Conquer Club

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:35 am

NOTHING TO SEE HERE!!

Doesnt fit the site so no point in bothering ...
Last edited by BadgerJelly on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private BadgerJelly

Re: MASSIVE map

Postby grifftron on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 am

This would be called stealing a map from landgrab.net and putting it on conquerclub...

Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby macbone on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:07 am

Badger, man, you're not being the best ambassador for Landgrab right now.
Colonel macbone

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:09 am

ITS MY MAP!!
Landgrab does NOT own it I do I spent hours drawing and Editing the damn thing. :D

Conquer Club Copyright Agreement

While many people contribute towards development of a map, it is the graphical artist who has recognised ownership of the map imagery, and must agree to the the following copyright agreement upon quenching:

The author retains copyright on their work, and gives Conquer Club permission to use the imagery free of charge, for as long as Conquer Club sees fit on the Conquer Club website. Conquer Club cannot sell, lease, or lend the right to use the images to anyone else. The author swears that their map is their own work, or a legal derivative work and by submitting it, do hereby claim all responsibility for that being true.
Last edited by BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:11 am

Thats McScrups map and a completely different one you've uploaded grifftron.

My map is TWICE the size of Endless Lands ... btw I aint an ambassador!??! I play games online end of. :lol:
Private BadgerJelly

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:20 am

Ok, first of all: CC has very different standards for maps than LG. There's a couple of things you need to know if you're going to evolve into a CC mapmaker:

- You can't just slap together an image with territories in some vague shape and call it a map. Your map needs to have a theme, it should be about something, like a geographical area, a historical battle, a city, a fantasy world, etc. You need something, an idea behind the map.

- You'll need a legend and territory names. All the map rules must be explained on the map image, and the territories must be labeled.

- When you figure out the theme for your map, what your map is about, you need to create the gameplay and graphics around that theme so that they all support each other as a consistent whole.

Good luck!
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:28 am

Ok thanks. That maps too big anyway!

I am working on some others ... maybe I'll throw them over here IF I have time. I make everything from scratch imagewise and will be working on a few maps soon that it will be easy to add territory names to.

And I dont think throwing terrs together makes a map. Themed or not themed, pretty or ugly if it doesnt play well its a waste of time.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:30 am

btw that map is AWESOME to play on! (McScrups Endless Lands) I guess you've tried it?
Private BadgerJelly

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:48 am

BadgerJelly wrote:Themed or not themed, pretty or ugly if it doesnt play well its a waste of time.

Of course. But on CC, we require that maps have all of those things. Your map needs to have a theme, good graphics and good gameplay.

There are ways to create large maps with a theme. Currently largest map on CC by territory count is the Hive. It's something like a bit over 300 territories if I remember correctly... I'm currently creating a map of Eurasia with around 130 territories, and another map about Wizards and such that has over 180.

Postby grifftron on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:28 am

Badger, the process of the CC foundry is totally opposite of LG, since LG doesn't have a foundry of course... LG allows you to upload any map that you made no matter how ugly it is and how confusing it is to test it out... CC does not allow you to do this.

In LG you don't need tert names on the map itself as maps have the option to turn on and off tert names. On CC you need the tert names to be clear on the map.

In LG you don't need a key on the map of bonuses as its included below off the map in the attack menu, on CC you have to put the key on your map

I am sure natty said that above and more.

Maybe you need to make a small map?
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby greenoaks on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:42 am

what does Hell freezing over have to do with a random assortment of colours ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:50 am

grifftron wrote:In LG you don't need tert names on the map itself as maps have the option to turn on and off tert names. On CC you need the tert names to be clear on the map.

In LG you don't need a key on the map of bonuses as its included below off the map in the attack menu, on CC you have to put the key on your map

imagine what great maps we could make if CC would adopt LG's interface and not force us to put terit names or legends. :roll:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby grifftron on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 am

Lol! Don't force me to link more beautiful LG maps DiM! :lol:
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:10 am

greenoaks wrote:what does Hell freezing over have to do with a random assortment of colours ?

Its not in the best detail because its actually too big for this site. 1600x1800 I think.

The white bits are Ice mountains and there is fire underneath ... like I've said though File Size limit on LG is only 300kb so I had to slash detail :(
Private BadgerJelly

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:26 am

McScrups map is probably the best I have ever played on!

True its not that pretty but its awesome game play. We have got nicer looking maps but thats not important to me too much although I will be making some smaller maps in the future with MUCH more detail.

Personally I think the maps on here look cluttered buts thats only because I am used to the maps on LG. Each to their own.

Oh and DiM one thing you can do on LG is come up with an idea for a map, MAKE the map and play it without having to wait for someones approval. On LG it is a HUGE pain in the ass sifting through all the shit maps to find the good ones but thats going to change soon anyway and I understand your worry of shit maps flooding the site here ... thats one thing that makes each site different and people like different things do you understand that? Or are you just going to slag off another site to me because I happened to be a member of it?? :lol:
Private BadgerJelly

Postby zimmah on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:24 am

DiM wrote:
grifftron wrote:In LG you don't need tert names on the map itself as maps have the option to turn on and off tert names. On CC you need the tert names to be clear on the map.

imagine what great maps we could make if CC would adopt LG's interface and not force us to put terit names or legends. :roll:

there's so much more that can be done to improve CC, having the legend seperate from the map, a more detailed log (they're working on that i believe), and a ton of xml updates to allow for better maps. (like conditional XML).
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby natty dread on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:27 am

zimmah wrote:having the legend seperate from the map

I think it's fine that the legend must be incorporated in the map, now that we don't have strict size limitations anymore. That way everything is in one place, you can browse the maps in the map browser and see how a map works by just looking at the map image.

zimmah wrote:a more detailed log

This would be great.

zimmah wrote:like conditional XML

Conditional borders would be great. That'd allow loads of wacky gameplay mechanics.

Postby zimmah on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:07 am

natty_dread wrote:
zimmah wrote:like conditional XML

Conditional borders would be great. That'd allow loads of wacky gameplay mechanics.

that would just be the tip of the iceberg, what about for example having a map with a dam and if you break it all the low ground territories and all the armies on it will just vanish? it would not be a win condition but at the same time it may eliminate some opponents. and that's just one example.

or what if you make a single map with say 4 or 5 slightly different layouts that either randomly load (combined with the proper XML that belongs to that specific layout) or have a set order (think draknor, maybe after a certain condition the map will load level 2, let's say on draknor assasin, player A eliminates his target, instead of instantly winning the game, the game goes to a level 2 state, player A gets an advantage but not too big, player B will not be able to play level 2 and beyond (he's dead) and the other players still have a chance of winning, altho player A should have some advantage for eliminating his target. level 2 could be also an assisins game (with new targets ofc.) but could also have a whole set of new rules).

that kind of things.

or even have the same map with different XML variations that randomly load so that you can have some 'mysteries' in your map that you need to explore each and every time you play the map (may increase randomness and ranting about unfair randomness)

and also conditional decay/autodeploy.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby BadgerJelly on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:19 am

That all sounds cool! Ii like the way you think ;)
Private BadgerJelly

Postby zimmah on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:14 pm

BadgerJelly wrote:That all sounds cool! Ii like the way you think ;)

ye too bad it's not possible with the current XML.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby BadgerJelly on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:31 pm

I wondered if you could tell me what IS possible?

Oe more to the point what are the things done on here that people are used to? A lot of the language on CC is similar to LG but its a bit confusing sometimes :?
Like whats auto build? It it a space on the board that always has X units on it or does it always add X units or am I way off the mark? :P
Private BadgerJelly

Postby zimmah on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:38 pm

i think you mean autodeploy, it basicly always adds X number of troops to that region if you hold it, at the start of the turn.

the troops will be added to that region, and can not be placed anywhere else, as opposed to a bonus which is free to be placed anywhere on the map, autodeploy can also be negative, which is usualy called decay, in that case it removes a specific number of armies from the region, until someone has 1 army left (it will not kill the last army). it's also possible to have 'killer neutrals' which will kill any and all armies on that region at the start of the turn of the player who owns it, no matter how many troops are on there, and it will reset to a neutral value (the same value it had at the start of the game). but if you take those armies down, like say you have a killer neutral of 20 armies and you attack it so it has 2 neutral armies then it will stay 2 neutrals (it will not reset to 20) but if you take it and then the next turn if you still have it, it will have 20 neutrals again.

if you look at the other maps that are currently in use you can get a good idea of what is possible and what is not.

- a single territory can be part of more then 1 continent
- a continent can have other continents as a requirement (for example north and south australia make whole australia)
- you can make a continent that requires you to hold a specific number of territories in a specific region, but not neccesarily all of the regions, for example hold any 3 territories inside south africa (out of 9) for a +1 bonus
- you can make 1 (or more) territories a requirement, while having other territories optional (like, hold a castle and at least 3 random regions to recieve a castle bonus, while just holding the castle, or just holding the region grants no bonus, or even a negative bonus)

etc.

btw as soon as you have a decent concept and map i am willing to write the xml for you or help you with it. i have done the xml on quite some maps and i am familiar with the possibilities and limitations.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby BadgerJelly on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 am

THANKS!! Thats brilliant :mrgreen:

I love the idea of auto deploy/decay and killer neutrals. I have hundreds of ideas for maps with these options!

Regarding Maze idea I can PICK where everyone starts off right?
Private BadgerJelly

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:56 am

BadgerJelly wrote:Regarding Maze idea I can PICK where everyone starts off right?

You can.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby zimmah on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:24 am

koontz1973 wrote:
BadgerJelly wrote:Regarding Maze idea I can PICK where everyone starts off right?

You can.

yes, you can define starting positions.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas