Conquer Club

Just for Phun

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Just for Phun

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue May 16, 2023 1:19 am

8 Child Prodigies Who Changed the World

1 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Intrigued by the harpsichord at age 3, Austrian Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart accelerated through lessons and delivered his first musical composition in 1761 at age 5. That was enough for his father, who sent young Mozart and his older sister — also a gifted musician — on a tour of European cities over the next decade. Mozart thrived despite the grueling traveling conditions, dashing off his first symphony at age eight and his first operas not long after. At age 14, he transcribed Gregorio Allegri's “Miserere” from memory after hearing it performed at the Sistine Chapel, and returned a few weeks later to make only minor corrections to his notes. Mozart, of course, went on to become one of the greatest composers of the classical period, and the early realization of his abilities allowed him the time to create more than 600 works despite an early death at age 35.

2 Shirley Temple

3 Bobby Fisher

Born in Chicago, Illinois in 1943, Bobby Fisher began playing chess at age 6 after his big sister purchased a $1 set. His talent had blossomed by age 13 when Fisher defeated former U.S. champion Donald Byrne in the "game of the century." He went on to become the youngest national champion at age 14, the game's youngest grandmaster at age 15, and the first American to claim the world championship. Unfortunately after these early successes, an increasingly erratic Fisher became better known for his bigoted rants and troubles with the law, though his place in history is secure thanks to the early show of brilliance that popularized the insular game of kings.

4 Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz

5 John Stuart Mill

English philosopher John Stuart Mill's legacy as one of the great writers and thinkers of the 19th century was forged by a childhood devoted to academia. Undertaking a rigorous curriculum, Mill was studying ancient Greek by age three, wrote a history of ancient Rome by age six, and mastered Latin by age 8. The training left him positioned to aid his philosopher father's intellectual pursuits, but it also produced an inner turmoil that manifested in a nervous breakdown and a period of depression in his early 20s. It wasn't until he started reading poetry that Mill began understanding the feelings that had been repressed since childhood, paving the way for his groundbreaking works on utilitarianism, intellectual freedom, capitalism, and gender equality.

6 Jascha Heifetz

7 John von Neumann

While not nearly as well-remembered as fellow European emigree and scholar Albert Einstein, John von Neumann was also a certifiable genius who made an enormous imprint on the world around him. Born in 1903 in Budapest, Hungry, his turbo-charged intellect was apparent by the early stages of grade school. Von Neumann could converse in ancient Greek and multiply two eight-digit numbers in his head by age 6 and within two years he was already learning calculus. His dad tried to dissuade his son from a career in mathematics over fears that it was an unsustainable career, but von Neumann not only proved he could make a comfortable living in the field, he also showed his training could be applied to the development of game theory, personal computers, weather forecasting, and other real-world applications.

8 Willie Mosconi

Billiards legend Willie Mosconi got his start playing the game in his father's Philadelphia pool hall, even as his father tried to steer him toward a stage career. After the boy kept sneaking in to practice with a potato and broom handle, a resigned papa figured he could make the most of his son's determination. In 1919, at age 6, Mosconi more than held his own in a match against world champion Ralph Greenleaf, and at age 11, he became the juvenile champ. From there, there was no slowing the man The New York Times called the Babe Ruth of his sport, who once sunk a record 526 shots in a row and won the world billiards title 13 times over 15 years.
Last edited by jusplay4fun on Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Re: Just for Fun

Postby jimboston on Tue May 16, 2023 7:28 pm

Shirley Temple?
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby ConfederateSS on Wed May 17, 2023 12:25 am

jimboston wrote:Shirley Temple?

--------I think because later Jimmy B, she was an Ambassador.... :roll: ....She is known for Ship Lolly Pops....Where I come from...We call them SUCKERS........Yes, Jimmy B....you are correct...with ??????????.... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed May 17, 2023 12:38 am

ConfederateSS wrote:
jimboston wrote:Shirley Temple?

--------I think because later Jimmy B, she was an Ambassador.... :roll: ....She is known for Ship Lolly Pops....Where I come from...We call them SUCKERS........Yes, Jimmy B....you are correct...with ??????????.... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)

ConfedSS is correct on this point:

Few child stars in history have as much notoriety as Shirley Temple. When she was 4 years old, Temple was already lighting up the screen in a series of film shorts called Baby Burlesks (1932). By age seven, she had already appeared in more than 10 feature films and earned a special juvenile Academy Award, and that was before she became Hollywood's No. 1 box office draw for four years running. Temple eventually aged out of her bread-and-butter roles as America's dimple-cheeked sweetheart, and her film career was over by the time she legally became an adult. Fortunately, she avoided the tragedies that plagued many of the child stars who followed in her footsteps by launching a successful second act as a prominent diplomat. Temple, who eventually went by her married name, Shirley Temple Black, was a delegate to the U.N. General Assembly from 1969 to 1970, served as U.S. ambassador to Ghana from 1974 to 1976, was the chief of protocol for President Gerald Ford, and served as ambassador to Czechoslovakia from 1989 to 1992, among other diplomatic roles.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby ConfederateSS on Wed May 17, 2023 12:48 am

-------------That is The Problem, The Down Fall of Mankind....Lets Go Back ....When Mankind was Excelling...
------- You want a Real Prodigy.... Jp4fun....And Yes, I see through Military lenses....Ozymandias...No , not Mozart....
------- RAMESSES The GREAT, or Ramesses II....
------- Most Greats follow their fathers... Hannibal, Xerxes etc....
------- The Great Seti I , named Ramesses II The Caption of the Army at age 10....Named him Crown Prince/ Regent at age 14...Much like The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia MBS today....Though SETI was Ruler...Ramesses II was learning and Ruling under his Father's shadow...As Seti wanted....Ramesses was a Child Military Prodigy...As Egypt would win back large sections of territory, lost by the previous Dynasty....
-------- Ramesses would give the world it's 1st Peace Treaty, with the Hittites....on Display at the U.N...,Mozart, Shirley...Here comes the ?????????????????...
-------- But let today's brainwashed minds....Look to Actors, Athletes, For Prodigies.... :lol: :lol: ....Yay!!...For Mankind... :roll: :roll: :roll:
... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed May 17, 2023 1:53 am

ConfederateSS wrote:-------------That is The Problem, The Down Fall of Mankind....Lets Go Back ....When Mankind was Excelling...
------- You want a Real Prodigy.... Jp4fun....And Yes, I see through Military lenses....Ozymandias...No , not Mozart....
------- RAMESSES The GREAT, or Ramesses II....
------- Most Greats follow their fathers... Hannibal, Xerxes etc....
------- The Great Seti I , named Ramesses II The Caption of the Army at age 10....Named him Crown Prince/ Regent at age 14...Much like The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia MBS today....Though SETI was Ruler...Ramesses II was learning and Ruling under his Father's shadow...As Seti wanted....Ramesses was a Child Military Prodigy...As Egypt would win back large sections of territory, lost by the previous Dynasty....
-------- Ramesses would give the world it's 1st Peace Treaty, with the Hittites....on Display at the U.N...,Mozart, Shirley...Here comes the ?????????????????...
-------- But let today's brainwashed minds....Look to Actors, Athletes, For Prodigies.... :lol: :lol: ....Yay!!...For Mankind... :roll: :roll: :roll: ... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)

I think we (at least I) have talked LOTS about military leaders and battles. Life is not just about military leaders and kings and dictators. This discussion is for FUN (note the Title here) and is a change of the normal subjects. Make of it what you will. I did not read (nor intend) that this is a glorification of the Arts over the Military. We need BOTH and more and ALL. We do not need to keep dividing people. I think there is much too much of this, this polarization, in society today. We also lack civility in our public discourse, even in this Forum.

One of your tendencies, ConfedSS, is to put people into two camps only; those with whom you agree and those with whom you do not. Life is not just ones and zeros; Life is complex and messy, full of many digits. After all, we have 10 on our hands (and more if you count toes.)

I do not attack people. (Okay, I defend myself when others attack or insult or try to denigrate me.) I refute ideas. I agree with ideas. I attack lies ("fake news"). I discuss ideas and topics. I usually avoid discussing people. I see no real point about who showers regularly, or who can swim, for example. Some persons here cannot discuss ideas without avoiding insults and without making disparaging remarks. I see them as small-minded and childish; they need to grow up. As a teacher, I encourage others to learn and I offer quotes and sources accordingly. I like to learn, too, so I engage in meaningful discussion and these discussion encourage me to learn by reading and researching. I learned lots about COVID and vaccines, for example.

This is getting too serious, but that is what ConfedSS's last post inspired me to discuss in much too much detail here.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed May 17, 2023 2:07 am

I learned more:

Ozymandias is a well-known poem by Shelley (1818). It describes a broken statue of a legendary king of ancient times, lying forgotten in the desert. Here, let us go through the précis or summary of Ozymandias and see what it originally depicts.

Introduction
“Ozymandias” is a famous sonnet which was written by the English Romantic poet Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792–1822). It got published for the first time in the 11 January 1818 issue of The Examiner in London. Since it is a sonnet, it has only fourteen lines. But in this limited space, Shelley explores a number of contemporary and relevant issues. “Ozymandias” explores the repercussions happened to the tyrant kings who are the autocratic world leaders more generally. As we all know, nothing lasts forever; that means even the very worst political leaders, no matter how much they torture and inflict pain on others, all die at some point. But, Shelley doesn’t explicitly say “nothing lasts forever” and “there is always hope.” He pens down a sonnet in a subtle way to explain the truth.

Summary of Ozymandias
Ozymandias was the name by which Ramses II was known to the Greeks. He was a pharaoh famous for the number of architectural structures he erected.

https://www.toppr.com/bytes/summary-of-ozymandias/#:~:text=%E2%80%9COzymandias%E2%80%9D%20explores%20the%20repercussions%20happened,all%20die%20at%20some%20point.

We need poets, too, like Shelley.

and one more point:
If ConfedSS is sad about the current age, when was the "Golden Age" of Man? When were things so much better?

I think of my childhood as being rather Golden. I am reminded of Chicago's song, "Old Days." But as a child, I was unaware of many things and the many dangers in the world. Back then the world was basically two camps: The West vs. the Communists, led by Russia (USSR). China was there, but was mired in its Cultural Revolution and other problems (like starvation). There were "Third World" Countries, but the US would back despots and dictator if they renounced Communism. Economics were good, overall, but there was repression of women, minorities, and others. Were those days really "Golden"?
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jimboston on Wed May 17, 2023 7:13 pm

Calling her a “prodigy that changed the world” is a bit of a stretch.

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed May 17, 2023 10:48 pm

jimboston wrote:Calling her a “prodigy that changed the world” is a bit of a stretch.

That is not my opinion. I merely offer this thread as a point of discussion and for a "change of pace."
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jimboston on Thu May 18, 2023 8:00 am

jusplay4fun wrote:
jimboston wrote:Calling her a “prodigy that changed the world” is a bit of a stretch.

That is not my opinion. I merely offer this thread as a point of discussion and for a "change of pace."

You made a post and put her on the list.

Did you plagiarize this list from a site and not credit them?

Postby jusplay4fun on Thu May 18, 2023 11:50 am

jimboston wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

I did not PUT her on this list; someone else made the list. Again, I put this here for discussion and fun, not to hear you complain some more.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jimboston on Thu May 18, 2023 1:09 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:
jimboston wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

I did not PUT her on this list; someone else made the list. Again, I put this here for discussion and fun, not to hear you complain some more.

OK… so you plagiarized the list.

So you don’t consider her a “prodigy that changed the world”?

Postby bigtoughralf on Thu May 18, 2023 3:57 pm

Why did you give the male prodigies a proper write up and leave the women as just a name?

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

Gazans killed by Israel's illegal invasion: 35,456
Gazan hospitals destroyed in Israel's illegal invasion: 24 of 36
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Thu May 18, 2023 5:57 pm

jimboston wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:
jimboston wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

OK… so you plagiarized the list.

So you don’t consider her a “prodigy that changed the world”?

Jp4 aren't you a teacher? Wtf man. Lol
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby KoolBak on Fri May 19, 2023 7:55 am

If you want "a change of pace", here is a series of steps for the uninitated to achieve a canter from a trot:

https://www.horselistening.com/2014/08/ ... ransition/

You're welcome.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat May 20, 2023 12:00 am

For another change of pace:

5 Famous Events in History That Never Really Happened

1) George Washington Didn’t Chop Down a Cherry Tree

2) Thomas Edison Didn’t Invent the Light Bulb

3) Marie Antoinette Didn’t Say “Let Them Eat Cake”

The most enduring legend about French Queen Marie Antoinette is that when she was told her people didn’t have bread, she coldheartedly replied, “Qu’ils mangent de la brioche” (“Let them eat cake”). The problem with that legend is that the quote is not directly attributable to her — and some historians believe it would have been out of character for her to say it, anyway.

Versions of the “let them eat cake” story had been circling French monarchs for years, starting at least 100 years before the reign of Marie Antoinette. The same anecdote with a slightly different quote was attributed to Marie-Terese — coincidentally, also the name of Antoinette’s mother and daughter — who married King Louis XIV in 1660. In that case, it was “the crust of the pate” rather than “cake.” In the intervening years, the story was attributed to a variety of French royals before it stuck to Antoinette.

In her book Marie Antoinette: The Journey, biographer Antonia Fraser argues that not only did Antoinette not deliver the famous line, but she also disagreed with the sentiment. While Marie Antoinette’s lavish royal lifestyle was perhaps unseemly in the face of her subjects' plight, she often expressed a sense of responsibility toward them.

“It is quite certain that in seeing the people who treat us so well despite their own misfortune, we are more obliged than ever to work hard for their happiness,” Antoinette wrote in a letter to her mother.

4) William Tell Didn’t Shoot an Apple Off His Son’s Head
There’s one problem: Many historians say Tell never existed in the first place.

5) Paul Revere Didn’t Yell “The British Are Coming!”

This is for jimb: I found this list online, so it is all quoted. I did not compose this list or the information that supports each item.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Re: Just for TikTok Users

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:15 pm

TikTok admits data actually stored in China and NOT in the USA (and Malaysia). SURPRISE..! ....NOT...!

WASHINGTON (TND) — TikTok confirmed the accuracy of recent reporting which revealed the company stores some American users' data in China despite previous assurances from the CEO.

“No, storage has always been in Virginia and Singapore," explained Shou Zi Chew, CEO, TikTok's CEO, during a Congressional hearing in March.

In a response Thursday to a bipartisan probe from Sens. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., and Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn, the social media platform said "certain creator data" is not protected

https://ktul.com/news/local/tiktok-admits-storing-some-american-user-data-in-china-intensifying-calls-for-us-ban-bytedance-montana-first-amendment-constitution-josh-hawley-richard-blumenthal-marsha-blackburn-chinese-communist-party-the-youth-public-health-safety-national-security
Last edited by jusplay4fun on Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:30 pm

Humans are born with about 100 billion brain cells. Until the 1990s, most scientists believed 100 billion was all we’d ever have. Growing new neurons would interrupt communication among our existing brain cells and short-circuit the whole system — or so the theory went. Then, a 1998 study found evidence that humans could generate new cells in the brain’s hippocampus, an area associated with learning and memory. More recent studies have largely supported the idea, and suggest that we might be able to make up to 1,500 neurons a day. Though research continues, neurogenesis is good news: Growing fresh neurons may make our brains more resilient against Alzheimer’s, depression, anxiety, and other disorders.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Re: More Phun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:33 pm

Gravity is an essential force on Earth: It keeps the planet in orbit at a safe and comfortable distance from the sun, and even holds our atmosphere in place. It does have a downside, however: It weighs down the human body, making us a tiny bit shorter by the end of the day. From the moment we climb out of bed in the morning, gravitational forces push down on us, applying downward pressure on our joints, compressing our spines, and causing our organs to settle. All that strain adds up, enough to shrink a body by 1 centimeter. Gravity is at work whether we’re sitting or standing, but at bedtime, our bodies get a slight reprieve as lying down redirects the force. Sleeping horizontally gives our spines and joints time to decompress and gain back the height lost during the day, making us once again slightly taller by morning.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Re: Just for Phun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:18 pm

I recently returned from a group tour of five national parks. My wife and I flew into Jackson, Wyoming, and saw, in this order, the following national parks: Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon. Thank goodness that some of our national Leaders saw the value of preserving parts of the American West and wilderness, starting with President Grant in 1872 with Yellowstone, the first real preserved National Park in the WORLD. I also visited 7 states on my tour of the West: Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado.

The three highlights were: sharing the trip with my wife, a scenic and peaceful river raft ride down the Snake River, near the Grand Tetons, and a 45 minute helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. We then topped off the trip by spending a few days with my wife's brother and his family in Colorado.

What great and Grand vistas, scenes, and memories. What beauty. It was a trip worth the time, money, and effort. It rivals, for me, our trip to Rome, Paris, and London (and more) in July 2019, before the COVID lockdown.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby riskllama on Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:31 pm

yeah, Zion is pretty sweet.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:00 pm

riskllama wrote:yeah, Zion is pretty sweet.

I assume that you have been there, Llama. Did you go to any of the other 4 I mentioned? All five are great and all have their unique beauty and characteristics.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,