Conquer Club

Update from Paris

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Update from Paris

Postby jimboston on Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:15 am

jusplay4fun wrote:NO matter the evidence I present, jimb will will continue his HOAX.

So me stating that Arthur is a mythological character, a view supported by pretty much everyone, this is a hoax?

jusplay4fun wrote:
I did find this, from May 2017:

When the movie King Arthur: Legend of the Sword hits theaters Friday, it will add the latest twist to a legend thatā€™s been evolving for nearly a millennium. This version of the legend (starring Charlie Hunnam and Jude Law) pits King Arthur against his uncle, who seizes the crown until the famous episode in which young Arthur pulls the sword from the stone and proves he is the rightful king.

Itā€™s a fanciful tale and one thatā€™s been told many times, but where does it come from?

Some people do believe that King Arthur could have been a real person, but despite the occasional news story about an archaeological discovery that may provide clues, experts on Arthurian legend tell TIME that there is no evidence ā€” no primary source from the time ā€” to confirm that King Arthur was ever a real person.

So you just proved me correct.

Also noteā€¦ ā€œsome peopleā€ not ā€œsome learned scholarsā€. :roll:

jusplay4fun wrote:
What is possible, however, is that Arthur is based on a real leader from the 5th or 6th century. One promising theory points to a person known as ā€œRiothamusā€ ā€” an honorific for ā€œsupreme kingā€ ā€” who crossed the English Channel to fight in France. Thatā€™s something that Arthur also does in early texts. ā€œIt may be the closest we will come to locating a specific model for Arthur,ā€ according to Norris J. Lacy, a medievalist and former international president of the International Arthurian Society.

If an ā€œArthur-typeā€ figure were alive around that time, then he was probably a military leader reacting to the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain, a very violent time and a setting ripe for the creation of a legend. ā€œThere was no centralized government, and British life was essentially tribal,ā€ says Lacy. ā€œRulers would occupy an area, often a hill, that would be easy to defend. Local wars were frequent, with much hacking and ā€˜smiting.ā€™ Life being as uncertain as it was, and with society torn by war, strife, and sometimes famine and disease, it is not surprising that people would latch onto stories of a benevolent king or warlord who is intent on peace and prosperity.ā€

Sure. Itā€™s ā€œpossibleā€ Arthur is based on a real person. I never disputed this. The fact that this article quotes one historian whoā€™s speculating about one possible ā€œhistorical Arthurā€ theory proves nothing. Heā€™s not even saying he believes thisā€¦ heā€™s just giving the author of the article some speculative filler. Note the language heā€™s usingā€¦ heā€™s very very far from actually claiming this theory as valid. Additionally itā€™s amusing to me that in this particular ā€œtheoryā€ the historical figure referenced ā€œRiothamusā€ isnā€™t named ā€œArthurā€ or any version of Arthur in a different language.

So your whole post just proves you wrong. Keep going bruh.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby bigtoughralf on Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:22 am

jusplay4fun wrote:Most of the current theories suggest that King Arthur was a real person

Yes, a real person whose magic sword was given to him by a woman who lived at the bottom of a lake.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

Gazans killed by Israel's illegal invasion: 36,743
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby jimboston on Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:57 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:Most of the current theories suggest that King Arthur was a real person

Yes, a real person whose magic sword was given to him by a woman who lived at the bottom of a lake.

Have you read none of his posts since this?

He recanted this position, then doubled-down on it, then called me stupid for disagreeing with him, and now heā€™s not sure.

Postby bigtoughralf on Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:43 pm

jimboston wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:

Have you read none of his posts since this?

I try to ration myself.

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:24 am

Dukasaur wrote:On July 8th swinging back towards Paris to visit Versailles, and then on July 9th planning to be in Puy de Dome to see one leg of the Tour de France. Going to France to see part of the Tour de France has been on my bucket list since I was a kid! The Puy de Dome is a legendary leg, brutal mountain for a biker to conquer! Then Chambord and Angers on the 10th before returning to Paris on the 11th.

How did that go?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:13 am

2dimes wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:On July 8th swinging back towards Paris to visit Versailles, and then on July 9th planning to be in Puy de Dome to see one leg of the Tour de France. Going to France to see part of the Tour de France has been on my bucket list since I was a kid! The Puy de Dome is a legendary leg, brutal mountain for a biker to conquer! Then Chambord and Angers on the 10th before returning to Paris on the 11th.

How did that go?

Mix of success and failure.

My original plan was to park at the bottom of Puy de Dome and walk up to the top and wait for the riders. That got kaiboshed once the day got closer and the forecast turned to 33 degrees Celsius. There's no way a fat old man with a heart condition was going up a mountain like that in 33 degrees with high humidity. So we had to change the plan to driving, but driving with all the road closures was almost impossible, especially when you're not a local and you don't have any inside knowledge. Got turned back by cops on closed roads so many times I literally lost count. So walking to the top was out, and after several hours of trying to find a way through the blockades, driving up was also out.

Eventually had to settle for a vantage point down in the valley below. Not the triumph I was hoping for, but we did get to see the race. A tiny sliver of it, to be sure, but incredibly exciting nonetheless. Bucket list entry successfully checked off, albeit with an asterisk.

As a side note, friends of my wife (who were watching the race at home on TV) phoned us and congratulated us for being a good luck charm. Canadian Michael Woods won Leg 9 of the race (his first victory), and although he races for an Israeli team, Canadian biking fans saw it as a rare victory to celebrate.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby KoolBak on Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:28 am

Cool manno..
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal KoolBak

Postby jimboston on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:07 am

Dukasaur wrote:
As a side note, friends of my wife (who were watching the race at home on TV) phoned us and congratulated us for being a good luck charm. Canadian Michael Woods won Leg 9 of the race (his first victory), and although he races for an Israeli team, Canadian biking fans saw it as a rare victory to celebrate.

All seven of them? :D

Postby bigtoughralf on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:07 am

Dukasaur wrote:There's no way a fat old man with a heart condition was going up a mountain like that in 33 degrees with high humidity.

tbf I'm none of those things and I wouldn't be hiking up a mountain in that weather either.

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:16 am

Nice.

We walked a bit over 10k per day according to the wife's phone for almost a week, mostly in that sort of weather in Montreal. Don't worry, I still put on three pounds.

I know what you mean trying to get around sometimes when you lack local knowledge, launguage skills and an interpreter.

We had weekend bus passes, went up on Mont Royal to check out the chalet. From the viewing area I saw the Cartier bridge, figured we should ride over for a closer look. Missed a stop to switch busses and the plan kind of unraveled. Worked out but would have been much easier in English. I was surprised how English friendly Montreal is though. Being close to the US border helps.

How was Versailles, Chambord and Angers?

I presume Paris was quiet when you got back.
Corporal 2dimes

Ah hem!

Postby 2dimes on Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:34 am

Hoping for more "Update from Paris" style content here, 2dimes wrote:How was Versailles, Chambord and Angers?

I presume Paris was quiet when you got back.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:04 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:

Yeah, RIGHT, this is the part I said was TRUE. Comprehension problems? or just DUMMMM...?

More than likely, poor-ralph was HOPING to annoy me. NAW, a quick clarification should clear up any misunderstanding or miscomprehension.

Let me clarify:

Most Some of the current theories suggest that King Arthur was BASED ON a real person
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:33 pm

I just got the new (6th ed) version of the roleplay game Pendragon. I started playing it with the second edition, way back when I owned a game shop.

I don't know if I'll be able to get a game going locally, especially since my hearing is crap these days.

It's my favourite roleplay game, even better than my own AAARG!
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:50 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:I just got the new (6th ed) version of the roleplay game Pendragon. I started playing it with the second edition, way back when I owned a game shop.

I don't know if I'll be able to get a game going locally, especially since my hearing is crap these days.

It's my favourite roleplay game, even better than my own AAARG!

Very cool. (tbh, I am not familiar with that game.)

What was your big sellers? what did you sell lots of, Jonesy? and how long ago did you own this game shop?
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:26 pm

I was going to add a pic of the game, but Paint seems to have been updated and I can't do what I want. I'll try later.

It's set in the legendary Arthurian world, owing little history and a lot to Malory.

My shop was in the UK back in the 80's. AD&D was big then (and again now, though the modern version is a bit pussified). In roleplay there were various fads which everyone played for a while and then forgot - Paranoia (dark humour of the computer-run world), Cyberpunk, Middle-Earth, and so on.

Eventually. Magic the Gathering began to eat most people's disposable income. I personally lost patience with it very early on when they wimped out and outlawed the idea of the 'ante' cards.

But the biggest selling thing consistently in the shop was - anything to do with Star Trek. I know far more about the Trek universe than I ever wanted to, due to the then-early teens who haunted the shop waiting for their next pocket money . There were Trek roleplay games, Trek boardgames, Trek metal miniatures,Trek novels and comics, 'Teach Yourself Klingon' and above all, 'Starfleet Battles' which I know many of them still play all this time later. I think this was largely a local phenomenon - Trek was bigger there than most places.

My three favourite RPGs of all time (in order) are: Pendragon. my own AAARG!, and the French game Thoan.

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:20 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:I was going to add a pic of the game, but Paint seems to have been updated and I can't do what I want. I'll try later.

It's set in the legendary Arthurian world, owing little history and a lot to Malory.

My shop was in the UK back in the 80's. AD&D was big then (and again now, though the modern version is a bit pussified). In roleplay there were various fads which everyone played for a while and then forgot - Paranoia (dark humour of the computer-run world), Cyberpunk, Middle-Earth, and so on.

Eventually. Magic the Gathering began to eat most people's disposable income. I personally lost patience with it very early on when they wimped out and outlawed the idea of the 'ante' cards.

But the biggest selling thing consistently in the shop was - anything to do with Star Trek. I know far more about the Trek universe than I ever wanted to, due to the then-early teens who haunted the shop waiting for their next pocket money . There were Trek roleplay games, Trek boardgames, Trek metal miniatures,Trek novels and comics, 'Teach Yourself Klingon' and above all, 'Starfleet Battles' which I know many of them still play all this time later. I think this was largely a local phenomenon - Trek was bigger there than most places.

My three favourite RPGs of all time (in order) are: Pendragon. my own AAARG!, and the French game Thoan.

Thanks for sharing, Jonesy. I like Star Trek, but know almost nothing about these games, tbh.

I think I had mentioned that when I was teaching in public school, I sponsored a Games Club (evolved from Chess only, with Risk in the Spring). In the last few years, the games expanded to include other games, boards (e.g., Ticket to Ride), cards (e.g., Coup), and D&D attracted a small group, too. I wanted students do more than stare at their phones all the time and this provided a nice meeting place and event. My classroom proved too small, so I moved the meeting place to the Library and we could spread out.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:44 pm

AHa: I hadn't installed Paint.net on the new computer and was apparently trying to use something with a similar name. Here's the game (I haven't opened the box yet, I'm reserving that for a day when I've got a few hours to spare.

Postby 2dimes on Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:47 pm

What?

Behind the rabbit?
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:53 pm

2dimes wrote:What?

Behind the rabbit?

Postby 2dimes on Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:57 pm

Huh. That bag pipe...
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:13 pm

Terry Jones was a serious (and published) medieval historian. In 'Holy Grail', it showed ( including the dangerous rabbit). He was not involved in the creation of the musical 'Spamalot', and that showed too.

Postby 2dimes on Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:24 pm

I guess I need to go down that rabbit hole..
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:04 pm

The monks who were copying out bibles and other texts often illustrated the margins with irrelevant doodles. A very common one was rabbits attacking people or jousting with knights. Dangerous rabbits! The obscure inspiration for the scene in 'Holy Grail'.

(The pic above is a real medieval manuscript illumination if that wasn't obvious)

Possibly rabbits were simply a strange species, at least in Britain - there were none before the Normans imported them.
Originally, they were farmed, but many escaped and eventually became a 'native' species.

Lord but I know some odd things.

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:11 pm

More research, inspired by the fact that the guys above look more like hares than rabbits. Hares were in Britain before the rabbits - possibly imported by the Romans, possibly here even earlier.

I'm thinking about some leads this is suggesting to me. More may come later.

Postby 2dimes on Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:02 am

Hares were typically called Jack Rabbits here.

Update : Now I'm reading that "jack rabbit" is a breed of hare. It's kind of complex considering their only known purpose is to bring Jim Boston colorful eggs one day a year.
Corporal 2dimes

PreviousNext

Return to Out, out, brief candle!