping with the style of the map.
Captain mythius

Postby natty dread on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:52 pm

mythius wrote:I'm content with the styling I've done with Inkscape, all though the arrows are a little too uniform.

Well, I'm not... and the current level of graphics are not going to meet the CC standards.

The map does have a theme, of reflection on the game, albeit an abstract one, and not the usual land-based map.

Whatever theme it has is way too vague to hold the concept together. If the map had superb gameplay or amazing graphics, the thematic weakness could maybe be overlooked, but with this... meh.

I mean, who wants to conquer some coloured balloons in a ring? You have to give people something concrete, something where they can feel like "yeah, I'm holding all of Asia! Come get me you bastards!" and stuff like that.

There are other perfectly symmetrical maps like 8-Thought. Of course, the cycling nature of this map, limits the way your empire may precede, I believe it could create interesting and unique strategies.

Those maps were made long ago, in the early days. Much more is known about mapmaking today and the standards are higher.

There's an minimal legend, which is in keeping with the style of the map.

Yeah, that's not going to cut it, sorry.

Anyway, you seem to have at least passable skills at graphics, so I'd suggest you seek out a real, concrete theme for a map, and put that skill to use. The way I see it, you have the will and capability to make a map, you're just lacking a good idea. If you can't think of anything, just stick around in the foundry for a while, follow some map threads and see how they proceed. You may get an idea or two in the process.

Postby mythius on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:11 pm

ok, it's a shame I was really looking forward to plying this map
Captain mythius

Postby natty dread on Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Well if you really just want to play this map, you could always take it to LandGrab. They have absolutely no standards, they let you make and upload any map and play it whenever you like.

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas