Conquer Club

April 2024 Challenge -- A Total Eclipse of the Sun

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: April 2024 Challenge -- A Total Eclipse of the Sun

Postby Donelladan on Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:34 pm

:D Yes !

I had no idea who was Dick Ebersol or Carly Simon, took me a bit of searching to figure that out.
It was easy to find that Dick paid 50k to know about the song You're so Vain, but it wasn't mentionned that the song was about an eclipse.

I listened to the song, it's nice. Old style.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Delf on Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:46 am

Dukasaur wrote: Dick Ebersol paid $50,000 to be told who the song is about, although he had to sign an agreement not to tell anyone else.

WOW, Nice to know that signing an agreement not to tell anyone else worked - It's so good to know how worthwhile a signed agreement is. It's almost as good as that one that goes, "Until Death do us Part." on a marriage contract. lol
Captain Delf

Postby MrBoom on Mon May 06, 2024 6:35 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Donelladan wrote:Does it has to do with the previous total eclipse in Canada in 1972?

Dick Ebersol paid 50k to know who was the subject of the song You're So Vain hence he isn't poor and this song speak of that eclipse

And I guess 1972 is that old that only rock and roll generation can remember that eclipse.

Finally someone who actually reads the clues! =D>

I was hoping for a more specific answer, but I'm going to award the GA to you since you are by far the closest and there isn't exactly a stampede of people working the clues.

Full answer:
An eclipse always makes me think of the line in You're So Vain that says:
Then you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun

It's a deeply ingrained word-association in me. If anyone says, "eclipse", the line "you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia...[etc.]" immediately jumps into my head.

Nova Scotia, of course, is in Canada, so that's why I chose the Canada map. If someone didn't get it after the third clue, my fourth clue to give out tomorrow was going to be something about Learjets.

I already thought the Dick Ebersol clue was too easy. I was really surprised nobody got it yesterday after I gave out that clue. For those just tuning in: It is one of the most hotly-debated arguments in rock trivia, whether the "You" in "You're So Vain" refers to Warren Beatty or to Mick Jagger. Most experts believe it's Warren Beatty, but there is a vocal minority (including some of my local deejays) who hold out for Mick Jagger. David Cassidy has also been put forward.

In 2003, at a charity auction, Carly Simon auctioned off the information. As Donelladan has correctly noted, Dick Ebersol paid $50,000 to be told who the song is about, although he had to sign an agreement not to tell anyone else. A few other people have claimed to know, but only Carly and Dick are confirmed to know for sure.

In 1972 I was in Grade Four. My Grade Four teacher, Mr. Worobec, was the coolest dude I had met until that point. My first two teachers in public school, Mrs. Holmes and Mrs. Graham, were Conservative old bats. I think they were partially mummified. The only songs they knew were God Save the Queen and Rule Britannia! Mr. Worobec was a whole new kind of animal. He was young and hip and listened to Rock and Roll. Anyway, he actually sang You're So Vain in class one day.

nice stories :D
Lieutenant MrBoom

Previous

Return to Monthly Challenges