Conquer Club

July 2015 Challenge- A Voyage to Pluto

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: July 2015 Challenge- A Voyage to Pluto

Postby JamesKer1 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:03 pm

W
Captn B wrote:
JamesKer1 wrote:
MestreLion wrote:Can we have a small 4 days extension to this challenge? Rules say the games must start between July 1st and 31, but the Challenge thread was only made at July the 4th, so we actually had less than a month to start the games. It's too short for such a demanding challenge, and those 4 "extra" days can make a huge difference. There are several 12-player games that have only 1-2 seats left to fill, at least let those count. So far no one achieved the goal, and if really ends here probably no one will, which would be sad.

I would say go ahead and fill the games. If there are people that would have benefited from the 4 day extension, we will add it in later.

Hey James. You're awesome, man! What a cool challenge this has been for us! Thanks again for doing it!

Quick question: Could the 4 day extension be applied to the ending date as well? There are still some unfinished games out there (some are sooo close, like in round 19), that it'd be a shame to have those games excluded after all our effort invested into them for this challenge.

Thanks for your consideration and thanks again for this challenge! :P
CB

I'll do some looking into it later tonight. Most likely, the answer will be yes since this was kind of a weird challenge due to scheduling.

However, I do want to look into the amounts of people that this will bump up to medal, 1st/whatever place, etc. I have to be fair in awarding, however, should an issue arise, I have no problem compensating from my personal stash of credits :)
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby MestreLion on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:04 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:
Captn B wrote:
JamesKer1 wrote:
MestreLion wrote:Can we have a small 4 days extension to this challenge? Rules say the games must start between July 1st and 31, but the Challenge thread was only made at July the 4th, so we actually had less than a month to start the games.

I would say go ahead and fill the games. If there are people that would have benefited from the 4 day extension, we will add it in later.

Quick question: Could the 4 day extension be applied to the ending date as well? There are still some unfinished games out there (some are sooo close, like in round 19), that it'd be a shame to have those games excluded after all our effort invested into them for this challenge.

I'll do some looking into it later tonight. Most likely, the answer will be yes since this was kind of a weird challenge due to scheduling.

However, I do want to look into the amounts of people that this will bump up to medal, 1st/whatever place, etc. I have to be fair in awarding, however, should an issue arise, I have no problem compensating from my personal stash of credits :)

There are 3 games that I'm aware of that would benefit from this extension:

Game 15838568
- ended on 2015-09-02 13:42:25, but "won" many days ago (last enemy was the only survivor for 3 days)
- won by MestreLion, Captn B, gbd88 and EspenOvergaard

Game 15788229
- ended on 2015-09-02 17:04:59
- won by MestreLion

Game 15788224
- ended on 2015-09-02 22:08:57
- won by Captn B

Also worth watching: Game 15838570
- Team 2 (same team as above) is dominating, but it may not end in 4 days (will be very close tho)

With these results, changes in scoreboard would be:
MestreLion (myself)
- 2 extra gold tokens, totalling 4
- 3 Gold Tokens requirement achieved, hence eligible for the Challenge Award :D
- Score bumped from 65 to 75
- Bumped from 3rd to 1st place
- notice my current 65 score is already greater than 1st place's 62 (which is 3rd in score), but it was zeroed due to not having 3 of each tokens.

Captn B
- 2 extra gold tokens, totalling 5 ( =D> )
- Score bumped from 37 to 47
- No position changes

gbd88
- 1 extra gold token, totalling 4
- Score bumped from 62 to 67 (tied with b00060, who was former score leader but zeroed for not having 3 of each tokens)
- From 1st to 2nd place due to me achieving the requirements

EspenOvergaard
- 1 extra gold token, totalling 2
- Score bumped from 14 to 19
- Bumped from 10th to 7th place, tied with 6th

It would be awesome if we could have this extension and include the above games (and others that apply, if any). It would be very frustrating to invest so much time and effort towards such an extremely hard (but very fun!) challenge and not getting the awards due to scheduling.

And James, thanks and congratulations on the Challenge itself. It was hard as hell, yes, but it was also tons of fun: the maps chosen were great, I really enjoyed them, the settings were fun (I like nuclear, just avoid them in maps such as All Your Bases, or small ones), and score format was a traditional, simple one (numbers could be lower tho, 50 is too much, and 12-player team trench takes too long, so 1-of-each-token would be better)

PS: Can you also update the scoreboard? The zeroed score is a bummer, and I'd love to take a screenshot, mommy will be so proud! :D

ML
Major MestreLion

Postby Captn B on Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Wow. Very nicely written, MestreLion! Are you a professional writer? (I'm just teasing, but it was very well written. =D> )

Altho only in round 10, game Game 15812527 is a relevant game.
Major Captn B
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MestreLion on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:25 am

Captn B wrote:Wow. Very nicely written, MestreLion! Are you a professional writer? (I'm just teasing, but it was very well written. =D> )

Nope, I'm just a very interested party in time extension and scoreboard changes ;)

The easier we make James' life, the better chances he will update the scoreboard. I really want to make mommy proud with a screenshot :P

Captn B wrote:Altho only in round 10, game Game 15812527 is a relevant game.

Relevant as in "I have a huge bonus"? ;)

I was aware of that game too (unfortunately - who the hell creates a 12-player trench team game with no reinforcements? That game is an exercise in masochism :sick: ), but, seriously: do you guys have a solid lead? Yes, surely; Are you going to win? Quite possibly, perhaps very likely; Is it going to end in the next 4 days? LOL, no way, not even in a week :P Everyone is still alive, so good luck wiping them all. And plleeeease, kill me first.. let me out of that torture!!!!
Major MestreLion

Postby MestreLion on Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:41 pm

An important update on Game 15838570! (I told you it was worth watching ;) )

As of 2015-09-04 16:11:58:
- Team 1 is dead
- Team 2 has all 4 players alive, 40 territories, 40+ troops and 30+ troops/turn
- Team 3 has only 2 players alive, 3 territories (all adjacent to Team 2), 3 troops, 6 troops/turn

So victory will come soon, possibly in the next few hours. But if T3 stall and/or miss turns (it happened more than once in this game) it might not end tomorrow (2015-08-05), which is the expected deadline of the extension, if approved. Even so, given the circunstances, is it possible to include it?

PS: Don't forget to update the scoreboard! Think about how proud mommy will be! :)
Major MestreLion

Postby JamesKer1 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Ok so here's my decision post. Thanks for making it easy, but I had to do the research myself to validate.

The only compensation that will be given will be for September 4th game finder time. I will not give out anything a second over that, as it will not be included in the Game Finder results I'm looking at in order to prevent bias. However, I did a search anyways for extending all dates to the fifth, and no extra games appeared.

Games that started on time, finished Sept 01-Sept 04:

Game 15788224- Gold medal status for Captn B
Game 15788229- Gold medal status for MestreLion

Game start Aug 01-Aug 04, finished on time:

Game 15794045- Silver medal status for CatchersMitt14, eric111213, and Larry46

Game start Aug 01-04, finished Sept 01-Sept 04

Game 15838568- Gold medal status for MestreLion, Captn B, gbd88, and EspenOvergaard

If these changes were applied to the scoreboard itself, MestreLion would take the lead and would be qualified for the Challenge Medal. All others would not meet the requirements for the medal. So, Mestre, I will see what can be done about the extra scoreboard tokens for you and gbd, however, I do not feel it necessary to have the admins take care of any of the remaining tokens since they will not influence medal or score status.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby MestreLion on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:59 am

Thanks for your reply and decision to extend the ending date as well, James!

I'd love to see Game 15838570 included as well, if only to see Captn B's huge effort in this Challenge somehow rewarded, but I understand your criteria and decision.

As for the scoreboard, please update it if possible. Not only for me and gbd88, but for everyone. The zeroed score was a real, real bummer for everyone. For most It doesn't matter if they don't meet an extra requirement (and they are aware of that), but they may be proud they scored something, be it 10, 25, or 60 points.

Take b00060 for example: he earned whooping 67 points before the extension. Even if he does not qualify for the medal, he is entitled to the 2nd place, as the scoreboard should be sorted by score alone. In case of any ties, the one who got such score first should be better ranked. Don't deprive people of their hard-earned bragging rights, as this is one of the most important motivations for participating in such challenges :)
Major MestreLion

Postby b00060 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:09 am

Agreed!

MestreLion wrote:Thanks for your reply and decision to extend the ending date as well, James!

I'd love to see Game 15838570 included as well, if only to see Captn B's huge effort in this Challenge somehow rewarded, but I understand your criteria and decision.

As for the scoreboard, please update it if possible. Not only for me and gbd88, but for everyone. The zeroed score was a real, real bummer for everyone. For most It doesn't matter if they don't meet an extra requirement (and they are aware of that), but they may be proud they scored something, be it 10, 25, or 60 points.

Take b00060 for example: he earned whooping 67 points before the extension. Even if he does not qualify for the medal, he is entitled to the 2nd place, as the scoreboard should be sorted by score alone. In case of any ties, the one who got such score first should be better ranked. Don't deprive people of their hard-earned bragging rights, as this is one of the most important motivations for participating in such challenges :)
Major b00060

Previous

Return to Monthly Challenges