Conquer Club

April Challenge: Cleopatra

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

April Challenge: Cleopatra

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:57 pm

Official Monthly Challenge for April 2015
Brought to you by DoomYoshi and the Community Team

CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES

In 2012, I started a series of tournaments which never made it past round 1: Wonderful Warrior Women. I have recently been inspired by Ronda Rousey, so now is the time to continue this series. This is round 2.

One of the ultimate strategists of history, Cleopatra used her charm to secure power throughout her short life. However, she was also a military commander, in various revolts shortly after she lost the throne, the Battle of the Nile and Siege of Alexandria to regain the throne of Egypt, alongside Julius Caesar and of course, the Battle of Actium.

The Battle of Actium was one of the last battles in the "Final War of the Roman Republic". This was a battle which was started by TMZ. Actually, they weren't around yet, but they might as well have been. Marc Antony controlled East Roman Empire and Octavian the West. Octavian's sister was married to Antony, who was sleeping with Cleopatra, and donated most of his Eastern Empire to her and the Egyptians and then married her, even though he wasn't divorced yet. Octavian mobilized his troops and they met at the Battle of Actium.

NO SIGN-UPS REQUIRED - Everyone is eligible!
To sign up all you need to do is join and win at least one game started between April 1 and April 30 with the following settings:

Settings
Maps: Battle of Actium
Players per game: 7 (Seven)
Game Type: Assassin
Initial Troops: Automatic/Manual
Round Limit: Any
Play Order: Freestyle
Spoils: Nuclear/Zombie
Reinforcements: Any Reinforcement
Special Gameplay: Fog, Trench Optional
Round Length: Casual or speed

Medal Criteria
475 points gets the medal

Join 22 or fewer games:
-1 (negative one) point for a bronze token (join a game), +100 points for a gold token (win a game)

Join more than 22 games:
+1 point for a bronze token, +10 points for a gold token

A note on the difficulty: This is a 20% difficulty challenge. I randomize from the votes in this thread. The voting is still open for that thread, and will be forever.

Wins will still be counted until May 31.

Notes
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: April Challenge: Cleopatra

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:59 pm

FAQs

Who can play a Challenge?
All challenges are open to everyone, although freemiums may have a problem meeting the game load.

How do we join?
All you have to do is a)create games that meet the requirements or b)join games that meet the requirements. They can be private, public or even tournament games. Team CC is not creating any games, the whole thing is done by users. There is a game-join link at the top of the first post.

What are the prizes?
For reaching the Challenge Goal you get one of the rarest medals on the site, the Challenge medal. Challenges only come around once, if you miss it, you won't ever have another chance.
For scoring the most points in the Challenge: 1 Green Conquer Star
For those who finish in 2nd-5th place in the Challenge and achieve the Goal: 1 Blue Conquer Star

When do I get my prize?
Soon after the end of the event!

How is deadbeating dealt with?
Please report deadbeats in your games, I will do a random check. Inventory items will stay, but medals might be taken away if the deadbeats points do not allow for a medal.

Tiebreakers?
They are dealt with by looking at who was first to achieve the desired result.

Rulings
1. Deadbeats will have entry points stripped.
2. Wins by round limit count as normal wins.
3. Games can always have round limits but they never need to.
4. Inventory relating to the challenge will vanish at the end of the year.
5. Bot games do not score tokens.

show: Past Challenges
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:00 pm

Scoreboard
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:16 am

Is this an April Fool?
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby lokisgal on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:25 pm

I sure hope so - what a nightmare if its not. FS is a whole specialized form of play and if you dont have the speediest provider or connection you lose. So youve cut out a huge chunk of people who normally would participate in these
Major lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:35 pm

lokisgal wrote:I sure hope so - what a nightmare if its not. FS is a whole specialized form of play and if you dont have the speediest provider or connection you lose. So youve cut out a huge chunk of people who normally would participate in these

Only if you play speed. I'm thinking more about the score system, the settings, the time required for speed or casual freestyle and the amount of luck based games required.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:47 pm

If it is random chance, there is a 20% chance of succeeding in this challenge.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby lokisgal on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:51 pm

With FS the chance is less than 20%
Major lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Silly Knig-it on Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:14 am

I beg to differ on the odds.

Player 1, me, joins the freestyle game. However, player 1 only gets to play once per day, maybe twice, always about the same times. No waiting for someone else to start. As a further handicap for a freestyle (or speed) game, Player 1 will be on a tablet and not a computer. With CC's active discouragement of mobile platforms, another big slow down.

All other players will be on desktop or laptop computers.

I figure player 1's odds of winning at 1%, maybe 2%.

So I think I'll pass. I enjoyed the challenges last year. I was hoping to get to play this month. But that is not to be. So far in 2015, not a single challenge has remotely been of interest, either from game play or like this one, technical feasibility.

Here's hoping for May. They really were fun in 2014.
Sergeant 1st Class Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby waauw on Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Yeah I'm not playing this challenge either. Freestyle is too time-intensive.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby ooge on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:55 am

something to consider.Easter games for this month, if a player really goes for that they will probably have less interest in this.
Captain ooge

Postby b00060 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:57 am

Try and think of a more luck based b.s. setting for a challenge....you can't.
Major b00060

Postby Donelladan on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:30 am

What a bunch of whiner.

Ok assassin is a luck based setting. That's assassin, do you complain assassin exists?
Nuclear give it a an extra part of luck. Not that huge so, I mean if you are lucky enough to nuke the last territory of your opponent, it means you already reduced your opponent to 1 territory, battle of actium isn't a small map, to reduce someone to 1 territ means you had to play good.
Ok 7 players nuke means nuke going in all direction, but still.

And freestyle casual on a map without obj, no problem, it only means the games will be faster. Everyone can play freestyle casual you do NOT need to be fast to play freestyle casual. If it was escalating standard ok then being fast can help. But nuclear assassin, the freestyle setting doesn't change shit to the way of playing it. You can play it on a tab/phone.

What is interesting with those challenge is that they force you to play some kind of setting/map you may not play usually. Those 12 players zombie trench on eastern hemisphere last year for example, I would have never played that if it wasn't for the challenge. And that was fun.
If the challenge just use normal setting everyone play day to day then it is boring.

b00060 wrote:Try and think of a more luck based b.s. setting for a challenge....you can't.

Took me 1 sec to find a more luck based setting :)

I beg to differ on the odds.

Player 1, me, joins the freestyle game. However, player 1 only gets to play once per day, maybe twice, always about the same times. No waiting for someone else to start. As a further handicap for a freestyle (or speed) game, Player 1 will be on a tablet and not a computer. With CC's active discouragement of mobile platforms, another big slow down.

All other players will be on desktop or laptop computers.

I figure player 1's odds of winning at 1%, maybe 2%.

I'd say you lose maybe 2% chance of winning from your standard chance with all the disagreement you have, so instead of 14% chance of winning, you have 12%.
7 players freestyle nuc, assassin, no obj, I don't see how the freestyle can be a problem for you. Ok maybe the one targetting you will get double turn on you sometimes but that's it, if you didn't have a bonus then it doesn't matter - and you got to be lucky to have a bonus on this map with 7 players. Won't be so much of problem as you said, the 5 other players will still ignore you.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:05 am

There's a difference between making unique but fun map and settings combinations and creating ones that most people who often participate in the monthly challenges don't want to play at all, unfortunately.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Donelladan on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:20 am

I already see 99 names on the challenge scoreboard, so 99 people joined at least one of this kind of game. And as ooge say, the easter challenge may have prevent some of joining so far.

Every challenge get more or less interest.
I don't see why you think this setting are particularly worse than others.
Assassin freestyle nuclear help for some medals, and the freestyle part will ensure those game are fast. I actually hate having bunch of super extra long game because of the challenge.

I was happier with march challenge because I was able to farmed noobs with special map/setting, so for my score march challenge was way better.
With this one it will be very hard to gain points, is that why you dislike the setting? :D
Colonel Donelladan

Postby b00060 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Took me 1 sec to find a more luck based setting :)

Not sure how you got one second from your rant reinforcing every point about the settings (minus fog which only made it even more based on luck), or where you listed one. Unless of course you were insinuating the 12 man game and settings.
Major b00060

Postby shoop76 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Must of the challenges don't really interest me. Just played the couple that have. Got screwed out of the January win, so I might not play any more, especially with am organizer that can't even be bothered to answer simple questions.
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Whitexazn on Sun May 03, 2015 10:46 am

damn, 475 for the medal is a lot.
Captain Whitexazn

Postby b00060 on Mon May 04, 2015 8:13 am

475 was way to much to try and achieve on a luck based map consistently. Challenging.......yes, fun and engaging.......no.
Major b00060

Postby MestreLion on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:31 am

Now that June Challenge is up, will medals from April be awarded?
Major MestreLion

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:36 am

MestreLion wrote:Now that June Challenge is up, will medals from April be awarded?

Very shortly.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Return to Monthly Challenges