Conquer Club

Refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Are you or have you personally spoke to someone who would refuse to bake a gay wedding cake?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes : 22

Re: Refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:02 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Not exactly, no. It's refusing to make a cake about a political issue. If they refused to make any cake for gay people, then that's clear cut discrimination.

So what? Stop implying a pejorative. We all discriminate constantly. It's the intelligent thing to do. If anything it is lack of discrimination that should be more often censured. Your manipulative and self-serving idiocy must be constantly corrected, Sym.

Your dislike of me has once again buried your reason. I have no idea what point you're trying to make beyond being basically bitchy.

If my reading is correct, however, and you're conflating two definitions of the word "discriminate" as if they are the same, then that might well have been the most banal insult I've ever received. If so, congrats, I guess.

They are the same. We've already had this discussion. I discriminate against hot stoves and don't touch them.

Either you're being extremely shallow or you're being profoundly stupid. You're treating the word "discriminate" as if it has a single definition. One that favours your argument.

Congrats, DY, you've understood one meaning of the word. Sorry, but you and the hot stove aren't the be all and end all of the word.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby karel on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:14 pm

i would not even bake dirt for these f*ckers
Corporal karel

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:18 pm

karel wrote:i would not even bake dirt for these f*ckers

They are gonna be so disappointed. They had such high hopes for you. :D
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:21 pm

wouldn't it be neat to wake up one morning and be karel for 24 hrs?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby notyou2 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:30 pm

How would you live with yourself? Going through life full of hate. It must be exhausting.
Captain notyou2

Postby riskllama on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:31 pm

i said for 24 hrs. only. i should think that would be plenty, no?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby betiko on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:46 pm

I wonder if karel bakes good cakes. If he is a great baker, that is some really sad news for the lgbt community.
Major betiko

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Someone left his cake out in the rain...
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:22 pm

Symmetry wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Thorthoth wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Not exactly, no. It's refusing to make a cake about a political issue. If they refused to make any cake for gay people, then that's clear cut discrimination.

So what? Stop implying a pejorative. We all discriminate constantly. It's the intelligent thing to do. If anything it is lack of discrimination that should be more often censured. Your manipulative and self-serving idiocy must be constantly corrected, Sym.

Your dislike of me has once again buried your reason. I have no idea what point you're trying to make beyond being basically bitchy.

If my reading is correct, however, and you're conflating two definitions of the word "discriminate" as if they are the same, then that might well have been the most banal insult I've ever received. If so, congrats, I guess.

They are the same. We've already had this discussion. I discriminate against hot stoves and don't touch them.

Either you're being extremely shallow or you're being profoundly stupid. You're treating the word "discriminate" as if it has a single definition. One that favours your argument.

Congrats, DY, you've understood one meaning of the word. Sorry, but you and the hot stove aren't the be all and end all of the word.

There is only one word. You decide you don't like something because it causes harm. Gay people happen to be nauseating to 50% of Americans. I would say that if you need to start popping Gravol to be around them, it's probably a fair case of discrimination.

What is the other definition of which you pretend?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Symmetry on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Oh dear- you're angry and confused. I don't know how to hold your hand on this, but sometimes words have multiple meanings. I don't want you to freak out and think that dictionaries are so gay that they nauseate you again, so maybe take an anti-emetic before you look up a word like "set" (arguably the word with the most different meanings), or gods forbid "sanguine" (one with two completely opposite meanings).
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Thorthoth on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 pm

No sym, you and DY are discussing the same single definition of discrimination. You just want to employ that definition for your own usage while prohibiting others from doing likewise.

Stop trying to predatorily shove your big gay cake down everybody's throats.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Symmetry on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Thorthoth wrote:No sym, you and DY are discussing the same single definition of discrimination. You just want to employ that definition for your own usage while prohibiting others from doing likewise.

Stop trying to predatorily shove your big gay cake down everybody's throats.

There's a big gay cake? You can choke on it if you want, but it is the product of your own imagination.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby 2dimes on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:54 am

A cake can't be gay. A wedding cake can't be gay. Cakes are cakes. That is part of why, I believe all bakers should have to sell cake to anyone with money.

Personally, if a customer I disagree with, wants some cake. I would make an effort to provide it.

At no point in the transaction should there be personal questions.

show

No need to discuss details about either person, including but not limited to, "I like cats. I can or can't balance a stick on my nose. I like turtles. I'm marrying another guy. I'm a moron that posts on the Internet. One time at band camp. I used to be afraid of Mexican food....." None of that is important.

They want a cake not your support. You are baking, not giving them permission to live their lives differently than you.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 am

Sometimes, people can ask to include a message on the cake... and bakers have already disproved some messages containing insults or other inapropriate things.

Crap someone told me a joke in spanish yesterday but i can't really translate it...

So a gay guy goes to the baker to pick up the cake he ordered for his birthday. He gets his cake (being a spanish gay guy he just ordered a normal cake, not an american gay cake).
He's all gay and excited, walking down the street quite gayishly with his massive cake.
He then encounters a few gay aquaintances in the street.
"Ohhh my!!! Look at Pedro and his massive cake! Ohh Pedro aren't you going to share?"
"Ooookayy guys! You guys are all invited... come to my place and let's eat it up!"
"Ooooh! Exciting! Thank you Pedro! Can we eat the cake after that?"
Major betiko

The old bait and switch.

Postby 2dimes on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:26 am

Yeah it doesn't translate but I see what it means. I like the joke. A short English equivalent would be.

First person, "I have cake. Want to come over for a piece?"
Other person, "Sure. May I have some cake too."

The premis being the person offered a piece of cake to eat but left out details. The other person takes advantage of that and replies as if they will be able to get "a piece" insinuating that to be short for, "a piece of tail." A popular phrase meaning to have sex.

If you are like me you might prefer to add details to warm up your audience for the punch line.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mrswdk on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 am

It’s funny because the guys are gay so they’re all going to have sex with each other.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 am

Did you figure that out on your own?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: The old bait and switch.

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:49 pm

2dimes wrote:Yeah it doesn't translate but I see what it means. I like the joke. A short English equivalent would be.

First person, "I have cake. Want to come over for a piece?"
Other person, "Sure. May I have some cake too."

The premis being the person offered a piece of cake to eat but left out details. The other person takes advantage of that and replies as if they will be able to get "a piece" insinuating that to be short for, "a piece of tail." A popular phrase meaning to have sex.

If you are like me you might prefer to add details to warm up your audience for the punch line.

I was more concerned to find an equivalent in english so that his friends could go like.. "oh my god, Pedro... Phrasing!!!!"
This was told by a friend from Cadiz... they are known for telling good jokes here in spain... their strategy is to tell jokes one after the other with very small breaks, so you're still laughing at the previous one, then you laugh at the next one more than you should because your laughometer keeps going up, till you laugh for very silly ones.
Anyways, that one reminded me of this thread, and I thought you all should have a piece of it.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:50 pm

mrswdk wrote:It’s funny because the guys are gay so they’re all going to have sex with each other.

Briliant! =D>
Major betiko

Postby 2dimes on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Ok I'll tidy it up. As you know I can't spell so be cautious.

betiko wrote:So a gay guy goes to the baker to pick up the cake he ordered for his birthday. He gets his cake (being a spanish gay guy he just ordered a normal cake, not an american gay cake).
He's all gay and excited, walking down the street quite gayly with his massive cake.
He then encounters a few gay aquaintances in the street.
One says, "Ohhh my!!! Look at Pedro and his massive cake! Ohh Pedro aren't you going to share?"
Pedro pauses then says, "Ooookayy guys! You guys are all invited... come to my place for a piece!"
Another guy says, "Ooooh! How exciting! Thank you Pedro! Can we eat the cake after that?"

So as you can see it was really close.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Symmetry on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Meh- I don't like the idea that a baker should refuse to bake a cake for a wedding because the couple are gay. I support their right to do so. If they refused to make cakes for gay people at all, then that's where I see a problem.

I do find it kinda weird that they're saying that it's because they're Christian. That complicates things- it's not a key tenet of Christianity to oppose marriage, and various forms of Christianity have their own dogma about it (Priests and ministers marrying? Celibacy? Divorce? Re-marrying? Marriage with non-believers?) too, even without the gay marriage thing playing a part.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:44 pm

THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby ConfederateSS on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:28 am

------I think God would say,"Let them eat cake!",Hell,he would make free cakes appear out of thin air,for all...So,I don't know why that is an issue...Once again The US Government gets to tell people what to do...I don't know if you own a public business if you can refuse to bake a wedding cake...
------When I drove for Domino's Pizza in the 90's...Southwest Detroit was worse than a war zone at times...So,if you came to a house that did not look safe,you felt uncomfortable...You could take the pizza back to the shop...Call the people to come pick it up...Or try and pass that pizza off on another order...
------So,if the Government is going to force the baker to sell them a cake...Does the baker have to deliver it?...If the baker feels uncomfortable going to their wedding...Can he make them pick up the cake?...
------For those who think the baker could put something in the cake...Never going to happen...If,the baker was going to take that road...It would have had to be done,by accepting their order,never bringing this issue to the surface...NOW EVERYONE WILL BE WATCHING...I doubt now the wedding couple would want a cake from this place...So they must be just trying to shut down his business...I'm with God on this one...Let them eat cake,we are all EARTHLINGS :!: ... O:)ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:) ...I think this is really a stunt though, TO HAVE THE CAKE BOSS "Buddy" pick up the check for their wedding cake... ;)
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,