Conquer Club

Astronomy

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Astronomy

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:00 am

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/observing-news/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-july-28-august-6/

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 2

■ The Moon, now just a day and a fraction past full, rises in late twilight. This evening look for Saturn about 6° to the Moon's left or upper left. They'll draw closer through the night as they wheel across the sky together.
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:17 am

Anybody have any luck seeing the meteor shower this weekend?

I saw one little tiny flash that was probably a small meteor. Other than that, nothing.

Partly it's because I'm on day shift right now and can't stay up late, partly it's because we had probably 70-80% cloud cover this weekend.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:27 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Anybody have any luck seeing the meteor shower this weekend?

I saw one little tiny flash that was probably a small meteor. Other than that, nothing.

Partly it's because I'm on day shift right now and can't stay up late, partly it's because we had probably 70-80% cloud cover this weekend.

There were too many clouds here in VA the past few nights to even consider going out to LOOK.
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:31 pm

I do not consider this worthy of looking, if one only see this few really good meteors in 9 hours.

and more:
https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/meteors/get-ready-for-a-great-perseid-meteor-shower/
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:41 pm

JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:12 am

https://findstarlink.com/

Find Starlink
Check when you can see it!

find Starlink satellites; a cool site to see a string of them in the sky
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:11 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:
https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/observing-news/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-july-28-august-6/

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 2

■ The Moon, now just a day and a fraction past full, rises in late twilight. This evening look for Saturn about 6° to the Moon's left or upper left. They'll draw closer through the night as they wheel across the sky together.

I saw Jupiter very near the moon tonight, about the 4 o’clock position relative to the nearly full moon.

See the “Observing” section of the link above for current views.

try this:

On October 2, the Pleiades will be visible near the moon.
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:14 pm

Catch the Moon visiting Venus in early dawn Wednesday morning. They'll be only about 1° or 2° apart as seen from the Americas, depending on your location. Note: The Moon in these scenes is always drawn about three times its actual apparent size and is positioned for a skywatcher near the population center of North America (40° north latitude, 90° west longitude).

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/observing-news/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-november-3-12/
JP4Fun

Postby Votanic on Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:06 pm

The crescent moon + morning/evening 'star' (actually the planet, Venus).

A symbol from the ancient world of pagan Mesopotamia, associated with the moon god, Sin.
Later adopted by the Ottoman Empire, and now widely used as a symbol for Islam.
Captain Votanic

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:04 pm

JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:26 am

If you like looking at the night sky, this is a good tool (url is below). I went out a few minutes ago and Orion, the Hunter, is very visible high in the sky in the south, for me, in VA, USA. (Orion is easy to spot; look for the 3 stars in his "belt"). I think I saw Jupiter nearby, and Sirius, too.

https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/interactive-sky-chart/

I missed my chance to see Saturn earlier this evening; clouds likely tonight. :(
JP4Fun

Postby Votanic on Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:15 am

Captain Votanic

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:12 am

Not my words; I copied and pasted. It was only 17 seconds. The other video I watched was longer (1:00) and did not show any difference. I think the Tampa TV Station said it too cloudy; talk about click bait. Anyway, I am glad I did not bother to set up my telescope for that.

I really liked the two planets that nearly aligned Christmas 2021 (or so). Was it Saturn and Jupiter? That was very visible and I documented that here in this thread.

Other recent celestial events were obscured by clouds where I live.
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:04 am

Use the moon to spot first Saturn, then Jupiter, as we approach the winter solstice.

THIS WEEK'S PLANET ROUNDUP

Venus, magnitude –4.1 in Libra, shines as the bright "Morning Star" in the southeast before and during dawn. It's not as high as it was a month or two ago.

Venus rises above the east-southeast horizon about 1½ hours before dawn's first light. Watch for it to come up three or four fists at arm's length to the lower right of Arcturus, the brightest star twinkling high in the east.

Jupiter, magnitude –2.7 in Aries, is the bright white dot dominating the high southeast to south these evenings. It stands at its highest in the south around 8 p.m. It has shrunk a little since opposition, but it's still a good 46 arcseconds wide in a telescope.

Saturn, magnitude +0.9 in Aquarius, glows yellowish lower in the south-southwest just after dark. Fomalhaut, similarly bright, twinkles roughly two fists at arm's length to Saturn's lower left. Saturn declines toward the southwest as evening progresses and sets around 9 or 10 p.m. So get your telescope on it early!

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/observing-news/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-december-15-24/
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:24 pm

also:

You’ll have five opportunities in the coming months to see Jupiter’s moons in interesting configurations.

It is always fascinating to watch Jupiter’s Galilean satellites change position relative to each other from night to night and even hour to hour. But in the coming months, observers have the opportunity to see some unusual geometries among Jupiter’s biggest moons.

https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:54 pm

usual source, Sky & Telescope
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:59 am

An update:

As told in this month’s Sky Tour astronomy podcast, Orion, the Hunter, dominates February’s evening sky, but he seems unaware of the cosmic prey that surrounds him.

With Saturn diving into the evening twilight and Venus drooping in the eastern sky before dawn, only Jupiter remains as an easy-to-spot planet in February’s nighttime skies.

Of course, plenty of other night-sky sights are overhead. At this time of year the evening sky is awash with brilliant stars. Most obvious is Orion, the Hunter, which strides high above the southern horizon after nightfall. Orion is unmistakable, even if you suffer from lots of light pollution, with three stars in a tight diagonal row marking his belt, surrounded by a tall boxy quartet of bright stars to frame his torso.

To the belt’s upper left is the red supergiant star Betelgeuse, which marks Orion’s left shoulder. To its lower right is icy-white Rigel, marking this hunter’s left leg.

Orion and nearby constellationsThe prominent stars of Orion appear high above the southern horizon on February evenings. Surrounding him are several star patterns that ancient skywatchers recognized as various animals — and a long, winding river.
Sky & Telescope
In mythology Orion was a famous hunter, and maybe for that reason the ancients surrounded him with several types of prey. Aldebaran and the stars of Taurus, the Bull, are to Orion’s upper right. But other critters are lurking around Orion and even right under his feet. For example, look to Orion’s left, and you’ll notice a lot of rather starless real estate between the great hunter and brilliant Sirius. There are plenty of stars here, though they’re faint, and they form a sizable constellation named Monoceros, the Unicorn.

And if Orion is such a great hunter, how can he miss a celestial hare, the constellation Lepus, right under his feet? Lepus does look like its namesake. Its head is on the right, marked by a small trapezoid of four stars, with pointy ears extending upward to just beneath Rigel. And to their left is an arc of stars along its back and hindquarters.

https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/sky-tour-podcast-february-2024/

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/observing-news/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-february-2-11/
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:36 am

JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:24 pm

Eclipse 2024

The Monday, April 8, 2024, total solar eclipse will cross North America, passing over Mexico, the United States, and Canada. The total solar eclipse will begin over the South Pacific Ocean. Weather permitting, the first location in continental North America that will experience totality is Mexico’s Pacific coast at around 11:07 a.m. PDT.

The total solar eclipse will be visible along a narrow track stretching from Texas to Maine on April 8, 2024. A partial eclipse will be visible throughout all 48 contiguous U.S. states.

The path of the eclipse continues from Mexico, entering the United States in Texas, and traveling through Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Small parts of Tennessee and Michigan will also experience the total solar eclipse. The eclipse will enter Canada in Southern Ontario, and continue through Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Cape Breton. The eclipse will exit continental North America on the Atlantic coast of Newfoundland, Canada, at 5:16 p.m. NDT.

https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future-eclipses/eclipse-2024/where-when/

JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:47 pm

The moon covers about 30% of the sun now, where I am in VA (USA). Peak (about 82-83%) will be about 3:15 EDT locally in Richmond, VA
JP4Fun

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:41 pm

Had heavy overcast here.

A few small breaks in the clouds. I was hoping for more. I did see about a sliver of the eclipse about 90 seconds before totality, and then it was hidden again.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:51 pm

-------I was taking pictures...But , I can't put them in the other thread...
-------I looked on line, Where to get glasses ... Target , Walmart,Ace...I went to Walmart, out, but they said you could get a pair at Sonic,if you get a drink...
------ I passed Ace before Sonic, They said out, but 2 doors down, at America's Best, they still had some , 20 mins. Ago...Of course, an eye place...Damn technology...Never said, any eye place...
------ Detroit had 90% ...It was awesome... =D> =D> =D> , the smoke from the house fires , was unusually low... Southwest, Detroit had a nice Total Eclipse of the Heart... :D ...With no lead in the air... ;)
... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:) ...
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:46 pm

I hadn't expected to be anywhere near it, in fact had completely blanked on the date, given it was nowhere near CA. But by chance I was in Dover DE, where we had about 80% totality. Hardly noticeable - about like a cloudy day.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:I hadn't expected to be anywhere near it, in fact had completely blanked on the date, given it was nowhere near CA. But by chance I was in Dover DE, where we had about 80% totality. Hardly noticeable - about like a cloudy day.

Yes, agreed, Jonesy; I was expecting it to be a bit darker, at about 81% coverage here. I got the glasses and THAT was worth it. I distributed about one dozen to my students today; I will hear from them on Wednesday (alternate day schedules). My four year old granddaughter looked through glasses; I am not sure that she comprehended what was happening.

I had ABC News on TV and they covered several sites of Totality AND THAT was really cool. Weather cooled and it was DARK. The shadow of the circle moved over 1,000 mph (over 1600 km/hr) and there was one shot from the ISS and that looked cool, too. But I did not see it actually move in that short video segment. NBC News had a reporter in an airplane; that looked cool, but that did not capture it as well as I had hoped.

It was said that the totality lasted about 4 minutes in most US locations today. In 2017, that I also viewed in some 80% coverage, totality lasted only a bit over 2 minutes. I do not know why.

The area of partial is due to a "secondary" shadow (my term). I was not able to duplicate that using my phone flashlight on a globe. I only got the primary shadow, using a pencil point (and the rest of the pencil, of course). I may read more on those topics to learn more. Most of the US got some coverage; I think CA was only 20% or so.
JP4Fun

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,