Conquer Club

This thread is about cars

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: This thread is about cars

Postby KoolBak on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:18 pm

It's an '86. It was a gasser stock, but a 454. And yes, the diesels back then sucked.

I appreciate diesel trucks (the newer good ones), but I am just a gas guy. I basically built this motor....I know gas motors....dont know shit about diesels. And, to me, a good old gas motor, properly muffled, just sounds SO DAMN GOOD. I HATE the way diesels sound :evil:

My truck sets off car alarms driving thru parking lots regularly....fuckin love it :lol:

And with this motor, I've got plenty of HP and torque to do highway speed up long steep draws hauling 2,000 lbs in the bed and pulling a boat. Sacrifice at the pumps, but hell.....it makes me happy ;o)

Dimey....didn't realize it was a firebird. This is what I'm talkin 'bout

"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby betiko on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:46 pm

I think you should totally lift that truck by a lot and put some mean off road wheels kb. And some mean lights on top. And a mean front bumper of those for off roads
Major betiko

Postby 2dimes on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Burn was talking about his Trans Am.

I need to get better jobs for my kids. Then we can afford to play cars.

Corporal 2dimes

Postby tzor on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Here is a car that I don't think exists yet. Dang, you say? No "Dange" by Revolution Motors.
Cadet tzor

Postby riskllama on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:14 pm

KoolBak wrote:It's an '86. It was a gasser stock, but a 454. And yes, the diesels back then sucked.

I appreciate diesel trucks (the newer good ones), but I am just a gas guy. I basically built this motor....I know gas motors....dont know shit about diesels. And, to me, a good old gas motor, properly muffled, just sounds SO DAMN GOOD. I HATE the way diesels sound :evil:

My truck sets off car alarms driving thru parking lots regularly....fuckin love it :lol:

And with this motor, I've got plenty of HP and torque to do highway speed up long steep draws hauling 2,000 lbs in the bed and pulling a boat. Sacrifice at the pumps, but hell.....it makes me happy ;o)

Dimey....didn't realize it was a firebird. This is what I'm talkin 'bout

soo, that dually of yours came stock w/a gas motor? I believe you, I've just never heard of such a thing. if I ever bought a dually, it would def. have a diesel in it. sounds like you and I are the complete opposite when it comes to motors, KB - I own an '07 6.0L. don't think I"d ever own a gas job ever again, tbh. would like to own one of them little mini Coopers w/a diesel in it someday.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby 2dimes on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:50 pm

All engines have improved exponentially this century. Cummings and Cat made good diesels back in the day. GM not so much. The saying used to be those Cummings are great engines, hopefully one day someone will make a pick up that can last as long.

Power strokes are dependent on the model. The newer GMs are pretty decent.

I wish it was easier to get decent small diesels here but there just isn't the market yet. After Volkswagen lied about their emmisions people are leery about Rollin' coal again.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Mama!
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby riskllama on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:23 pm

A
2dimes wrote:All engines have improved exponentially this century. Cummings and Cat made good diesels back in the day. GM not so much. The saying used to be those Cummings are great engines, hopefully one day someone will make a pick up that can last as long.

Power strokes are dependent on the model. The newer GMs are pretty decent.

I wish it was easier to get decent small diesels here but there just isn't the market yet. After Volkswagen lied about their emmisions people are leery about Rollin' coal again.

"Cummins"...;)
and yeah, everything that could go wrong w/my 6.0L did go wrong...:( - blown head gasket(replaced the head studs from the factory aluminum ones to the ARP steel ones) for roughly $5K cdn & 2 failed EGR valves about $1200 all in(first one was still under warranty, tho) and instead of replacing it the second time threw in an EGR delete kit instead. also ripped out the catalytic converter when I redid the exhaust, as well. pretty much bulletproof now.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby KoolBak on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Frenchie.....she's rear wheel drive, thus the stance...no benefit to lifting and I like the way it sits ;o)

RL...too funny. A good buddy and I are the same way....always back and forth...lol. And in the 80's, a large majority of trucks by GM were gas....

AND:

Postby riskllama on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 pm

i put a 3 1/2" levelling kit on my truck for about $500 all in, so it sits flat. can't afford a lift kit, it roughly figures out to about $1000 per inch up here. no thx... [-( ...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:35 pm

riskllama wrote: it roughly figures out to about $1000 per inch up here. no thx... [-( ...

Sounds like the surgery I had....:P
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 am

i've always had and my dad has always had turbo diesel... tbh... i think i just got too brainwashed by my dad. I think I'll go gas next time.

One question...
So the othr day, I was at the gas station filling up my car, and I was talking to my dad while I was doing it... and accidentally put 0,9L of gas in it before realizing my stupid mistake (I fill my bike with gas, so it's not like the gas pistol is always a no no).. So the tank was pretty much empty when I went to the station, my tank is 55L... managed to add 51L of diesel after that.
My father was insisting that even that little gas could ruin the engine...
I talked to the guy at the registered when I went to pay... and he was like.. "oh, you didn't do it on purpose? That's a trick all taxi drivers do to clean the injectors... they put 1 or 2 liters of gas before filling in the rest of the tank with diesel. And the engine gets more responsive too".
So my dad didn't agree with this theory; and I briefly checked online, and people were basically split about it.

I don't know, that's about 1,5% gas I have in the tank... It will probably move up compared to the diesel fuel in the tank and it's flamable compared to the diesel fuel... My guess is that it's good for a car that moves a lot like a taxi because it all stays mixed, but if you use your car 3/4 times a week... not very good?
Major betiko

Postby riskllama on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 pm

diesel into gas = not great. gas into diesel = bad. you didn't put very much in, tho so I wanna say u should be ok. I'd keep topping it up as often as u can, tho - just to be safe. dumbass.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby riskllama on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 pm

if u notice anything "off" park it and get it towed to your mechanic. damage is most likely done already, tho.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby KoolBak on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:02 pm

I've heard this several times. Answer I heard most is it'll be ok...keep adding diesel as you use it. Add diesel conditioner to assist lubing the injectors as gas is hard on them. Change the filter soon as the gas will knock a bunch of crap loose and clog the filter....good luck.

AND:

Postby riskllama on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:10 pm

also, not good practice to run your fuel that low in a diesel, Betty. hard on your fuel pump(cheap fix) & injectors(not cheap).
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 pm

What's really cool is when one of your drivers fills the hydraulic reservoir in the front-end loader with diesel.

It's really cool when he runs it for a full shift like that and the diesel softens all the seals in all the lines and cylinders!

Oh, yeah, took six months and quite a few fixes before that thing was back to normal!
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby riskllama on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Dukasaur wrote:What's really cool is when one of your drivers fills the hydraulic reservoir in the front-end loader with diesel.

It's really cool when he runs it for a full shift like that and the diesel softens all the seals in all the lines and cylinders!

Oh, yeah, took six months and quite a few fixes before that thing was back to normal!

lol yeah, seen that one a couple times. we caught it before it got fired back up, tho.
also Betty, wouldn't hurt to throw some diesel conditioner and/or injector cleaner in your tank, as well.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby riskllama on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm

yes, fuel filters. good catch, KB.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Knight Rider!
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby riskllama on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:45 pm

for KB...Superbird.

great song, but i always thought they looked kinda ridiculous...*shrugs*
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Night Ride.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby betiko on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:51 am

My filters are probably like 6 month old. The injectors were changed like a year and a half ago.
So you really think that little gas could be bad? Less than 1 liter in a 55 tank? The taxi driver trick is a hoax?
I ll try to fill it up with diesel once in a while, the tank is still pretty full.

Did i mention i got slightly hit by a bus on the front wing the other day? Now the wing is a pain in the ass to open the driver s door, i ve bent it opening the door and i need to enter sideways. Fucking bus driver. Waiting for the insurance verdict.
We were at a red light, i was stopped in the middle of a turn from a street arriving from the right waiting to insert. Then mister bus came along, got very close from me and the car in front of me... green light and the fucker hit my front wing. "You were in my lane" mother fucker, i was stopped at a red light already inserted there, you come as a jackass stopping as close as possible from my car and the car in front... i' m moving when the light turns green and you run into me... it was at very low speed, with a car there wouldn t probably be any damage... and if it was a car... the guy would ve been careful. The bus drivers just don t give a shit.... not their bus, and if they hit you you get the damage.
Major betiko

Postby KoolBak on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 am

Thanks RL....interesting tune...like a new age Iron Butterfly....lol. Yeah, people either love or hate the birds.....now only if Rammstein would do it....

I think your motor will be fine Frenchie. I read that Volkswagen even recommends this occasional in cold weather in some car. Throw the conditioner in just to be sure / help out...like I (first) and RL (second) recommended ....lol

AND:

Postby 2dimes on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 am

Sea foam.
Corporal 2dimes

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,