Conquer Club

Greatest naval victories in history

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Greatest naval victories in history

Postby mrswdk on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:45 am

I'll start with my favorite: the Battle of Bubiyan, when almost the entire Iraqi Navy was wiped out by America in 13 hours flat.

The Battle of Bubiyan was a naval engagement of the Gulf War, that occurred in the waters between Bubiyan Island and the Shatt al-Arab marshlands, where the bulk of the Iraqi Navy, while attempting to flee to Iran, much like the Iraqi Air Force, was engaged and destroyed by Coalition warships and helicopters.

The battle was completely one-sided. Lynx helicopters of the British Royal Navy using Sea Skua missiles were responsible for destroying 14 vessels (3 minesweepers, 1 minelayer, 3 TNC 45 Fast Attack Craft, 2 Zhuk-class patrol boats, 2 Polnocny-class landing ships, 2 salvage vessels, 1 Type 43 minelayer and 1 other vessel) during the battle. The battle saw 21 separate engagements over a course of 13 hours. A total of 21 of the 22 ships that attempted to escape were destroyed. While Canadian personnel were present, only British and American personnel ended up actually engaging Iraqi forces during the firefight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bubiyan
Lieutenant mrswdk

Re: Greatest naval victories in history

Postby mrswdk on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:49 am

A close second: the Battle of the Nile, when the British sailed up to the French fleet, the French promptly went to sleep, and the English annihilated them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Nile
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:54 am

mrswdk wrote:I'll start with my favorite: the Battle of Bubiyan, when almost the entire Iraqi Navy was wiped out by America in 13 hours flat.

Lynx helicopters of the British Royal Navy using Sea Skua missiles were responsible for destroying 14 vessels (3 minesweepers, 1 minelayer, 3 TNC 45 Fast Attack Craft, 2 Zhuk-class patrol boats, 2 Polnocny-class landing ships, 2 salvage vessels, 1 Type 43 minelayer and 1 other vessel) during the battle. The battle saw 21 separate engagements over a course of 13 hours. A total of 21 of the 22 ships that attempted to escape were destroyed. While Canadian personnel were present, only British and American personnel ended up actually engaging Iraqi forces during the firefight.

So the Brits did two thirds of the fighting, but you give the credit to the Americans?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:01 am

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:I'll start with my favorite: the Battle of Bubiyan, when almost the entire Iraqi Navy was wiped out by America in 13 hours flat.

Lynx helicopters of the British Royal Navy using Sea Skua missiles were responsible for destroying 14 vessels (3 minesweepers, 1 minelayer, 3 TNC 45 Fast Attack Craft, 2 Zhuk-class patrol boats, 2 Polnocny-class landing ships, 2 salvage vessels, 1 Type 43 minelayer and 1 other vessel) during the battle. The battle saw 21 separate engagements over a course of 13 hours. A total of 21 of the 22 ships that attempted to escape were destroyed. While Canadian personnel were present, only British and American personnel ended up actually engaging Iraqi forces during the firefight.

So the Brits did two thirds of the fighting, but you give the credit to the Americans?

Good point, well spotted. I guess the naval victory of the Gulf War was actually a British engagement then.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:05 am

Someones sour.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby mrswdk on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:09 am

DirtyDishSoap wrote:Someones sour.

Please let's just talk about cool naval victories. Do you have any favorites?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:23 am

Of the Chinese variety in recent history? Sorry, can't find any.

Edit - I'll tickle your pickle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leyte_Gulf
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Postby mrswdk on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:31 am

Doesn't have to be Chinese.

One big fleet picking on a weaker one 1/5 of its size isn't that cool.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:46 am

Gee, it's almost as if it's a time of war, where time outs don't exist and it's a kill or be killed scenario. Wonder why they attacked a smaller fleet? Weiiiird.

I'll be sure to tell future leaders that from now on, we fight wars with muskets, and we trade shots. First volley is flipped with a coin, to keep it fair.
Also, if someone dies on one side, then it would only be fair for the other side to remove one or more soldier(s) to the sideline to await their turn to return to the field to even the numbers.
Dukasaur wrote:

Postby mrswdk on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 am

Yeah but that sort of victory is boring. Germany invading France in WW2 wasn't cool because it was really easy, whereas the Allies invading France on D-Day was cool because it was much more difficult for them to pull off successfully. Ya seen?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:01 am

Didn't realize a battle had to be cool to make it to this list.
Dukasaur wrote:

Postby mrswdk on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:05 am

Well it has to be great, which will probably make it cool as well.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:34 am

The Falklands War kind of counts as a Naval battle, right?
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby mrswdk on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:59 am

Go for it.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby King_Herpes on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:40 pm

When IT ate off Georgie's arm for sailing that stupid fucking boat straight into his house.
Sorry about your little butt ✪ Dumb fucking e-lambs the lot of you
Lieutenant King_Herpes

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Defeat of the Spanish Armada. God helped out with the weather there I think.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Bernie Sanders on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 am

Battle of Midway

....drops mic.....walks off stage
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:00 am

...pics up mic...

Jutland... drops mic again...

not the greatest victory, but definitely the greatest battle just based on sheer size of ships and number of guns
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby mrswdk on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 am

I have to admit generally I've always maintained just enough of an army to deter people while playing the cultural diplomatic game.

Huayna just rolled up on me with 8 galleons and I had like one ship to try and stop him with, now I'm getting rolled over like a mother.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tzor on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:32 pm

The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement taking place on October 7th, 1571 when a fleet of the Holy League, of which the Venetian Empire and the Spanish Empire were the main powers, inflicted a major defeat on the fleet of the Ottoman Empire in the Gulf of Patras, where the Ottoman forces sailing westwards from their naval station in Lepanto (the Venetian name of ancient Naupactus Ναύπακτος, Ottoman İnebahtı) met the fleet of the Holy League sailing east from Messina, Sicily. The Holy League was a coalition of European Catholic maritime states arranged by Pope Pius V and led by admiral John of Austria, as agreed between Philip II of Spain, who largely financed the League, and the Venetian Republic (main contributor of ships).
Cadet tzor

Postby ConfederateSS on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:50 pm

--------The saving of THE WEST FROM THE EAST.........In 2 battles...out numbered 6 to 1 in ships, all the ships were the same so no one should have had an advantage in that manner...THEMISTOCLES DESTROYING THE PERSIANS IN THE SAME ATTACK FORCE AT ARTEMISIUM AND SALAMIS.....IT ALL CAME DOWN TO WHO WAS FASTER...A BATTLE OF SPEED VS SPEED ,AS THEY RAMMED EACH OTHER'S SHIPS... =D> =D> =D> But credit for the battle will always be given to the land part of the attack...THE 300... :( ...Oh,well...it's all GREEK to me... ;) :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Sergeant ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby ConfederateSS on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:58 pm

tzor wrote:The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement taking place on October 7th, 1571 when a fleet of the Holy League, of which the Venetian Empire and the Spanish Empire were the main powers, inflicted a major defeat on the fleet of the Ottoman Empire in the Gulf of Patras, where the Ottoman forces sailing westwards from their naval station in Lepanto (the Venetian name of ancient Naupactus Ναύπακτος, Ottoman İnebahtı) met the fleet of the Holy League sailing east from Messina, Sicily. The Holy League was a coalition of European Catholic maritime states arranged by Pope Pius V and led by admiral John of Austria, as agreed between Philip II of Spain, who largely financed the League, and the Venetian Republic (main contributor of ships).

----They must have had a poor feeling in their stomach ,as again the Turks got their ass whipped...In Malta in 1565...May--Sept...700 Knights of St.John vs 40,000 Turks...Would fight it out in The Siege of Malta,as The Turks tried to take the island as a stepping stone to Rome...Known as The Last Battle of The Crusades...WEST ONCE AGAIN GAVE THE EAST A BLOODY NOSE... =D> :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Sergeant ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby waauw on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:28 am

mrswdk wrote:I have to admit generally I've always maintained just enough of an army to deter people while playing the cultural diplomatic game.

Huayna just rolled up on me with 8 galleons and I had like one ship to try and stop him with, now I'm getting rolled over like a mother.

Civ-game strategies don't count towards great naval victories.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby mrswdk on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:30 am

waauw wrote:
mrswdk wrote:I have to admit generally I've always maintained just enough of an army to deter people while playing the cultural diplomatic game.

Civ-game strategies don't count towards great naval victories.

Even my successful amphibious invasion of Ireland that I launched from south east China?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,