Conquer Club

Advertisements in Movies

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Advertisements in Movies

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:I suppose these sort of tactics work for children since they don't know any better(Who was affected by the product placement in E.T.?) but adults are more aware of the mind job that is taking place and therefore are probably less affected.

Putting real life products in a movie is not a "mind job," it is simply being more realistic. The "mind job" is when movies successfully whitewash any semblance of our reality out of their productions.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:I suppose these sort of tactics work for children since they don't know any better(Who was affected by the product placement in E.T.?) but adults are more aware of the mind job that is taking place and therefore are probably less affected.

Putting real life products in a movie is not a "mind job," it is simply being more realistic. The "mind job" is when movies successfully whitewash any semblance of our reality out of their productions.

There is something we like to call the subconscious that can certainly be affected by product placement. ;)
It's not like in the Bond movies he's just wearing a watch, we are more or less forced to see exactly which brand of watch he is wearing. I think this is different than just using props in a movie to make it realistic.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:22 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:I've always noticed plugs in movies but I'm starting now to realize the shameless plugs in video games (like Madden 13 which is filled to the brim with completely irrelevant plugs).

Personally, I'd prefer a game (or movie) take longer in production or just be not as good than to see fucking plugs like that. It takes away from the experience in my opinion.

That, or sometimes the movie/game won't be produced because of the lack of financing.

Anyway, how much more are you willing to pay (either in increased price or decreased quality) if the plugs were removed? Because....

If you buy the game, then see the plug-ins... overall, was the purchase worth it? If you keep the game, then the plug don't seem to detract from your perceived profit (benefits - costs) of the game.

How do I quantitatively estimate decreased quality?

You can't, but given the resources, you could find some criteria and do your best to objectively measure it. Since we wish to be practical, we can't because It's one of those "know it when you see it/play it" ordeals.

My main point is that people complain about something, yet they still watch the film, or buy the game, and continue doing so... which is odd. Is it irrational? Or do the costs of the plugs really not matter? I say the latter.

I'd say it decreases the overall enjoyability but the decrease isn't enough to go below the threshold of "do I want to play/watch it at all?"
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Army of GOD wrote:I'd say it decreases the overall enjoyability but the decrease isn't enough to go below the threshold of "do I want to play/watch it at all?"

So it appears that AoG is one of the many who is "just along for the ride". I think that this is a pretty common reaction to product placement tbh. The question is how many will not buy the movie/game doing the advertizing out of principle/dislike vs. how many who buy the movie/game are actually swayed into buying the product advertized. The second is the really tough question since technically you can't prove that advertising works. ;)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby nietzsche on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Imagine you are getting a blowjob from a hooker. You paid for that blowjob, you didn't have to court a girl, go on a couple of dates to finally try to get her on her knees, or find out she will have sex with you but she will not give head.

So you paid for the blowjob, how pleasant would it be that the hooker paused for a moment and said, Rexona deodorant, the deodorant that real men use... ?

Alas, I may have created a new form of advertisement...

(inb4 BBS "subsidizing hooker's services")
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:42 pm

nietzsche wrote:Imagine you are getting a blowjob from a hooker. You paid for that blowjob, you didn't have to court a girl, go on a couple of dates to finally try to get her on her knees, or find out she will have sex with you but she will not give head.

So you paid for the blowjob, how pleasant would it be that the hooker paused for a moment and said, Rexona deodorant, the deodorant that real men use... ?

Alas, I may have created a new form of advertisement...

(inb4 BBS "subsidizing hooker's services")

The question is would you go out after and buy some Rexona? Would you use that hooker again? These are at the meat of the issue.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby nietzsche on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:15 pm

this was a good thread.. but Funkyterrance killed it as he did with innumerable threads.
Last edited by nietzsche on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General nietzsche

Finger of suspicion - nietzche..

Postby 2dimes on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Where were you on Fri Oct 23, 2015 after 5:46 pm.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby riskllama on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:33 pm

i miss FT...BBS, too.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:29 am

How can you possibly miss funkyterrance? He's in the running for worst cc poster ever.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby riskllama on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:41 am

he was nice to me.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:59 am

the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:00 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:How can you possibly miss funkyterrance? He's in the running for worst cc poster ever.

He was annoying at times, but I don't think he'd crack the Top 10 of worst ever.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:How can you possibly miss funkyterrance? He's in the running for worst cc poster ever.

He was annoying at times, but I don't think he'd crack the Top 10 of worst ever.

Your worst ten?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:10 pm

you're worst ten.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:17 pm

riskllama wrote:you're worst ten.

Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Your worst ten?

Tempting, but I think given my position it would be inappropriate to post the list.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Your worst ten?

Tempting, but I think given my position it would be inappropriate to post the list.

Well, at least we've narrowed it down :D
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby nietzsche on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:45 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

at times? he's the jack black of normal people.
General nietzsche

Postby Symmetry on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:10 pm

nietzsche wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

You're really going off on this anti-Jack Black thing, aren't you? He was great in High Fidelity, and School of Rock was one of the most ok movies ever.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:16 am

Symmetry wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

You're really going off on this anti-Jack Black thing, aren't you? He was great in High Fidelity, and School of Rock was one of the most ok movies ever.

I liked Jack Black best in Day of the Jackal. Being used for target practice really is the best role for him.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,