Conquer Club

August 2016 - Solar Impulse

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

August 2016 - Solar Impulse

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:04 pm

Official Monthly Challenge for August 2016
Brought to you by the Community Team with inspiration from dakky21.

SOLARIMPULSE: Exploration to Change the World

Wikipedia wrote:Solar Impulse is a Swiss long-range experimental solar-powered aircraft project, and also the name of the project's two operational aircraft. The privately financed project is led by Swiss engineer and businessman André Borschberg and Swiss psychiatrist and aeronaut Bertrand Piccard, who co-piloted Breitling Orbiter 3, the first balloon to circle the world non-stop. The Solar Impulse project's goals were to make the first circumnavigation of the Earth by a piloted fixed-wing aircraft using only solar power and to bring attention to clean technologies. Reflecting on these goals, Mike Scott wrote in Forbes magazine: "If we can fly around the world using only the power of the sun and the [optimization] of energy efficiency technologies, the potential of clean technologies in other applications is immense."

2015-2016 Circumnavigation of the Earth

Wikipedia wrote:The route followed by Solar Impulse 2 was entirely in the Northern Hemisphere. Twelve stops were originally planned along the route, with pilots Borschberg and Piccard alternating; at each stop, the crew awaited good weather conditions along the next leg of the route. For most of its time airborne, Solar Impulse 2 cruised at a ground speed of between 50 and 100 kilometres per hour (31 and 62 mph), usually at the slower end of that range at night to save power. Legs of the flight crossing the Pacific and Atlantic oceans were the longest stages of the circumnavigation, taking up to five days and nights. On multi-day flights, the pilots took 20-minute naps and used yoga or other exercises to promote blood flow and maintain alertness.

By the end of May 2015, the plane had traversed Asia. It made an unscheduled stop in Japan to await favourable weather over the Pacific, increasing the expected number of legs of the journey to 13. The aircraft began the flight from Japan to Hawaii on 28 June 2015 (29 June, Japan local time). With Borschberg in the cockpit, it reached Hawaii on 3 July, setting new records for the world's longest solar-powered flight both by time (117 hours, 52 minutes) and distance (7,212 km; 4,481 mi). The flight's duration was also a record for longest solo flight, by time, for any aircraft. During that leg the plane's batteries were damaged by overheating because they were packed in too much insulation. New parts had to be ordered, and as it was late in the season, with days shortening in the northern hemisphere, the plane was grounded in Hawaii. The US Department of Transportation stored the aircraft in a hangar at Kalaeloa Airport on Oahu.

New batteries were made and installed in the plane. Test flights began in February 2016 to prepare for resumption of the circumnavigation once northern hemisphere days lengthened enough to permit multi-day solar-powered flights. A favourable weather window opened in April 2016, and the plane resumed its journey, landing at Moffett Field, in California, on 23 April. During that flight, Piccard, via a live videolink, spoke with Ban Ki-Moon and Doris Leuthard before the General Assembly of the United Nations, from the cockpit of Solar Impulse 2, commenting on that day's historic signing of the Paris Agreement and discussing how using clean technologies can create jobs and fight global warming. Additional legs of the flight were added in the US as Solar Impulse 2 flew to Phoenix, Arizona, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Dayton, Ohio, Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania and New York City, arriving there on 11 June 2016.

Piccard piloted the aircraft across the Atlantic Ocean, arriving in Seville, Spain, on 23 June. The aircraft next stopped in Cairo, Egypt, on 13 July, and landed in Abu Dhabi on 26 July, completing the around-the-world trip in a total of 17 stages and 16-1/2 months; it was the first circumnavigation of the Earth by a piloted fixed-wing aircraft using only solar power.

Sources: SOLARIMPULSE: Exploration to Change the World, Wikipedia, Discover Magazine, AOPA

NO SIGN-UPS REQUIRED - Everyone is eligible!
To appear on the scoreboard all you need to do is join and win at least one game started between August 01 and August 31.

Settings
Maps: Africa, Egypt: Valley of the Kings, Classic, Europe, Iberia, Middle East, Mongol Empire, NYC, USA, World 2.1
Players per game: Any
Game Types: Terminator + Escalating AND Assassin + No Spoils
Initial Troops: Any
Round Limit: Any
Play Order: Any
Reinforcements: Any
Special Gameplay: FOG - optional; TRENCH - optional
Round Length: Any

Medal Criteria
Tokens are for WINS only.
60 points are required for a medal and at least ONE of each token type.

Each ORANGE Token is worth 5 point - Africa [Africa, Egypt: Valley of the Kings]
Each PURPLE Token is worth 5 point - Asia [Middle East, Mongol Empire]
Each BLUE Token is worth 5 points - Europe [Europe, Iberia]
Each GREEN Token is worth 5 points - North America [NYC, USA]
Each IMPULSE Token is worth 10 points - World Maps [Classic, World 2.1]

Wins will be counted until September 30.

AUGUST SCOREBOARD

Notes

CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - ORANGE - TERMINATOR/ESCALATING
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - ORANGE - ASSASSIN/NO SPOILS
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - PURPLE - TERMINATOR/ESCALATING
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - PURPLE - ASSASSIN/NO SPOILS
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - BLUE - TERMINATOR/ESCALATING
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - BLUE - ASSASSIN/NO SPOILS
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - GREEN - TERMINATOR/ESCALATING
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - GREEN - ASSASSIN/NO SPOILS
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - IMPULSE - TERMINATOR/ESCALATING
CLICK HERE TO JOIN WAITING GAMES - IMPULSE - ASSASSIN/NO SPOILS

Captain CatchersMitt14

Re: August 2016 - Solar Impulse

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:33 pm

do wins by round limit count?
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
Colonel t4mcr53s2

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:40 pm

t4mcr53s2 wrote:do wins by round limit count?

Yes.
Captain CatchersMitt14

Postby bobbythomson on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:24 pm

I need a little help understanding how to join the monthly challenge - do I just click on the link and play one of the waiting games? A couple that I clicked didn't have any waiting games.
Sergeant 1st Class bobbythomson

Postby rizky_biznezz on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:53 pm

U can make games that fit the criteria bobby if there are none available to join.. As long as the map and settings match they will be counted toward the monthly challenge
Sergeant 1st Class rizky_biznezz

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:56 am

bobbythomson wrote:I need a little help understanding how to join the monthly challenge - do I just click on the link and play one of the waiting games? A couple that I clicked didn't have any waiting games.

If there aren't any games waiting with the proper criteria, just go ahead and start some. It's completely open-ended that way.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby bobbythomson on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:45 am

got it - thanks everyone!!
Sergeant 1st Class bobbythomson

Postby ConfederateSS on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:11 am

--------I rarely if ever start a game........THESE ARE SOME OF MY FAVORITE MAPS.......SO WHAT THE HELL.......I JOINED CONQUER CLUB TO PLAY RISK.......PEOPLE NEED GAMES FOR TOKENS............LET'S HIT THE BATTLEFIELD RUNNING :D :D :D .........Let's hope the games and the challenge can stay KOOL 8-) 8-) 8-) .......THIS GO AROUND...FOR CATCHER'S sake...fingers crossed...........GOOD LUCK......... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D...........I am an Environmentalist .....I remember when "Voyager" a plane flew around the world....NON STOP....So this challenge is even more KOOL ,than just another challenge...
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:52 pm

FINALLY on the scoreboard!

That "purple" (actually pink) token was a bitch to get.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:47 am

Perhaps I'm dense and am missing something, but I have one of each token type except for the impulse token, totaling 40 points, and it still shows me as having zero points. Am I missing something?

Do I need one of each token type before the point total registers?
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:39 am

nolefan5311 wrote:Perhaps I'm dense and am missing something, but I have one of each token type except for the impulse token, totaling 40 points, and it still shows me as having zero points. Am I missing something?

Do I need one of each token type before the point total registers?

Yes.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Beast Of Burson on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:39 pm

I actually like this challenge. The way you have to get your points and all. Are you going to use this setup for more of the monthly challenges?
Cook Beast Of Burson

Postby ElricTheGreat on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:12 pm

I won one of the IMPULSE style maps and do not yet see my name on the scoreboard ... the 1st post indicates only 1 win will get you listed ... thoughts?

Game 16792274

I had joined this game by clicking on one of the links to games from this tread
Stormbringer is thirsty --- Thursting for YOUR Soul!
Captain ElricTheGreat
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Postby Beast Of Burson on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:01 pm

Dukasaur wrote:FINALLY on the scoreboard!

That "purple" (actually pink) token was a bitch to get.

+1

Absolutely!
Cook Beast Of Burson

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:02 am

ElricTheGreat wrote:I won one of the IMPULSE style maps and do not yet see my name on the scoreboard ... the 1st post indicates only 1 win will get you listed ... thoughts?

Game 16792274

I had joined this game by clicking on one of the links to games from this tread

1 won't get you on the scoreboard. Right now the lowest person on the scoreboard has 2 of them, so you will need at least 3 to pass him and get on.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:03 pm

And the crowd bursts into thunderous applause as Dukasaur roars into the lead!

Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:27 pm

--------MEDAL TIME =D> =D> =D> ...This one is worth it...1st challenge medal... :D ...... :D...As for DUK... =D> =D> =D> ROLL ON DUK ...ROLL ON... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:35 am

ConfederateSS wrote:--------MEDAL TIME =D> =D> =D> ...This one is worth it...1st challenge medal... :D ...... :D...As for DUK... =D> =D> =D> ROLL ON DUK ...ROLL ON... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D

Thanks, man! Good to see that you have enough for the medal, too.

I'm only disappointed that b000 decided not to fight me to the end. I was all ready for a grueling and nail-biting race for first, and now it looks like I will coast to the finish line unopposed. Still quite happy with that, but would have been just a tiny bit happier the other way.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:03 am

-------He is a stand up player though...It could have been worse...He could have gone---CODE RED on you. ;) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)...If it wasn't for Feb.Chal...going code red. :( I would have had my 1st a few months ago...Doom did a great job on that game style...It made me want to hit the battlefield again...Something "red" couldn't ruin... :D =D> =D> ...
Lieutenant ConfederateSS

Postby josko.ri on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:38 am

Will there be September monthly challenge happening? Already 3 days in September and I do not see any banner for the monthly challenge.
Major josko.ri

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:56 am

josko.ri wrote:Will there be September monthly challenge happening? Already 3 days in September and I do not see any banner for the monthly challenge.

Yeah. There have been some technical challenges with the September Challenge, but they've been solved now. Should be up at 18:00 CC time today.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby brsteelers74 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:51 pm

I can not seem to see the september challenge all i see is the scoreboard and the list of facts lol. I can not see the actual info on the challenge for this month anyone else having this problem?
Private 1st Class brsteelers74

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:14 pm

brsteelers74 wrote:I can not seem to see the september challenge all i see is the scoreboard and the list of facts lol. I can not see the actual info on the challenge for this month anyone else having this problem?

Are you looking in the right thread?

Direct link: https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=786&t=219706
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby brsteelers74 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:29 pm

thanks i get there with that link but still can not when i click on september challenge
Private 1st Class brsteelers74

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:39 pm

brsteelers74 wrote:thanks i get there with that link but still can not when i click on september challenge

Is it that you trying to get to the forum link from the banner on the central command page? The two have not been linked yet; I'll ask him to do that. Until then you can get to the challenge through the forum or by using Duk's direct link.
11:36:19 ‹Swifte› #RazYouUselessTwit
Captain CatchersMitt14

Next

Return to Monthly Challenges