Conquer Club

An Evolutionary Tournament IV (dragon dor wins!)

Tournaments completed in 2010.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 12 Aug)

Postby tzor on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Game 7425637 went to shoop76.

I hate those slow lingering deaths ... where you only have one territory left, only get only 3 units and it still takes them two rounds to kill you.
Cadet tzor

Postby Woodruff on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:59 pm

tzor wrote:Game 7425637 went to shoop76.

I hate those slow lingering deaths ... where you only have one territory left, only get only 3 units and it still takes them two rounds to kill you.

You've got another tournament badass for your next game, too...very tough draw.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby eddie2 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:36 pm

eddie 2 wins game Game 7425740
Sergeant 1st Class eddie2

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 13 Aug)

Postby The Cheat on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:55 am

Tournament Game: An Evolutionary Tournament IV - Round 1
7425748 ... tough loss against notyou2 .... tried a bold move early on a hard 1v1 map (Feudal War) and he made me pay

Tournament Game: An Evolutionary Tournament IV - Bracket B - Round 1
7456748 ... great drop and early start brought about my first victory in this one against RKCVED ... tough luck drop for him though ...

Can't wait until my next Bracket B match ... :D
Lieutenant The Cheat

Postby tzor on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Woodruff wrote:You've got another tournament badass for your next game, too...very tough draw.

I'm finding the game very interesting, even though he did have a 2 unit advantage as a result of the draw. :(
Cadet tzor

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 14 Aug)

Postby Zemljanin on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Woodruff, could you explain your system, I'm totally unable to predict against whom I am going to play... ((and pretty sure I'm not the only one)

I should play against go dan m, I guess. If I lose, I am going to bracket C. If I win, I should play against winner (or loser?) of the A35vsB30 match...
A35 will presumably be Krissan, thegreekdog or Anders2004. However, B30 just remains a dark secret to me, no matter how hard I try...

P.S. Maybe you should ignore my babbling and just explain in your own words...
The lowest rank: Question Mark
The lowest score: 1000
The lowest place on the scoreboard: don't remember
Captain Zemljanin

Postby Woodruff on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:53 am

Zemljanin wrote:Woodruff, could you explain your system, I'm totally unable to predict against whom I am going to play... ((and pretty sure I'm not the only one)

I should play against go dan m, I guess. If I lose, I am going to bracket C. If I win, I should play against winner (or loser?) of the A35vsB30 match...
A35 will presumably be Krissan, thegreekdog or Anders2004. However, B30 just remains a dark secret to me, no matter how hard I try...

P.S. Maybe you should ignore my babbling and just explain in your own words...

Sure thing...to speak specifically of your situation: In your first game in Bracket A, you played mpjh with the loser dropping down to the A28 block of Bracket B...unfortunately for you, that was you. So following to there, you will play the loser of the A27 match, which is "go dan m".

If you win that matchup against "go dan m", you will face the A35 loser, which will be between Krissan and thegreekdog.

If you however lose your matchup against the A27 loser, you will drop to the C bracket in the B14 block and play the loser of the B31 match, which will be between Johnny Rockets and the loser of the A34 match (shoop76 and Ghost_Rider).

The B30 reference is simply telling you where you'll go if you first beat "go dan m" and then you lose that matchup against "the loser of Krissan and thegreekdog".

Remember...the letter-number combo on the right of a matchup (B30, for instance) relates to a sign telling you where you will move to IF YOU LOSE while the letter-number combo on the left relates to where you are specifically placed IF YOU LOSE. Think of the one on the right as a pointer to the one on the left WHEN YOU LOSE, if that helps.

The letter-number combos don't affect you if you win, since you simply continue out on the bracket. You'll notice that later on in the brackets, those right-side letter-number combos are actually not on the line with any name, rather they are between the names. That's how I would prefer to do it throughout the whole bracket, but I'm limited on space in my PowerPoint file. So think of the letter-number combos on the right as being "between the two competitors", rather than on one line.

It can be a bit more difficult to follow if you don't have the brackets printed out on paper (which I do have) to follow the flow better.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense...I'll give it another shot. I'm going to add some of this to my "bracket explanation post" to try to help clarify it there.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Zemljanin on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:46 am

Woodruff wrote:Let me know if that doesn't make sense...

It does, a little bit of a study by my side - will most certainly do the job. However, this
Woodruff wrote:Remember...the letter-number combo on the right of a matchup (A28, for instance) relates to where you will move to IF YOU LOSE while the letter-number combo on the left relates to where you go to IF YOU LOSE.

seems as an obvious lapsus calami. I guess the red one should be WIN. Or blue one? :D
I'll check some examples and find out... :mrgreen:
Captain Zemljanin

Postby Woodruff on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:57 am

Zemljanin wrote:
Woodruff wrote:Remember...the letter-number combo on the right of a matchup (A28, for instance) relates to where you will move to IF YOU LOSE while the letter-number combo on the left relates to where you go to IF YOU LOSE.

seems as an obvious lapsus calami. I guess the red one should be WIN. Or blue one? :D

I know...it wasn't the most clear way to write it. Neither blue nor red is if you win though...If you win, you just move along the bracket.

Both blue and red definitely apply to ONLY if you are a loser, but in different ways. I guess my best way of breaking it down is to think of the right side letter-number combo as a pointer which points at the exact same letter-number combo in the next lower bracket, but which will then be on the left side (like a GOTO statement in programming).

Does that help?

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 15 Aug)

Postby notyou2 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Game 7456750 is complete.

Thanks
Captain notyou2

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 16 Aug)

Postby tzor on Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:32 am

Game 7456747 is complete: HighlanderAttack has the win.
Cadet tzor

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 17 Aug)

Postby Zemljanin on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:13 am

Woodruff wrote:Does that help?

Yes, thank you.

Btw Game 7471631 finished. Zemljanin won.
Captain Zemljanin

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 19 Aug)

Postby Doc_Brown on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:36 am

Game 7496160 is complete. I win over The Cheat in matchup B28. If I'm reading the bracket correctly, my next game is against the runner up of the bottom half of bracket A. Is that correct? If so, I have a bit of a wait!
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby Tripitaka on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:38 am

Tripitaka wins Game 7425622 against Queen_Herpes
The nature of Image was irrepressible!
Major Tripitaka

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:Game 7496160 is complete. I win over The Cheat in matchup B28. If I'm reading the bracket correctly, my next game is against the runner up of the bottom half of bracket A. Is that correct? If so, I have a bit of a wait!

Indeed, you are correct. Looks like that'll be a tough matchup.

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 22 Aug)

Postby eddie2 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:47 pm

eddie2 wins game no Game 7507961 against MudPuppy
Sergeant 1st Class eddie2

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 22 Aug)

Postby Zemljanin on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Game 7490022 finished. Zemljanin won.
Captain Zemljanin

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 24 Aug)

Postby Gilligan on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:52 am

Woodruff will update this tournament once his forum vacation has ended :)

(He asked me to let you all know)
Captain Gilligan

Postby Zemljanin on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Gilligan wrote:Woodruff will update this tournament once his forum vacation has ended :)

When his vacation finishes?
Captain Zemljanin

Postby Woodruff on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks for posting the note for me, Gilligan - I appreciate it. Sorry guys, I was on a short forum vacation for not behaving myself. I will update this thread tonight when I get home from work.

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 2 Sep)

Postby tzor on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Game 7573233 randomly put us in Chicago. I'm starting to like this map. The battle for "Midway" has begun, but I thought that battle wasn't in Chicago. ;)

Since no one else is posting, I figure I would update my post. Victory is MINE! :D
Cadet tzor

Re: An Evolutionary Tournament IV (Updated 5 Sep)

Postby Falkomagno on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 pm

i'm still alive in ths tourney? since the last time I'd play I won....I wonder, when it will be my next match
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Falkomagno wrote:i'm still alive in ths tourney? since the last time I'd play I won....I wonder, when it will be my next match

Yep, you're still alive. The loser between Enormastitz and Nailer X will play Zemljanin. You will play the loser in that game between Zemljanin and "the loser of Enormastitz and Nailer X".

Basically, you lost too quickly, so you've got to sit around waiting to see who drops into your bracket.

Postby alex951 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Game 7623648 is reserved for adam666 but in your bracket it says i should be going up against AAFitz??
Corporal alex951

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:44 pm

alex951 wrote:Game 7623648 is reserved for adam666 but in your bracket it says i should be going up against AAFitz??

Beautiful save, alex...I dorked that one up. You are correct that it should have been for AAFitz. I have dropped that game and will re-create. Thanks for that.

You are now forgiven for that brutally long 1st-round game against demy7. <laughing out loud>

(Glad adam was a bit slow in joining...saved wasting a game slot.)

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2010