Conquer Club

Different world map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Different world map

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Here's this idea I've been playing with... I'm not sure if I'll ever go through with it, it's kind of silly...

Click image to enlarge.

It's a hex world map.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: Different world map

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Hm, it's certainly different, but truthfully, it's not all that appealing to me in gameplay or aesthetics. I've thought for a long time about a slightly-modified Classic - a few extra connections, maybe a couple more borders or rearrangement of territories. I wonder if perhaps you could go that route?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby zimmah on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:36 pm

natty_dread wrote:Here's this idea I've been playing with... I'm not sure if I'll ever go through with it, it's kind of silly...

Click image to enlarge.

It's a hex world map.

it's really open, i think it would work if you made a lot of mini-bonusses that may or may not share territories. (as in some, all, or none of the territories may be included in multiple continents)

i mean even the small continents have 4 borders here, which makes it quite different, but nice to have a new experience.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Guys, I probably won't even continue this idea, it was just something I've been thinking for a while now, and wanted to see how it'd look so made a quick sketch... but then I thought if maybe someone got interested in it and maybe wanted to run with it, or something, I don't know... so I posted it.

Postby The Bison King on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:42 pm

So it's like a world map... but instead of looking like a map... it's hexagons? why hexagons?
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Why hexagons you ask?

Hexagons are the perfect natural shape. A hexagonal grid is superior to a square grid in all conceivable ways. With a hexagonal grid, the distance between each adjacent hex is the same... whereas on a square one, if you allow diagonal movement, there's always a discrepancy in the distance of diagonal vs. orthogonal. Hexagons can thus be used more naturally to represent troop movement, without compensating for diagonal movements when calculating movement cost, which is why they are used in so many strategy games.

Hexagons are found everywhere in nature. Snowflakes, honey combs, aromatic molecules, Israeli flag... it's a beautiful geometric shape that resonates deeply with the human psyche.

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Hexagons are indeed classic regions/territories for many combat/war games.
show

Battle of Actium map I think was the first to employ hexagons, and then there is Kings Court (and Kings Court 2).

In any case, it would be nice to have a few more maps that employ the idea.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:09 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Battle of Actium map I think was the first to employ hexagons, and then there is Kings Court (and Kings Court 2).

In any case, it would be nice to have a few more maps that employ the idea.

And Hive, don't forget Hive.

Any case, I most likely won't be doing this map, Dim's already making a similar concept, although with a clearly inferior square grid design... It'd be great if someone could talk him in to adopting a hexagonal design for his map.

As for more hex maps... I will be making the Omega Cities map, whenever lack gets around to implementing that update that allows bonus schemes as complicated as the one on that map.

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas