Conquer Club

April 2016 - "Logarithmic Plots are a Device of the Devil"

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

April 2016 - "Logarithmic Plots are a Device of the Devil"

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:23 pm

Official Monthly Challenge for April 2016
Brought to you by the Community Team

CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - BRONZE
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - SILVER
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - GOLD

Options under the tournament header "April Challenge Games" are available to fulfill the requirements for this challenge. The password to all games is APRIL. They will appear using the search links found above, all are welcome to join.

As a reminder, anyone can start games with the required settings in order to compete in the monthly challenges.

LIVE EARTHQUAKES MAP

Charles Richter was born on April 26, 1900 in Overpeck, Ohio. He is most well know for collaborating with Beno Gutenberg to develop The Richter Magnitude Scale, published in 1935. The previous system, developed in 1902, was based on subjective measurements of how buildings and people were affected by an earthquake. The Richter Scale introduced a more absolute measure of intensity by implementing the use of a seismograph which is able to record the Earth's motion. The Richter Scale rates the magnitude of an earthquake (or the amount of energy it releases) as measured by the seismograph. Since the basis of the Richter Scale is a logarithmic, each level on the scale is ten times stronger than the previous level (each whole number being representative of a level).

The Richter Scale has since been succeeded by the Moment Magnitude Scale which uses different formulae but remains similar to its predecessor.

9.5 - Chile (1960)
9.2 - Alaska (1964)
9.0 - Oshika Peninsula (2011)
8.8 - Chile (2010)
8.6 - Assam/Tibet (1950)
7.9 - Fort Tejon (1857)
7.3 - British Columbia (1946)

Sources: Wikipedia, USGS, MTU, Geo Noi, livescience, National Geographic

NO SIGN-UPS REQUIRED - Everyone is eligible!
To sign up all you need to do is join and win at least one game started between April 01 and April 30.

Settings
Maps: District of Alaska [Alaska], First Nations South America [Chile], Japan [Oshika Peninsula], Vancouver [British Columbia], Indian Empire [Assam/Tibet], California [Fort Tejon]
Players per game: 5 or more
Game Type: Terminator
Initial Troops: Any
Round Limit: 20, 30, or 50
Play Order: Any
Spoils: Any
Reinforcements: Any
Special Gameplay: TRENCH - mandatory; fog - optional
Round Length: casual (24 hour)

Medal Criteria
Your SCORE is calculated this month as follows.

• A SCORE of 9.5 is required for a medal. ANY combination of tokens will qualify.
  • Must have at least TWO bronze tokens for each silver token to count towards your score.
  • Must have at least THREE silver tokens for each gold token to count towards your score.

Tokens are for WINS only
Each BRONZE Token is worth 12,000,000 points - Indian Empire, California
Each SILVER Token is worth 120,000,000 points - Japan, Vancouver
Each GOLD Token is worth 1,200,000,000 points - First Nations South America, District of Alaska

Wins will be counted until June 30.

APRIL SCOREBOARD

Notes
Captain CatchersMitt14

Re: April 2016 - "Logarithmic Plots are a Device of the Devi

Postby fairman on Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:33 pm

I may not be an expert in math
log 9(1 000 000 000) = 9
log 10( 10 000 000 000) = 10
log (3 500 000 000) = 9.54

So we need a score of 3 500 000 000 wich means that you need 3 gold token, so you also need 9 silver token, so you also need 18 bronze token.
In 5 players game, and imagine that you are better thant the other and 33% chance of winning.
you have to play 9 + 27 + 54 = 90 games with trench settings. It seems pretty tough challenge this month.

May someone let me know if I get it wrong?

Nous Ć©tions lĆ  bien avant les targaryens !!
Brigadier fairman

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:02 pm

fairman wrote:I may not be an expert in math
log 9(1 000 000 000) = 9
log 10( 10 000 000 000) = 10
log (3 500 000 000) = 9.54

So we need a score of 3 500 000 000 wich means that you need 3 gold token, so you also need 9 silver token, so you also need 18 bronze token.
In 5 players game, and imagine that you are better thant the other and 33% chance of winning.
you have to play 9 + 27 + 54 = 90 games with trench settings. It seems pretty tough challenge this month.

May someone let me know if I get it wrong?

You're close.

invlog 9.5 = 3,162,277,661

Three gold tokens would do it, but you can do it with fewer.
2 gold tokens = 2,400,000,000
6 silver tokens =720,000,000
12 bronze tokens = 144,000,000
total = 3,264,000,000, which is more than enough.

So, you could do it with 80 games assuming you win 1/5, or fewer if your win ratio is higher.

Yes, it's going to be fairly tough. February and March Challenges were pretty easy, it's time for a tough one. :D
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:17 pm

Blah blah blah april fool! Or not?
Major betiko

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Dukasaur is right. Fairman, you were close, just some rounding errors. You only need a score of 9.5 for the medal.

264 bronze tokens would work as well :o
Captain CatchersMitt14

Postby ooge on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Nope I will pass on this.I will spend the month playing polly and beta maps
Captain ooge

Postby Lord Arioch on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:15 pm

I hate math! :-$
Sergeant 1st Class Lord Arioch

Postby b00060 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:46 am

These are getting ridiculously confusing. Basically deterring players from entering. Pass.....
Major b00060

Postby betiko on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:50 pm

Seriously mitt... You need to consider proposing challenges that can be fun, not something that sounds like a spanish inquisition torture with no chance of success.
I ve passed last month, and i m definitely passing this month too.
Some challenges are ridiculously easy some others are ridiculously difficult, i don t know how it s possible that challenge organizers seem not to get it...
It would be like "touch your back with your left hand and win a token"
Then the next month "do 100000 pushups in 2 days and win a token"

Challenges like february were really fun and very popular. It's not about writing a funny text...
Major betiko

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:08 pm

betiko wrote:Seriously mitt... You need to consider proposing challenges that can be fun, not something that sounds like a spanish inquisition torture with no chance of success.

Seriously, you need to get some perspective. We've had two very easy challenges in a row, it was time for a tough one.

Winning approximately twenty games is hardly a shocking feat. If you don't like it don't play it, but don't start abusing Mitt for making a challenge that's actually a bit of a, you know, challenge.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Lord Arioch on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:11 am

How many do i need to win to get my medal i kind of hate math .... can someone plz type it up for us math illeterates? :)

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:50 am

Lord Arioch wrote:How many do i need to win to get my medal i kind of hate math .... can someone plz type it up for us math illeterates? :)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=786&t=217789&p=4805555#p4803800

To make a long story short:
2 gold games
6 silver games
12 bronze games

Math is the basis of civilization. You should embrace it. My mother always told me, "even if the cops come in the middle of the night, beat the shit out of you, and drag you off to the cells, as long as you can recite the Pythagorean Theorem you'll stay sane."
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Lord Arioch on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:26 am

I thought it was
ich bin
du bist
er,es,sie ist

And so on that u needed:)

Im more into social science :) math are not my cup of tea i still think 1/3 is less than 1/4 ....3 is less than 4 right... :D

thx man!

Postby ooge on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Lord Arioch wrote:How many do i need to win to get my medal i kind of hate math .... can someone plz type it up for us math illeterates? :)

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=786&t=217789&p=4805555#p4803800

2 gold games
6 silver games
12 bronze games

Math is the basis of civilization. You should embrace it. My mother always told me, "even if the cops come in the middle of the night, beat the shit out of you, and drag you off to the cells, as long as you can recite the Pythagorean Theorem you'll stay sane."

for a dimwitted guy like myself can it be done with just gold or do you need some bronze and silver mixed in.if its just gold then maybe players will accomplish this or try for it.
Captain ooge

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:15 pm

ooge wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

2 gold games
6 silver games
12 bronze games

for a dimwitted guy like myself can it be done with just gold or do you need some bronze and silver mixed in.if its just gold then maybe players will accomplish this or try for it.

You need the mix, yes. 2 bronzes to make a silver count, and 3 silvers to make a gold count.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ooge on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:13 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
ooge wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

2 gold games
6 silver games
12 bronze games

You need the mix, yes. 2 bronzes to make a silver count, and 3 silvers to make a gold count.

Thanks bud for the info..I am playing some gold games and I love these monthly medals but terminators being mt worst setting I just dont see doing this.
Captain ooge

Postby betiko on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:22 am

Dukasaur wrote:
betiko wrote:Seriously mitt... You need to consider proposing challenges that can be fun, not something that sounds like a spanish inquisition torture with no chance of success.

Seriously, you need to get some perspective. We've had two very easy challenges in a row, it was time for a tough one.

Winning approximately twenty games is hardly a shocking feat. If you don't like it don't play it, but don't start abusing Mitt for making a challenge that's actually a bit of a, you know, challenge.

lol 2very easy in a row... people might have other things to do than play CC... and people might have already many things to play on CC.
A challenge is a bit too often about quantity rather than quality here.
if i understand corectly, you need to win those exact amount of medals; meaning you need to lose on purpose if you've reached the amount required.
Major betiko

Postby Swifte on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:10 am

betiko wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

lol 2very easy in a row... people might have other things to do than play CC... and people might have already many things to play on CC.
A challenge is a bit too often about quantity rather than quality here.
if i understand corectly, you need to win those exact amount of medals; meaning you need to lose on purpose if you've reached the amount required.

There is no reason with this challenge that you need to throw any games to get the points required.
The worst case scenario is you win 3 gold medal qualifying games, but only 8 silver medals - which is not enough silvers to earn points from your 3rd gold medal. But that doesn't mean that the third gold medal qualifying win hurts you in any way. Just means you would've had an even better score if you would have won one more silver game.
Colonel Swifte

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:04 pm

betiko wrote:if i understand corectly, you need to win those exact amount of medals; meaning you need to lose on purpose if you've reached the amount required.

Nope, no penalty for exceeding the minimum.

Swifte wrote:There is no reason with this challenge that you need to throw any games to get the points required.
The worst case scenario is you win 3 gold medal qualifying games, but only 8 silver medals - which is not enough silvers to earn points from your 3rd gold medal. But that doesn't mean that the third gold medal qualifying win hurts you in any way. Just means you would've had an even better score if you would have won one more silver game.

Yeah, what Swifte said...:)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:24 pm

+1 on the "wtf am I being asked to do" pile.

Edit: the summaries given in thread are pretty helpful

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby ooge on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:12 pm

I may be looking at the wrong time but seeing only 1 open game out of the three settings.The challenge may be to see if anyone accomplishes this.
Captain ooge

Postby cgblack on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:24 pm

There are no games available now. It's going to be very hard to complete without them!
Sergeant 1st Class cgblack

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:45 pm

cgblack wrote:There are no games available now. It's going to be very hard to complete without them!

Nothing stopping you from making some.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Options under the tournament header "April Challenge Games" are available to fulfill the requirements for this challenge. The password to all games is APRIL. They will appear using the search links found above, all are welcome to join.

As a reminder, anyone can start games with the required settings in order to compete in the monthly challenges.
Captain CatchersMitt14

Postby b00060 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:44 pm

I appreciate the time that goes into organizing these, but I really wish they were a little easier to understand. Many of these are damn near impossible which makes them little to no fun because not enough people play them and the games are scarce.
Major b00060

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges