Conquer Club

BetaMarch 2015 Challenge

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

BetaMarch 2015 Challenge

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:51 am

Official Monthly Challenge for March 2015
Brought to you by DoomYoshi and the Community Team

CLICK HERE TO JOIN GAMES

Another year, another BetaMarch. Many of the maps are the same, and only polys will count. Since I am working 2 full time jobs, no forum posts or anything will count. Just a basic challenge. 5 maps from last year are not on this list and we have 3 new maps.

The maps that count as Beta for this year's challenge:
  • Czecho Slovak Fragmentation
  • District of Alaska
  • France 2.1
  • Krazy Kingdoms
  • Pirates and Merchants
  • Promontory Summit
  • Rail South America
  • Slovakia
  • Spanish Armada
  • Temple of Jinn
  • WWI Gallipoli

Maps will not be added to the list as the month goes on.

NO SIGN-UPS REQUIRED - Everyone is eligible!
To participate, join games with the following settings:

Settings
Map: Any Beta Map
Players per game: Two (2)
Game Type: Polymorphic
Initial Troops: Automatic OR Manual
Play Order: Freestyle or Sequential
Spoils: Any
Reinforcements: Any
Special Gameplay: Any
Round Length: Casual or speed

Medal Criteria
You need at least 35 Points for the Medal
2 points for winning a polymorphic (doubles) game
3 points for winning a polymorphic (triples) game
4 points for winning a polymorphic (quads) game

All 3 game types must be won in similar quantities. All 3 medal #s must be within 5 of each other (e.g. 10 bronze and 12 silver and 7 gold qualifies, but 10 bronze, 15 silver and 5 gold does not). This should keep spamming in check, but still allow tons of games for those who like tons.

The settings that must be present are 2 players (polymorphic) and Beta Map.
Please double check and make sure you have all these settings set.
The other settings are open. Round Limits are not mandatory, but are recommended to make sure all games finish on time.

Games can finish until April 30.

Notes
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: BetaMarch 2015 Challenge

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:29 pm

FAQs

Who can play a Challenge?
All challenges are open to everyone, although freemiums may have a problem meeting the game load.

How do we join?
All you have to do is a)create games that meet the requirements or b)join games that meet the requirements. They can be private, public or even tournament games. Team CC is not creating any games, the whole thing is done by users. There is a game-join link at the top of the first post.

What are the prizes?
For reaching the Challenge Goal you get one of the rarest medals on the site, the Challenge medal. Challenges only come around once, if you miss it, you won't ever have another chance.
For scoring the most points in the Challenge: 1 Green Conquer Star
For those who finish in 2nd-5th place in the Challenge and achieve the Goal: 1 Blue Conquer Star

When do I get my prize?
Soon after the end of the event!

How is deadbeating dealt with?
Please report deadbeats in your games, I will do a random check. Inventory items will stay, but medals might be taken away if the deadbeats points do not allow for a medal.

Tiebreakers?
They are dealt with by looking at who was first to achieve the desired result.

Rulings
1. Deadbeats will have entry points stripped.
2. Wins by round limit count as normal wins.
3. Games can always have round limits but they never need to.
4. Inventory relating to the challenge will vanish at the end of the year.
5. Bot games do not score tokens.

show: Past Challenges
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:29 pm

ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby ooge on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 am

I have not played it in a while but I dont think Promontory Summit can be played as a polly
Captain ooge

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:55 am

ooge wrote:I have not played it in a while but I dont think Promontory Summit can be played as a polly

Correct.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Donelladan on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:38 am

Settings
Map: Any Beta Map
Players per game: Two (2)
Game Type: Polymorphic
Initial Troops: Automatic OR Manual
Play Order: Freestyle or Sequential
Spoils: Any
Reinforcements: Any
Special Gameplay: Any
Round Length: Casual or speed

Just saying, freestyle and polymorphic at the same time is impossible.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby jonofperu on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:10 pm

The similar quantity per medal seemed like a problem and I started writing a long forum post. But then I realized it probably won't affect lower numbers of medals if you're just going for 35.
You could still end up with situations where people have to throw a game to keep the balance... which sucks. It would be funny if two opponents were both trying to lose!
Maybe you could apply the balance requirement only for scores above 50 or only for the scoreboard competition.
OR in a future challenge you could give out points only for each combination of 3 medals: 9 points for 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze, nothing for a pile of 10 gold. At that point there's no reason to call them gold, silver, bronze, since they score equally, but it might accomplish what you want. That way there's no penalty for having extra of something, the extra just doesn't count.
Major jonofperu

Postby John the best on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:13 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:NO SIGN-UPS REQUIRED - Everyone is eligible!

DoomYoshi wrote:Who can play a Challenge?
All challenges are open to everyone, although freemiums may have a problem meeting the game load.

Freemiums can't play Polymorphic games
Sergeant John the best

Postby jonofperu on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:14 pm

The Click Here to Join Games link brings up full games as well as open.
Major jonofperu

Postby Fugger on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:04 am

hard to join games when some people have you foe'd...juzz sayin....
Corporal 1st Class Fugger

Postby Donelladan on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:00 am

The "Click here to join games" link show game already started as well as game waiting for player.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:18 am

Fugger wrote:hard to join games when some people have you foe'd...juzz sayin....

Unfortunately several people do that, just got to deal with it.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:41 am

Lots of typos in the OP; I mostly recycled from last year. Will fix tonight.
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby betiko on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:04 pm

you can t play polymorphic on promontory summit doom
Major betiko

Postby osman76 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Captain osman76

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:02 am

Why enforce a five point difference between each type of medal? It doesn't reduce spam or increase fair play.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:08 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Why enforce a five point difference between each type of medal? It doesn't reduce spam or increase fair play.

It decreases spam if a) you assume both players have a 50% chance of winning, due to statistics OR b) you assume that a player who joins your games has a greater than 50% chance to beat you (if he joins all your 2-player Rail SA games, he might not join all the quads Promontory Summit games.
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:20 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Why enforce a five point difference between each type of medal? It doesn't reduce spam or increase fair play.

It decreases spam if a) you assume both players have a 50% chance of winning, due to statistics OR b) you assume that a player who joins your games has a greater than 50% chance to beat you (if he joins all your 2-player Rail SA games, he might not join all the quads Promontory Summit games.

To assume both players have a 50% chance of winning is dumb.

You can avoid issues by a) not spamming games, b) joining other people's games or c) leaning the game better.

If anyone joins any quads Promontory Summit games I'll be impressed.

How do any of your arguments support the need for balance between two, three and four slot?
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby jonofperu on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:42 am

I think if you want balance, you just award points only for combinations of games - don't give gold, silver, bronze... instead award a single medal for winning all three kinds of games. Each set of three is a medal. That way there is no penalty for accidentally getting too many of one kind, it just doesn't count.
IF you want balance anyway...
Major jonofperu

Postby ooge on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:59 am

You should rename this Polly march. free players can not participate in this,they cant play polly games.team beta games dont count, single player beta games dont count.Your doing your best and better than I would do but try to think things through more or ask others for input. and again Promontory Summit can only be played 1 on 1.So that Beta map does not count either.
Captain ooge

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:41 am

Am I the only person that thinks enforcing a balance between two, three and four slot is stupid? If anything, playing four slot games requires more strategy than the others. Just for this challenge I created several poly(4) games, so far seven have finished and I won all seven, yet it means nothing due to a daft rule.

Part of the reason I stopped participating in these challenges was because of the way spamming games was more rewarding than actually wining them, and also whenever a new 'rule' gets introduced to try and make things fair it just fails utterly. I'm done with challenges once again.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Donelladan on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:50 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:Am I the only person that thinks enforcing a balance between two, three and four slot is stupid? If anything, playing four slot games requires more strategy than the others. Just for this challenge I created several poly(4) games, so far seven have finished and I won all seven, yet it means nothing due to a daft rule.

Part of the reason I stopped participating in these challenges was because of the way spamming games was more rewarding than actually wining them, and also whenever a new 'rule' gets introduced to try and make things fair it just fails utterly. I'm done with challenges once again.

I don't care what this rule is supposed to do. Just take it as a part of a challenge. I don't think the rules have to make any sense for these challenges.
I find the rule make this challenge a bit different.

If it was simply get 35 points, whatever you play, then I would just have created a bunch of time the same maps exact same setting.
Because of the rules forcing me to play poly(2)/(3) and (4) I have played different maps settings. That's good.

It doesn't matter at all if the rule do succeed in preventing spamming. The rule make the challenge different of the others. I think it's quite good each challenge has a different scoring rule, and I think we should encourage OP to be more inventive in the scoring system.

And btw if someone create, let's say, 40 poly(2) 40 poly (3) and 40 poly (4), but get to win 26 poly(2) 12 poly(3) and 34 poly(4), he would have a bit of hard time getting the poly (3) to the level of the poly(4) esepecially since that results may only occur at the end of march and he could have only a few times to get it correct. Therefore this rule does prevent hard cord spamming of game ( just a bit). You can't plan your win %.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:30 pm

I agree with some of your points but at the same time I can't plan my win percentage for the poly(4) games I created, with basic settings and a variety of maps. I just don't think the rules for most of the challenges are as thorough as they could be.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby betiko on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:04 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:I agree with some of your points but at the same time I can't plan my win percentage for the poly(4) games I created, with basic settings and a variety of maps. I just don't think the rules for most of the challenges are as thorough as they could be.

I just started creating 6 poly dubs, next day i created 4 poly quads, next day 4 poly trips.
Won 5/6 dubs, 3/4 trips, 3/3 quads so far and the last quad left will most likely be a win. I happen to be a lucky fucker reaching exactly the 35 points required with that and I ll just stop there I guess and let people who like spamming the scoreboard go at it. I just find this rule extremely funny as some spammers will end up not getting the challenge if they try too hard to rise on the scoreboard without managing their win types correctly.

In your configuration with 0/0/7 mister Bond, you just need 2 dubs and 2 trips wins... And avoid at all cost playing quads. You still have 18 days to start them games...
Major betiko

Postby ooge on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:14 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:Am I the only person that thinks enforcing a balance between two, three and four slot is stupid? If anything, playing four slot games requires more strategy than the others. Just for this challenge I created several poly(4) games, so far seven have finished and I won all seven, yet it means nothing due to a daft rule.

players are going to get screwed for no other reason then luck.I play polly beta maps most of the time,so what am I supposed to do for this month? play only enough for the monthly medal then stop because I may end up being luckier in one setting over another? like I said players are going to get screwed for this POLLY MARCH medal.
Captain ooge

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges