Conquer Club

Religious Freedom in the US

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Religious Freedom in the US

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:04 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:To flip your argument, should all stores be forced to serve any customer? Should the shirtless, shoeless bum be served against the owner's will?

Interesting analogy. Do you think walking into a store in a state of uncleanliness and/or undress is equivalent to walking into a store black or gay?

How do you negotiate your argument that citizens must treat each other equally any time a community or group is involved?

The reason governments exist is to safeguard their citizens and uphold a stable society. I find it totally bizarre that you (and Duk) are advocating for a government that refuses to do that.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:00 am

mrswdk wrote:
The reason governments exist is to safeguard their citizens and uphold a stable society. I find it totally bizarre that you (and Duk) are advocating for a government that refuses to do that.

Actually, I would agree with the first sentence. That is the best justification for government.

I don't understand your second sentence at all. Why do you think that letting people deal with (and not deal with) whomever they want would lead to instability?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:44 am

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
DirtyDishSoap wrote:What Duk said. To summarrize: They have no obligation to hire anyone because of x reason. Any application/interview doesn't guarantee a job. Its up to the owners discretion of who he hires and who he wants to do business with.

In the US it's illegal to factor someone's ethnicity, sex, age, sexuality etc. into your decision about whether or not to hire them, so actually yes employers do have an obligation to not discriminate against potential employees for those reasons.

You're confusing a legal obligation with a moral obligation. Laws are written to be politically popular. They rarely pass a deep Aristotelian test of being ethically sound.

To summarize my question. In Dukasaur's perfect world, If a gay person has the best qualifications and you are hiring an employee, you must hire them to bake cakes with you all day, yet you can refuse to sell them one?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 am

2dimes wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
DirtyDishSoap wrote:What Duk said. To summarrize: They have no obligation to hire anyone because of x reason. Any application/interview doesn't guarantee a job. Its up to the owners discretion of who he hires and who he wants to do business with.

In the US it's illegal to factor someone's ethnicity, sex, age, sexuality etc. into your decision about whether or not to hire them, so actually yes employers do have an obligation to not discriminate against potential employees for those reasons.

You're confusing a legal obligation with a moral obligation. Laws are written to be politically popular. They rarely pass a deep Aristotelian test of being ethically sound.

To summarize my question. In Dukasaur's perfect world, If a gay person has the best qualifications and you are hiring an employee, you must hire them to bake cakes with you all day, yet you can refuse to sell them one?

Your "question" makes no sense.

In a perfect world, people wouldn't have hatreds and prejudices.

Alas, a perfect world eludes us. So ask yourself, "Given that Jack and Jill hate each other, and there's nothing I can do about it, is the lesser of two evils to:
  1. Let them hang out at different places where they're at least doing no harm to each other; or
  2. Force Jill against her will to bake a cake for Jack, seething with rage all the while, and pretend that I'm doing something to reduce hatred.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 am

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:

Actually, I would agree with the first sentence. That is the best justification for government.

I don't understand your second sentence at all. Why do you think that letting people deal with (and not deal with) whomever they want would lead to instability?

Because within that you're saying it's okay for people to openly discriminate against others. Being able to buy a cake isn't as serious as being able to get a job or anything like that, but by excluding people from that activity on the basis that they're gay (or black or whatever) you are still sending a message to them (and anyone else who hears about it) that there's something wrong with being gay and that it's okay to exclude people from regular everyday life if they're gay. The government can wait until the cycle of gay rights protests and counter-protests escalates into confrontations and violence in the streets and then do something about it, or it could just set the tone now and say that the right to freely participate in society takes precedence over the right to be a homophobic douche.

Also, funnily enough an identical case to this actually came up in the UK recently and the baker in question was prosecuted and fined. What I'm suggesting isn't that outlandish.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 am

mrswdk wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:

Because within that you're saying it's okay for people to openly discriminate against others. Being able to buy a cake isn't as serious as being able to get a job or anything like that, but by excluding people from that activity on the basis that they're gay (or black or whatever) you are still sending a message to them (and anyone else who hears about it) that there's something wrong with being gay and that it's okay to exclude people from regular everyday life if they're gay.

Not at all. Nothing prevents you from participating in everyday life. Just because you can't get service from Jill's Pastries doesn't mean you can't get a cake from Mark's Cakes across the street. That's the beauty of a free market -- there's pretty close to an infinite number of options available, including specialty options. A business transaction is a two-way street. Just as you have a right to discriminate and choose whether to deal with Jill or Mark or any of their competitors, Jill and Mark should have the right to discriminate and choose whether or not to deal with you.

mrswdk wrote:The government can wait until the cycle of gay rights protests and counter-protests escalates into confrontations and violence in the streets and then do something about it, or it could just set the tone now and say that the right to freely participate in society takes precedence over the right to be a homophobic douche.

On the contrary, it's because governments are playing identity politics that the situation escalates into protests and counter-protests. There's no rational reason to go into the store of someone who hates you and demand service, except to force political confrontation. The path of least resistance, the path of live and let live, is simply to go to the shop across the street where they would LOVE to get your business.

Discrimination is costly. If you won't serve gays or you won't serve Jews or you won't serve Sikhs or you won't serve blacks or you won't serve any group, you're cutting yourself off from a source of business. Over time, businesses that don't discriminate will do better than businesses that do. Prejudice is something that pretty much punishes itself.

The overwhelming majority of businesses do not discriminate. This was true even before they were forced to not discriminate. It simply makes good business sense to judge your employees only by their skills and to judge your customers only by their bank accounts. The small minority of businesses who do discriminate aren't hurting anyone. Jill's Pastries sitting over there in a corner isn't making any trouble for anyone, dealing with her small and exclusive clientele of born-again Baptists.

Everybody knows Metrosexual Mark makes the best cakes in town. The only reason why a gay man would want to go to Jill's is because he knows it offends her. He wants to get in her face and force a confrontation, because he knows there will be unpleasant legal consequences for her. This is not laissez-faire. This is identity politics, and it's a dirty and nasty business.

mrswdk wrote:Also, funnily enough an identical case to this actually came up in the UK recently and the baker in question was prosecuted and fined. What I'm suggesting isn't that outlandish.

Nobody said it was outlandish. Just wrong. It's the mainstream status quo. People of strong religious beliefs who just want to be left alone are increasingly being attacked (legally) which I believe is what this thread was initially about.

Where I live there's no cake issues that I've heard of, but there is a very serious issue with people that are enrolling in Catholic schools and then suing, claiming that they have a constitutional right to not have religious indoctrination forced on them. Well, yeah, you have that right, but then why did you enroll in a Catholic school? It would seem to me that by signing up for a Catholic (or Protestant, or Jewish, or Buddhist) school, you are giving them permission to religiously indoctrinate you. If you don't want that, there's a perfectly good public school system you can go to. If you hate religion, then enrolling in a religious school and yelling "help, help, I'm being oppressed" is ludicrously self-serving and hypocritical. Shockingly, the courts are buying it. It's no different than a gay couple that deliberately goes to find a cake shop owned by a born-again so they can have a confrontation.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am

Dukasaur wrote:Just as you have a right to discriminate and choose whether to deal with Jill or Mark or any of their competitors, Jill and Mark should have the right to discriminate and choose whether or not to deal with you.

I know you don't really believe that picking the store you shop at based on which offers the better service or product is the same as picking which customers you serve based on whether they're gay or not.

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:The government can wait until the cycle of gay rights protests and counter-protests escalates into confrontations and violence in the streets and then do something about it, or it could just set the tone now and say that the right to freely participate in society takes precedence over the right to be a homophobic douche.

On the contrary, it's because governments are playing identity politics that the situation escalates into protests and counter-protests.

Yeah, if governments didn't acknowledge discrimination then people would stop believing that discrimination existed.

Dukasaur wrote:There's no rational reason to go into the store of someone who hates you and demand service

No, but there is a pretty rational reason to go into a bakery and ask for a cake.

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:Also, funnily enough an identical case to this actually came up in the UK recently and the baker in question was prosecuted and fined. What I'm suggesting isn't that outlandish.

Nobody said it was outlandish. Just wrong. It's the mainstream status quo. People of strong religious beliefs who just want to be left alone are increasingly being attacked (legally) which I believe is what this thread was initially about.

And baking a cake for someone is not an assault on the baker's religion, which is what my reply was about.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:17 am

mrswdk wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:To flip your argument, should all stores be forced to serve any customer? Should the shirtless, shoeless bum be served against the owner's will?

Interesting analogy. Do you think walking into a store in a state of uncleanliness and/or undress is equivalent to walking into a store black or gay?

How do you negotiate your argument that citizens must treat each other equally any time a community or group is involved?

What's the difference between walking into a store with a shirt on vs no shirt? It's not like cleanliness is gonna be all that different in reality--your shirt is covered in your germs. Interesting you ignored the club scenario.

It isn't refusing to uphold a society, it's upholding a liberal society, protecting the rights of the individual against the oppressive force of the multitude. Again, should i be forced to allow anyone into my home and allow them access to my things? A privately held property like business isn't any different.

mrs wrote:Because within that you're saying it's okay for people to openly discriminate against others.

Yes, absolutely. You're saying that it's acceptable for the government to force you to believe what they want. If someone has prejudices it's their natural right to have them. Those prejudices only extend to where they don't interfere with the rights of a person. If i don't like British chinaboos i can't assault them, but i damn well don't have to interact with them or allow them onto my property.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby tzor on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:06 pm

mrswdk wrote:You still haven't really said why 'freedom' means that morally it is desirable for a government to allow its citizens to discriminate against people they don't like.

For a government to allow? There is your problem right there. The all powerful ever living government controls all the actions of the citizens and only by the divine good graces of the government can the citizen do anything (Don't you dare breathe without paying the breath tax).

It's not the role of government to "allow" citizens to do anything. People discriminate against people all the time for an infinite number of reasons. Some CC players in clans discriminate against CC players in other clans. Yankee fans discriminate against Red Sox fans and vice versa. Boo Hoo and cry me a river.

The real solution is the FREE MARKET whereby if there is a need and a profit can be made by it someone will appear and provide that service and make a profit; in turn getting more and more people to join the bandwagon and in so doing lower the price of that service.

It's a true fact that, at least in the United States, true discrimination required the actions of government (as in, for example the Jim Crow laws). When the government attempts to solve "discrimination" it actually creates a market distortion that creates a different and opposite discrimination in the process.
Cadet tzor

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:22 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Interesting you ignored the club scenario.

Because it's not relevant. Dress codes are applied uniformly to everyone, and anyone can adhere to a dress code by putting on compliant outfit. Refusing to serve gay people is discrimination specifically against gay people only, and gay people can't just decide to be straight for the day in order to get that cake.

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:protecting the rights of the individual against the oppressive force of the multitude.

Except when that individual is a gay person being discriminated against, at which point you'd rather protect the homophobe.

It's so oppressive having a government that won't let you bar gay people from your restaurant or call a black person a 'nigger' to their face. Much suffering, so dictator.

tg wrote:
mrs wrote:Because within that you're saying it's okay for people to openly discriminate against others.

Yes, absolutely. You're saying that it's acceptable for the government to force you to believe what they want.

No I'm not. I'm saying it's acceptable for the government to force you to behave in a certain way. Unless you are about to try and argue that the police and judiciary should be abolished and people should be allowed to do literally anything they want then that's something you agree with me on.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 pm

So far in this thread a bakery refusing to serve a customer because they are gay has been compared to:

- A business having a dress code for customers
- A religious school teaching religion
- A Yankee fan taunting a Red Sox fan

it's probably now less than 10 posts until the gay customer is compared to Hitler.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tzor on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:44 pm

mrswdk wrote:So far in this thread a bakery refusing to serve a customer because they are gay

The problem with over summations is that you summarize too far and find up with factual errors. The question is not "serve a customer." It's not like a gay person and was refused a cake off the shelf. The question is the design and the creation of a custom creation (a fully decorated wedding cake) for a specific event.

Would you insist that a black Catholic baker should be forced to design and create a cake for the celebration of a KKK cross burning?

Or an architect that is black to design the KKK hall?

Or a lawyer to defend the KKK after they burned down the houses of the baker and architect?
Cadet tzor

Postby mrswdk on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Update!!

So far in this thread a bakery refusing to serve a customer because they are gay has been compared to:

- A business having a dress code for customers
- A religious school teaching religion
- A Yankee fan taunting a Red Sox fan
- A black person refusing to work for the KKK

I shouldn't have said 10 posts. I should have said 3.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:40 pm

mrswdk wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Interesting you ignored the club scenario.

Because it's not relevant. Dress codes are applied uniformly to everyone, and anyone can adhere to a dress code by putting on compliant outfit. Refusing to serve gay people is discrimination specifically against gay people only, and gay people can't just decide to be straight for the day in order to get that cake.

Of course it's relevant, you just don't want to admit it. Let's assume xtratabasco is rich and clean. Should the swanky country club be forced to admit him into their membership, even if he is otherwise low class? By your argument they must. You should add him to the PL in your spirit of misguided egalitarianism.

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:protecting the rights of the individual against the oppressive force of the multitude.

Except when that individual is a gay person being discriminated against, at which point you'd rather protect the homophobe.

It's so oppressive having a government that won't let you bar gay people from your restaurant or call a black person a 'nigger' to their face. Much suffering, so dictator.

Except the person isn't being discriminated against. If i bar entry of gays or blacks or whatever from my home, my private property, are their rights being infringed? No, it's private property. And i can call a black person a nigger if i want, the gov't can't, or shouldn't be able to, penalize me for such. Just like i could call someone an asshole, or cunt, or faggot.

I'm not protecting the homophobe any more than the homo. If a business wants to refuse service to homophobes or skin heads, more power to them, that's my point. If there is some bakery owned by gays who insist on me signing a declaration that i support homos at a pride rally in order to buy a cake from them, then that's their right.

tg wrote:

Yes, absolutely. You're saying that it's acceptable for the government to force you to believe what they want.

No I'm not. I'm saying it's acceptable for the government to force you to behave in a certain way. Unless you are about to try and argue that the police and judiciary should be abolished and people should be allowed to do literally anything they want then that's something you agree with me on.

Force me to behave a certain way? So i must greet the person who i dislike in a friendly manner, i must interact with him in a pc manner? I must do business with the person who kicked my dog? C'mon.

-TG

Postby notyou2 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Duk, from your posts in the past it appears you work for a municipal or provincial DOT department.

Yet, you refuse to hire someone that has facial piercings. Where did the freedom loving son of an immigrant go?
Captain notyou2

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:20 pm

notyou2 wrote:Duk, from your posts in the past it appears you work for a municipal or provincial DOT department.

Yet, you refuse to hire someone that has facial piercings. Where did the freedom loving son of an immigrant go?

I'm not just the son of an immigrant, I am an immigrant.

And I am freedom-loving. I totally respect your right to mutilate your own body any way you want. By all means, ram a Turkish scimitar through your upper lip, stick a corkscrew in your ear, stuff a Jeroboam of champagne in your ass and set your balls on fire with Sterno. Knock yourself out. Just don't do it near me. I don't want to see mutilation. I believe the universe is cruel enough without our help. There are disfiguring diseases and crippling accidents aplenty. We don't need to be helping them.

I rarely even watch horror movies. There are maybe 10 or 12 horror movies I've seen in my 50+ years. The whole gamut of deliberate mutilation, from circumcision through carnival geeks all the way up to snuff films, is something I totally disapprove of. That doesn't negate your right to enjoy such things, but please, f*ck off and go live in Wisconsin or something while you enjoy them. I don't believe our society is well-served by watching deliberate mutilation and becoming desensitized to it. One may have the right to mutilate himself, just as one has the right to become an alcoholic or a coprophile, but that doesn't make those good things. And, while my influence on society may be trivial, I use what little influence I have to try to uplift society, not stand by gleefully while it slides further into the gutter.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby riskllama on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm

it used to be about the music, duk - you changed, maaan...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby notyou2 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
notyou2 wrote:Duk, from your posts in the past it appears you work for a municipal or provincial DOT department.

And I am freedom-loving. I totally respect your right to mutilate your own body any way you want. By all means, ram a Turkish scimitar through your upper lip, stick a corkscrew in your ear, stuff a Jeroboam of champagne in your ass and set your balls on fire with Sterno. Knock yourself out. Just don't do it near me. I don't want to see mutilation. I believe the universe is cruel enough without our help. There are disfiguring diseases and crippling accidents aplenty. We don't need to be helping them.

I rarely even watch horror movies. There are maybe 10 or 12 horror movies I've seen in my 50+ years. The whole gamut of deliberate mutilation, from circumcision through carnival geeks all the way up to snuff films, is something I totally disapprove of. That doesn't negate your right to enjoy such things, but please, f*ck off and go live in Wisconsin or something while you enjoy them. I don't believe our society is well-served by watching deliberate mutilation and becoming desensitized to it. One may have the right to mutilate himself, just as one has the right to become an alcoholic or a coprophile, but that doesn't make those good things. And, while my influence on society may be trivial, I use what little influence I have to try to uplift society, not stand by gleefully while it slides further into the gutter.

So, you are a hypocrite.
Captain notyou2

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:32 pm

notyou2 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

So, you are a hypocrite.

wtf are you talking about?
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby notyou2 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Freedom, the right to work, the right to wear earrings, nose rings, tattoos, etc., without being discriminated against. This is a tenant of a free society. You can take the boy out of Bulgaria, but you can't take Bulgaria out of the boy.
Captain notyou2

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 pm

notyou2 wrote:Freedom, the right to work, the right to wear earrings, nose rings, tattoos, etc., without being discriminated against. This is a tenant of a free society. You can take the boy out of Bulgaria, but you can't take Bulgaria out of the boy.

Your freedom to work does not translate into a responsibility for anyone to hire you. It's up to you to make yourself presentable to get through the hiring process. If someone has to fight their gag reflex just to survive an interview with you, they're not likely to want to see you on a daily basis.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby notyou2 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:06 pm

If you work for the government in a hiring capacity, you have absolutely no right to discriminate based on appearance. What about people with a wandering eye? Do you discriminate against them as well? Or perhaps a facial deformity of a large lump on their neck (gout or some word like that)? Do you discriminate against them?

You sir are a hypocrite and confirmed by your own admission.
Captain notyou2

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:14 pm

notyou2 wrote:If you work for the government in a hiring capacity, you have absolutely no right to discriminate based on appearance. What about people with a wandering eye? Do you discriminate against them as well? Or perhaps a facial deformity of a large lump on their neck (gout or some word like that)? Do you discriminate against them?

I don't work for the government. I work for a private company that has government contracts. There's a big difference.

Either way, however, your argument has no merit. Of course you discriminate based on appearance. Would you hire someone who smears shit on their face? Or someone who hasn't bathed in six years? How a person treats his own body says a lot about his character. If someone jams a tire iron through his own cheek, it means that either he's schizophrenic, or a hard-drug addict, or just an asshole who likes to freak people out. In any of those cases I don't want to deal with him. Nor should I have to. I work in highway safety, not in psychiatry.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm

notyou2 wrote:If you work for the government in a hiring capacity, you have absolutely no right to discriminate based on appearance. What about people with a wandering eye? Do you discriminate against them as well? Or perhaps a facial deformity of a large lump on their neck (gout or some word like that)? Do you discriminate against them?

I know i go to Hooters looking for that hairy chest and bulge of a manly man.

-TG

Postby riskllama on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:24 pm

goitre, nitwit.
;)
also, please leave duk alone - he is nice man.
Lieutenant riskllama

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,