Conquer Club

Best James Bond?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Best Bond?

Sean Connery
40%
George Lazenby
20%
Roger Moore
13%
Timothy Dalton
No votes
Pierce Brosnan
13%
Daniel Craig
13%

Total votes : 15

Best James Bond?

Postby betiko on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:23 pm

So I was arguing with someone... the best James Bond was Roger Moore of course. Sean Connery was a hairy scottsman that wasn't as upper class as he would've liked
Major betiko

Re: Best James Bond?

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:34 pm

My favourite Bond was George Lazenby. I felt he played the most plausible character, as a human being, not some kind of comic book superhero. I felt that Lazenby portrayed what a real spy would be like, troubled, conflcted, tortured by the realization that his private life was dead forever and he was now property of the state.

Second would be Sean Connery, the "classic" Bond. Maybe not as plausible as Lazenby, but he's the first one that comes to mind when you think of Bond. All the greatest Bond movies -- Goldfinger, You Only Die Twice, and Live and Let Die -- were Connery movies.

Roger Moore was totally terrible. Zero charisma, totally implausible. There's no way one could imagine a limp-wristed preppie like Moore actually beating up a bad guy. My mother could beat up Roger Moore. Plus the plots of the movies got worse during the Moore years. The earlier movies had plot holes, of course, but stuff like Moonraker was almost a parody of itself, where suspension of disbelief became impossible. It's an illustration of just how bad Moore is, that when you think of Moore movies the memorable characters are never his -- Ricardo Montalban totally steals the show as the Man With The Golden Gun, for instance.

Pierce Brosnan was better than Moore.

I haven't seen enough of Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig to have made up my mind about them yet. Both seemed okay in the (one each) film that I saw, but I will wait until I see some more before I try to classify them.

You forgot David Niven. David Niven was a good Bond, although they gave him a stupid movie.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Thorthoth on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:05 pm

Dukasaur wrote:My favourite Bond was George Lazenby. I felt he played the most plausible character, as a human being, not some kind of comic book superhero. I felt that Lazenby portrayed what a real spy would be like, troubled, conflcted, tortured by the realization that his private life was dead forever and he was now property of the state.

Second would be Sean Connery, the "classic" Bond. Maybe not as plausible as Lazenby, but he's the first one that comes to mind when you think of Bond. All the greatest Bond movies -- Goldfinger, You Only Die Twice, and Live and Let Die -- were Connery movies.

Roger Moore was totally terrible. Zero charisma, totally implausible. There's no way one could imagine a limp-wristed preppie like Moore actually beating up a bad guy. My mother could beat up Roger Moore. Plus the plots of the movies got worse during the Moore years. The earlier movies had plot holes, of course, but stuff like Moonraker was almost a parody of itself, where suspension of disbelief became impossible. It's an illustration of just how bad Moore is, that when you think of Moore movies the memorable characters are never his -- Ricardo Montalban totally steals the show as the Man With The Golden Gun, for instance.

I haven't seen enough of Timothy Dalton or Daniel Craig to have made up my mind about them yet. Both seemed okay in the (one each) film that I saw, but I will wait until I see some more before I try to classify them.

You forgot David Niven. David Niven was a good Bond, although they gave him a stupid movie.

This is truly amazing. Lazenby was the best Bond, and For Her Majesty's Secret Service is the best Bond film. The moment when Lazenby revealed Bond's lost frightened inner child to the polar bear furrie increased the complexty of the Bond character 10-fold.

What makes it truly amazing though, is that the first two posters both chimed in with the correct answer before a Conneryphiliac spouted off.

Last edited by Thorthoth on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 am

Live and Let Die is Roger Moore. He had a couple good movies (that and Man with the Golden Gun), but eventually it turned into pure camp. I am another vote for OHMSS/Lazenby. The joy of that movie for me though was less the Bond but more the character of Teresa, the Christmas setting in the Alps and the music. The last song Louis Armstrong recorded is on that soundtrack.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Thorthoth on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:48 am

DoomYoshi wrote:Live and Let Die is Roger Moore. He had a couple good movies (that and Man with the Golden Gun), but eventually it turned into pure camp. I am another vote for OHMSS/Lazenby. The joy of that movie for me though was less the Bond but more the character of Teresa, the Christmas setting in the Alps and the music. The last song Louis Armstrong recorded is on that soundtrack.

Indeed. Armstrong, Emma Peel, Telly Savalas, the origin of Orbis non sufficit and the greatest exploration of Bond's emotional vulnerability and psychological drives. I mean his bride was killed on their wedding day, for chrissake!
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby mrswdk on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:28 am

Daniel Craig hands down, for similar reasons to why Duk picked Lazenby. He plays Bond as more of an actual person rather than some cheesy catchphrase guy.

Quantum of Solace was a pretty poor movie but his other Bond movies have all been great.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Bernie Sanders on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:26 am

mrswdk wrote:Daniel Craig hands down, for similar reasons to why Duk picked Lazenby. He plays Bond as more of an actual person rather than some cheesy catchphrase guy.

Quantum of Solace was a pretty poor movie but his other Bond movies have all been great.

I agree with penis breath.

Daniel Craig was rugged and yes handsome with lots of flaws, including alcoholism and sex addiction, sort of like me.

Daniel Craig actually looked great with a bloody nose.
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby mrswdk on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:27 am

Bernie Sanders wrote:
mrswdk wrote:Daniel Craig hands down, for similar reasons to why Duk picked Lazenby. He plays Bond as more of an actual person rather than some cheesy catchphrase guy.

Daniel Craig was rugged and yes handsome with lots of flaws, including alcoholism and sex addiction, sort of like me.

There are probably at least 3 psychiatric diagnoses that could be made based on this post.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Bernie Sanders on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:39 am

mrswdk wrote:
Bernie Sanders wrote:

There are probably at least 3 psychiatric diagnoses that could be made based on this post.

I don't know about 3, but your judgement call on "Quantum of Solace" shows that you are not capable of being a movie critic.

Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby mrswdk on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:49 am

Quantum of Solace was fkn dull, brah. Rotten Tomatoes agrees with me so I win.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:47 am

Dukasaur wrote:My favourite Bond was George Lazenby. I felt he played the most plausible character, as a human being, not some kind of comic book superhero. I felt that Lazenby portrayed what a real spy would be like, troubled, conflcted, tortured by the realization that his private life was dead forever and he was now property of the state.

You are a moron. George lazemby seriously? I can't watch that film again just because of him. He killed the movie, he sucked.

Roger Moore would kick your ass any day, his films are the greatest bond films by far, moonraker sucked I give you that. The man with a golden gun is totally awesome. And ricardo montalban isn't in that movie, if you're doing some name dropping get it right... it s not fantasy island... it was christopher lee, the guy who played in a dracula movie.

Here is the amount of bond films they each made:

Moore 7
Connery 6
Craig 5 (one in post production)
Brosnan 4
Dalton 2
Lazenby 1
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:53 am

betiko wrote:Roger Moore would kick your ass any day

If he's so tough then why is he dead.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby djelebert on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Personnaly, I prefer Sean Connery, even if my prefered JB movie is A view to a kill, with Roger Moore (Nice to see Grace Jones and Christopher Walken) and if "thunderballs and never say never again affair" was just ridiculous.
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:23 pm

betiko wrote:

You are a moron. George lazemby seriously? I can't watch that film again just because of him. He killed the movie, he sucked.

Roger Moore would kick your ass any day, his films are the greatest bond films by far, moonraker sucked I give you that. The man with a golden gun is totally awesome. And ricardo montalban isn't in that movie, if you're doing some name dropping get it right... it s not fantasy island... it was christopher lee, the guy who played in a dracula movie.

Here is the amount of bond films they each made:

Moore 7
Connery 6
Brosnan 4
Dalton 2
Lazenby 1

Roger Moore couldn't kick ass though, and djelebert put his finger on exactly why. In a View to a Kill, Roger Moore was 97 years old! In the opening scene, he knocks a woman off the bed and everyone's first reaction is "OMG! Be careful you don't hurt that elderly man!" Somehow they hid James Bond underneath all the wrinkles.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Yes, but he looks like an albino Gorilla.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:25 pm

djelebert wrote:Personnaly, I prefer Sean Connery, even if my prefered JB movie is A view to a kill, with Roger Moore (Nice to see Grace Jones and Christopher Walken) and if "thunderballs and never say never again affair" was just ridiculous.

Don't lie. You just loved the Butterfly shown in Paris. Next time pick a movie that isn't in France. Here's a piece of trivia for you. One of the actresses in the movie is Papillon Soo Soo, and it's not the butterfly chick. Go figure! You might recognize her from Full Metal Jacket as the girl who says "Sucky Sucky". It's not like she's a big actor though. Those are the only movies she was ever in.

EDIT: For those who don't have all the movies memorized, this is the scene I'm talking about. If you look closely you can see djelebert and betiko sitting... mesmerized at the sight of these enchanted butterflies.
https://youtu.be/z2XO1zwKA24?t=50s
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Thorthoth on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:56 pm

The Moonraker is made of Bond cheese.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby HitRed on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:06 pm

From the camera angle I thought she jumped from a German Flak Tower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flak_tower
Captain HitRed

Postby betiko on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:39 pm

you guy are all idiots. I don't need to see james bond fight... I need to see james bond say some witty things with his skaken martini and the class of a british gentleman. I need to see bond have conversations with the bad guy and see how he never loses his cool... then he fucks his girl before blowing off his secret volcano super base.
I need to see bond use a ton of gadgets and rely on them to fight the bad guys along with his witt and vehicule stunts. This isn't some fucking chuck norris and steven seagal shit. If things go wrong, there is always the walter ppk.
I don't need to see bond melodramatic lying on a sofa explaining us all his childhood booboos. He's a flawless man. I ve always watched bonds with my dad as a kid and it was always about the giggles... you'd always have a laugh at the absurdity of the stunts, his lines and everything... because it'stoo much... but it's james bond too much. Roger Moore was the one that had the most this touch of british humour. Pierce Brosnan was in the style of Roger Moore. Daniel Craig is like a Sean Connery on acid. I don't dislike them, but the funny james bond is much better.
Major betiko

Postby Thorthoth on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:42 pm

betiko wrote:Moore 7
Connery 6 7, Don't forget Never Say Never Again.
Brosnan 4
Dalton 2
Lazenby 1
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby betiko on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Thorthoth wrote:
betiko wrote:Moore 7
Connery 6 7, Don't forget Never Say Never Again.
Brosnan 4
Dalton 2
Lazenby 1

that's not a real james bond. sean connery redoing operation thunderball because of some legal issues between Ian Flemming and some other guy, it's not an official james bond and he wasn't james bond in 1983... roger moore had been james bond for over 10 years. He'd rather have played that george lazenby film instead. By the way, I don't even know why he didn't play in that film.
Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:48 am

betiko wrote: I don't need to see james bond fight...

For the record, you are the one who brought up the idea of asskicking.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby KoolBak on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 am

Moore was awesome, but Connery.....he's the shizz......
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Corporal 1st Class KoolBak

Postby betiko on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:38 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
betiko wrote: I don't need to see james bond fight...

For the record, you are the one who brought up the idea of asskicking.

your dad did. He said that Moore wasn't credible in a fight. I just said Moore james bond would asskick your dad (he'd be one of those bad guy soldiers unable to aim at him that would get knocked out by one of his soft punches). that's just for the record, as you didn't even bother to check.
Major betiko

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,