Conquer Club

MC's Tenacious Tiddlywinks (CC Olympics) [josko.ri WINS]

Tournaments Completed in 2014.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: MC's Tenacious Tiddlywinks (CC Olympics) [Final Round]

Postby TheQuietOne on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Are there bonus points for winning game #15000000? Because if not, I've got no shot at winning this thing.
Major TheQuietOne

Postby mcshanester29 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:10 pm

TheQuietOne wrote:Are there bonus points for winning game #15000000? Because if not, I've got no shot at winning this thing.

LOL sorry no bonus points
Private mcshanester29

Postby mcshanester29 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:11 am

Here is how the standings ended up:

Platinum Medal - josko.ri
Gold Medal - stealth99
Silver Medal - TheFlashPoint
Bronze Medal - morleyjoe

Thanks all for playing!!!
Private mcshanester29

Re: MC's Tenacious Tiddlywinks (CC Olympics) [josko.ri WINS]

Postby stealth99 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:50 pm

I am confused. I was tied with josko after the playoff and josko and I have an identical head to head record. How does he finish ahead of me given the tiebreaker rules specified? Did I make a mistake in my math? Hopefully not.

Actually, since I have written this I have come up with another explanation and that would be that you are breaking a tie by only choosing head to head games in the final round as opposed to the entire tourney. This seems to me to be the opposite to the practice established in our auto tourneys, which was why I never considered this outcome until now.

I am baffled at why anyone would initiate a competition and then choose to declare the winner using arbitrary methods; when both players are clearly tied at the top and when a single game could settle the matter simply and so much more fairly. I would have expected the Tie-breaker rules to specify that scores reset each round, if they indeed do reset, just like it is specified in Auto Tourneys. In the absence of that specification, it is CC's practice to use scores from the entire tourney; not a particular round. But I am also not sure which is more important, the actual wording of the rules in the tourney or what you actually intended as a T.O.

I don't know what it is about this one Shane. The stars must have been aligned the wrong way or something :-). I have never before questioned a T.O. about a rule. I'll leave it in your hands to review this to ensure that I am not still owed an opportunity to compete for this win. If you would be so kind as to take a quick look, I'd appreciate it. Thanks and thank you for putting off this event for us.
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Re: MC's Tenacious Tiddlywinks (CC Olympics) [josko.ri WINS]

Postby mcshanester29 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:54 pm

stealth99 wrote:I am confused. I was tied with josko after the playoff and josko and I have an identical head to head record. How does he finish ahead of me given the tiebreaker rules specified? Did I make a mistake in my math? Hopefully not.

Actually, since I have written this I have come up with another explanation and that would be that you are breaking a tie by only choosing head to head games in the final round as opposed to the entire tourney. This seems to me to be the opposite to the practice established in our auto tourneys, which was why I never considered this outcome until now.

I am baffled at why anyone would initiate a competition and then choose to declare the winner using arbitrary methods; when both players are clearly tied at the top and when a single game could settle the matter simply and so much more fairly. I would have expected the Tie-breaker rules to specify that scores reset each round, if they indeed do reset, just like it is specified in Auto Tourneys. In the absence of that specification, it is CC's practice to use scores from the entire tourney; not a particular round. But I am also not sure which is more important, the actual wording of the rules in the tourney or what you actually intended as a T.O.

I don't know what it is about this one Shane. The stars must have been aligned the wrong way or something :-). I have never before questioned a T.O. about a rule. I'll leave it in your hands to review this to ensure that I am not still owed an opportunity to compete for this win. If you would be so kind as to take a quick look, I'd appreciate it. Thanks and thank you for putting off this event for us.

First this one isn't an auto tourney so tiebreaker rules are not the same. So you are correct with your "other explanation" in that the head to head game in the final round is the tiebreaker. josko.ri beat you in the final round which is why he gets first place. It maybe CC's practice to use scores from the entire tournament for auto tournaments, but you guys might not have met in any head to head games if you were assigned to different groups. In my personal tournaments I always use tiebreakers in the current round not the whole tournament and I have done this in several round robin tournaments I have ran in the past, before there was such a thing as an autotournament. Hope this clears it up.
Private mcshanester29

Previous

Return to Completed 2014