Conquer Club

London Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

London Map

Postby fighter1405 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 am

Mod Note: similar map developed --> viewtopic.php?f=241&t=152160

Hi this is the first map I have ever made so I would really appreciate your opinions. Anyways I was looking at all the current maps and realised no one had made one just of one city. With that in mind I decided to have a shot at making a London map. Here it is:
It has 33 'countries' and each one is a borough of london. I though that this would give it an accurate geographical twist. I'm fairly sure that all the boundries are accurate but if any one can see any errors then please do let me know.
Last edited by fighter1405 on Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private 1st Class fighter1405

Postby Fireside Poet on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:45 am

Knowing little about the landscape or London, I do recall in the 1800's a certain place called Whitechapel (?) -- where is that to be found? :)

Great start on the map, by the way.
Click this logo for more information on joining!
Major Fireside Poet

Postby fighter1405 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:00 am

Fireside Poet wrote:Knowing little about the landscape or London, I do recall in the 1800's a certain place called Whitechapel (?) -- where is that to be found? :)

Whitechapel is 1 mile east of the city of London and is famous because it was were Jack the Ripper operated. However it won't be on my map because it isn't a borough of London (Or at least I don't think it is)

Hope that helps
:)

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:16 am

Pretty good for a starting map. Like any map tho it needs improvement. It'll shut fluffybunnykins up for awhile tho
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby neildrill on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:19 am

First of all congrats on the map

Second nice to see my home of bexley on a map!

Third and my only criticism where are the impassable points gonna be? at the moment the centre of town is brodered on everyside and very difficult for one player to take.

Otherwise well done
Corporal 1st Class neildrill

Postby Phobia on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:25 am

hmm yes there should be a bridge from westminster to lambeth or something to connect central london.

also a few "countries" are a little too squashed espicially "city" because all the countries will need to fit the number of armies and the name.
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:29 am

the bridge should be in the east. central london can have a really huge bonus with the river (Thames?) blocking it.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:30 am

Bad designed continents, friend... They will need less borders.
Major Marvaddin

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:31 am

i agree, maybe this would be a map kind of like the Australia one in development, or Minnesota, where the continents are separated and there are bridges between them. that would minimize borders

Cadet happysadfun

Postby fighter1405 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:37 am

Ok I agree that there should be a bridge connecting central London and I will implement it ASAP. I also agree with the comment about central London having too many borders. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could use to make some borders impassable or do you think I should just up the bonus for central London.

Thanks for your comments
:D

Postby mightyal on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:37 am

You could use the inner ring road as a boundary for central london.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei
Captain mightyal

Location: Banging the hag whilst Owl is busy banging hendy's mum

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:41 am

fighter1405 wrote:... I also agree with the comment about central London having too many borders. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could use to make some borders impassable...
Thanks for your comments

I told you already.
I wrote:i agree, maybe this would be a map kind of like the Australia one in development, or Minnesota, where the continents are separated and there are bridges between them. that would minimize borders

just a suggestion :lol:

Cadet happysadfun

Postby kevinc on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:09 pm

Speaking of 1800s london. A historical map of london could be an interesing concept to think about.

What software areyou using, as always I advocate using a vector graphics application to avoid the harsh jaggy edges.
Corporal kevinc

The improvements

Postby fighter1405 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am now in a position to release my second version of the map. I have removed the Thames and seperated the different 'continents'. Here it is:

Yet again I would be grateful for any feedback

London Updated Version

Postby fighter1405 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks to everyone for ther feedback. This is the second version of my map. Yet again any feedback would be welcomed:

Thanks

SEE LONDON FIRST DRAUGHT FOR VERSION THREE
Last edited by fighter1405 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mightyal on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:27 pm

I think rev 2 looks horrible. It no longer looks like London IMO. I reckon using roads as barriers could be much better. Specifically, the inner ring road seperates central London from outer London; M1 West/North; M4 Hounslow/Richmond; M11 Redbridge/ Waltham Forest. The Thames seperates West from South. Bridges or underpasses could provide connections as required.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei
Captain mightyal

Postby mightyal on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:33 pm

See first draught for my suggestion/opinion.
- Galileo Galilei
Captain mightyal

Postby fighter1405 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:45 pm

I would agree with you. I myself was dissapointed with how version 2 turned out so I decided to try your idea. Here is a rough version of what version 3 should look like:

Obviously this is only rough and I will tidy it up.
I still have to make city bigger
Add a link accross the Thames to join up the city centre
and improve the solid borders and arrows
Last edited by fighter1405 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby onbekende on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:49 pm

More connections between continents
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby maritovw on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:51 pm

i assume you're gonna change that ugly arrows for something nicer... also, i would suggest adding more borders between the continents...
Sergeant 1st Class maritovw

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:11 pm

East London is not a good name for a continent. It's also a major port in South Africa. Actually separating them would be good. the L is not capitalized in one part of the key. Love the map tho.

Cadet happysadfun

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:12 pm

Good map. But u don't need a new thread for every update :D

Cadet happysadfun

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:35 pm

As for gameplay, I see that North London has a bonus of 2, while it has 3 borders to defend, and Central london has a bonus of 5, while it only has 2 borders to defend.
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby AndrewO on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:38 pm

This seems like just another old map to me. If I was to see a map of london i'd rather it was much more concentrated on central london, with maybe some landmarks or something to make it special.

It is a shame, as I was born in bexley and live in what must be the city, but I doubt I would play this map much even with such strong ties to it.
Lieutenant AndrewO

Postby sully800 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:08 pm

8 countries with 2 borders and 4 countries with 3 borders? The continents are still strange to say the least. I think you need more connections for the middle continent definitely and a few other ones as well. And yeah, don't start a new thread for every update or people won't be able to see the progression of the map and why certain decisions were made (or what questions may have already been answered.)
Major sully800

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas