Conquer Club

How do you meal plan?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which core philosophy do you use?

Protein-first
50%
Carb-first
No votes
Vegetable-first
No votes
Sauce-first
No votes
Style-first
13%
Combination
No votes
None
13%
Other (Write-in)
25%

Total votes : 8

How do you meal plan?

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 pm

As you decide what to make for dinner or purchase, what is the first item you decide on?

Sometimes I will use a carb-first approach (e.g. I had pasta last night so tonight I will have potatoes).
In the summer months when I have lots of fresh veggies, I might use a vegetable first approach, but more likely I just match up the veggies to the protein (next option)
Protein-first is my normal approach. I will take some meat out of the freezer, or fresh from the butcher and then design the meal around the meat I have (or decide for vegetarian).
I am thinking of switching to a sauce-first approach, since I have so many hot sauces. The way it will work is I decide on a hot sauce and then make a meal that fits that sauce. So if it's Valentina night, that means fish sticks. Crystal night can be burgers. Super hot night usually means some kind of carb to cut the burn. Since I'm also a saucier I could theoretically add sauces that aren't hot sauces.
Style first is for those lamewads who say shit like "I'm feeling like Indian food tonight" or "I'm thinking Chinese" and then order Butter Chicken (a UK dish) or Chop Suey (a US dish). These people are irrational. You should steer clear of them - unless they say "Meat and potatoes" and that is the only style they ever pick; those people are ok.
Combination is for if you don't really have a set thing, you just base it on whatever food is going to go bad soon or whatever.
None is for the thoughtless who just grab whatever, and don't understand why someone would even study meal planning.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Re: How do you meal plan?

Postby nietzsche on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:27 pm

you guys have Valentina?

I've recently started using it more, I used other brands of that similar hot sauce, and recently gave Valentina a try. I like the "Muy Picante" variation.

I do this snack lately to watch a game or something on tv. 2 hot dogs or sausages whatever you call it, 100gr or so of gouda cheese, and a cucumber, chop all, then add a lot of Valentina Muy picante, jugo Maggi, soy sauce, english sauce, salt and ten limes. It must have a lot of Valentina, enough to make you cry if you drink a spoon of the juice.

show
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 pm

You have to go to the specialty stores to get Valentina. I never use the black though, just the normal.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby KoolBak on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Wow...DY, you put a lot more thought into it than I. How many are you cooking for?

I pretty much do 95% of the cooking for our family of 4 for...20 years now....

Assuming you're talking dinners. I use what we have and try to find new recipes that sound good (aside from my go-tos). Wife gets awesome deals on bulk purchases of: chicken, pork, steak, ground beef, seafood. So....ours is based on what we have...lol.

For my kids: always have veggies in some format for dinner. Always have fresh fruit for breakfast. Always have sufficient protein....other than that its a crapshoot!

As a small biz owner, I'm supposed to have all this fucking online presence (so I'm told). So I do it...one of the things I keep active for me is a board on pinterest of recipes I wanna try. Easy place to find it and I can say I'm being active in social media :lol:

If you want (maybe I'm being stoopid), I think you can look up "Triton KoolBak" on pinterest and look at the shit I've tried....have made every one of them ;o) or maybe https://www.pinterest.com/koolbak0147/

Thanks for a positive, non political thread!
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby ififoods on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:48 am

I think protein first ...
New Recruit ififoods

Postby mrswdk on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:15 am

I pick a meal on Monday (generally either curry or spaghetti), make three portions, eat one and then freeze the other two. Then during the week I eat the other two, and the other two nights just have an oven pizza or noodles or something.

I alternate the curry and spaghetti generally, and sometimes if I'm sick of both I swap them out for bagels and fruit. Then afterwards I go back to curry and spaghetti.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:11 am

KoolBak wrote:Wow...DY, you put a lot more thought into it than I. How many are you cooking for?

I pretty much do 95% of the cooking for our family of 4 for...20 years now....

Assuming you're talking dinners. I use what we have and try to find new recipes that sound good (aside from my go-tos). Wife gets awesome deals on bulk purchases of: chicken, pork, steak, ground beef, seafood. So....ours is based on what we have...lol.

For my kids: always have veggies in some format for dinner. Always have fresh fruit for breakfast. Always have sufficient protein....other than that its a crapshoot!

As a small biz owner, I'm supposed to have all this fucking online presence (so I'm told). So I do it...one of the things I keep active for me is a board on pinterest of recipes I wanna try. Easy place to find it and I can say I'm being active in social media :lol:

If you want (maybe I'm being stoopid), I think you can look up "Triton KoolBak" on pinterest and look at the shit I've tried....have made every one of them ;o) or maybe https://www.pinterest.com/koolbak0147/

Thanks for a positive, non political thread!

Do you mean the board "recipes I want to try"? I'm not familiar with pinterest.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby KoolBak on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:13 am

Yes...its just pics / links to recipes online ;o)

I obviously like comfort food :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:30 am

I just cook for myself, but I still like to meal plan to force myself into variety. If I ate whatever I felt like, I would probably eat frozen burritos three square per day.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby mrswdk on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Like saxi with his diet of Hot Pockets.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tzor on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Protein first - at least the general category ...
Spice / style second ...
Starch third ...
Veg last ...
Cadet tzor

Postby riskllama on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:11 pm

those wieners look disgusting, mrs...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:55 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:You have to go to the specialty stores to get Valentina. I never use the black though, just the normal.

Maybe in Canada. Valentina is everywhere here.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:15 am

Protein first, starch second, veg last.

Occasionally style first, but that's only if I'm craving a particular style, obvs.
Major tkr4lf

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,